Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo V6 compared to SkyQ

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo V6 compared to SkyQ

Old 24-04-2017, 12:55   #16
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo V6 compared to SkyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Each to their own choices as they say.
That wasn't me knocking the VM system Den it's just I've always found Sky's retention department accommodating hence me still using the Sky hardware.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2017, 13:05   #17
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That wasn't me knocking the VM system Den it's just I've always found Sky's retention department accommodating hence me still using the Sky hardware.
Yes its about getting the right deal especially when there is so much competition out there as one would be foolish if they did not barter for a good deal for their household.
Old 24-04-2017, 21:38   #18
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Given that your points about UHD and Sky Atlantic are content related issues and nothing to do with the capability of the V6, and given that two V6s together give you 2 TB, then in your assessment, the V6 wins hands down.

---------- Post added at 08:03 ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 ----------

Ah, so Sky are running behind Virgin for a change!
Not sure how you work that out.

Doesn't matter how the to service arrives it is what it gives you at what cost that counts.

Currently, v6 has no UHD sports programs so this counts against it, other things balance this to some extent - hence my verdict that they are about equal at present.

However, when virgin sorts out UHD sports from sky & BT it will be ahead.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 11:08   #19
albertsteptoe
Inactive

Services: Full House XL,Gamer 200MB Sky Q Silver.
albertsteptoe is on a distinguished roadalbertsteptoe is on a distinguished road

I have both Sky Q and V6, i prefer Sky's interface much more fluid than V6, also like people have said Sky has ultra HD in Movies and Sport, to be honest i have had Sky Q a month after it came out and i will be getting rid of it when my contact runs out in December,i watched a game on BT Sport on V6 last week so only HD to be honest when i turned my TV into HDR+ mode it looked as good to me as quality of Sky's Ultra HD, also you can still copy recordings with V6 if you have older tivo cant do that with Sky.
albertsteptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 19:42   #20
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

I can watch a recording on box b through box a with my 2 V6 boxes.

If I had a TiVo 500gb would I be able to watch any v6 recording on the TiVo 500?

Has TiVo 500 got rgb scart output or only composite?
Old 25-04-2017, 21:11   #21
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
If I had a TiVo 500gb would I be able to watch any v6 recording on the TiVo 500?
Yes, as long as the Tivo 500 is connected by Ethernet to your Hub, and the recordings aren't from the channels that don't allow MRS (At The Races, RTE1 and RTE2).

Quote:
Has TiVo 500 got rgb scart output or only composite?
It's RGB
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 21:26   #22
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Spider plant, thanks for the prompt replies.
Old 26-04-2017, 00:12   #23
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsteptoe View Post
I have both Sky Q and V6, i prefer Sky's interface much more fluid than V6, also like people have said Sky has ultra HD in Movies and Sport, to be honest i have had Sky Q a month after it came out and i will be getting rid of it when my contact runs out in December,i watched a game on BT Sport on V6 last week so only HD to be honest when i turned my TV into HDR+ mode it looked as good to me as quality of Sky's Ultra HD, also you can still copy recordings with V6 if you have older tivo cant do that with Sky.

You have both Sky and Virgin... I don't know your personal circumstances, as in, you may be housebound or unwell, and unable to get out of the house, otherwise i'd think that was a bit of overkill!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:07   #24
albertsteptoe
Inactive

Services: Full House XL,Gamer 200MB Sky Q Silver.
albertsteptoe is on a distinguished roadalbertsteptoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You have both Sky and Virgin... I don't know your personal circumstances, as in, you may be housebound or unwell, and unable to get out of the house, otherwise i'd think that was a bit of overkill!
I got Sky Q, because my Tivo was ruining so slow, plus i love Sky Atlantic something Virgin will never get i think, but like i said Sky will be going in December when contract ends.
albertsteptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 10:38   #25
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Not sure how you work that out.

Doesn't matter how the to service arrives it is what it gives you at what cost that counts.

Currently, v6 has no UHD sports programs so this counts against it, other things balance this to some extent - hence my verdict that they are about equal at present.

However, when virgin sorts out UHD sports from sky & BT it will be ahead.
You misunderstand me, Raider. You were comparing the Sky Q box with the V6. I was merely pointing out that the lack of certain content was not down to the box. That is down to the service provided by Virgin.

The box is quite capable of receiving UHD content, and does so already through Netflix.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 23:49   #26
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You misunderstand me, Raider. You were comparing the Sky Q box with the V6. I was merely pointing out that the lack of certain content was not down to the box. That is down to the service provided by Virgin.

The box is quite capable of receiving UHD content, and does so already through Netflix.
You can already get Netflix in UHD without the V6..
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 01:58   #27
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsteptoe View Post
I got Sky Q, because my Tivo was ruining so slow, plus i love Sky Atlantic something Virgin will never get i think, but like i said Sky will be going in December when contract ends.
You must have missed the comments in the other thread, we're putting Vince up for the job of content acquisition at VM.

Vince: We want Sky Atlantic and Fox News

Sky: That'll be £1m a week

Vince: We'll pay it

Jobs a good 'un

johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 07:49   #28
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You can already get Netflix in UHD without the V6..
I know, Max, but that wasn't my point, which was that the V6 is demonstrably able to give you UHD.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote