Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HELP!!!!!! Can I connect Linksys WRT54GS to my NTL USB modem?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

HELP!!!!!! Can I connect Linksys WRT54GS to my NTL USB modem?

Old 17-03-2006, 21:44   #1
Ricardonando
Inactive

Ricardonando is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation HELP!!!!!! Can I connect Linksys WRT54GS to my NTL USB modem?

It says on the installation cd that I need to reconnect the cable that goes from my NTL modem to pc to the router instead, but this cable is usb and there is no usb port on the router!!!!!
BUT then in the help leaflet it says I can connect the router to my pc using two ethernet cables-pc to modem and router to modem.
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?!?!?!? Can I use this router with m NTL USB modem or have I bought the wrong one?
HELP ASAP!!!!!!
Ricardonando is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2006, 22:10   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: HELP!!!!!! Can I connect Linksys WRT54GS to my NTL USB modem?

Do you have an ethernet / network port on your computer ?
Ideally you would need to connect an ethernet cable from the PC's network card into the router, and then the NTL cable modem to the routers Internet or WAN port also via an ethernet cable.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 23:37   #3
Ricardonando
Inactive

Unhappy Re: HELP!!!!!! Can I connect Linksys WRT54GS to my NTL USB modem?

I installed my USB adaptor on my new computer and half installed my router on my old computer. Half as it can connect wirelessly with the USB adaptor but it cant connect to the internet.
I dont have an ethernet port on my computer as its's too old, 4 years old in fact Does this mean I'll have to open it up and connect it's network card to my modem with another ethernet cable?
Old 18-03-2006, 00:22   #4
zing_deleted

Plug the modem into the router using the ethernet cable supplied.Reboot modem once lights are solid reboot router.Once this has stablised reboot pc.If the wireless adapter has worked properly you will now have a wireless network with internet
Old 18-03-2006, 00:22   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You need to connect an ethernet cable between the modem and the router's WAN port. You will need to power the modem off and then on when swapping any cable to it.

You will be able to connect, wired, your PC to the router. Use a standard ethernet cable with an ethernet to USB adaptor. Those are available from decent computer shops. However if you need to buy one of these adaptors it's probably cheaper, and more reliable to but an ethernet adaptor card and fit that to a spare slot in your PC.

The alternative connection between your PC and the router is the wireless connection using your USB adaptor. However it is easier to configure the router with a wired connection first of all.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006, 17:01   #6
Ricardonando
Inactive

Post Re: HELP!!!!!! Can I connect Linksys WRT54GS to my NTL USB modem?

I rebooted the modem, router and pc but the router STILL doesnt connect to the internet!!!

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

On my new computer it says there is no local area connection as a network cable is unplugged, but all the cables are plugged in correctly. Also on the Linksys connection monitor it says that there isnt an internet connection between the router and the internet, only a wireless connection between the usb and router.
Is the router meant to show up on my old computer as part of its LAN? Cos its not there, all it shows is my usb modem.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

I managed to connect my new computer to the net but now my old one cant lol, which is why im typing this from my new computer.
Any ideas why this has happened?
Also it says my security is disabled so anyone can use my internet wirelessly, even though it tells me that there are firewalls, How do I set up security?
Old 18-03-2006, 19:12   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I admit to being a little confused as to what is going wrong.

Would you please list the make and model of all kit you have, i.e. modem, router, USB wireless adaptors, and exactly what you have connected to what and how (wired / wirleless)?
Old 18-03-2006, 20:09   #8
Ricardonando
Inactive

Post Re: HELP!!!!!! Can I connect Linksys WRT54GS to my NTL USB modem?

Lol sorry. I have an NTL modem with a usb port that connects to my old computer. It also has an ethernet port that is connected to my Linksys WRT54GS wireless router with speedbooster v4. This is in turn connected to my new computer wirelessly via my Linksys WUSB54GS usb adapter with speedboost.

On my new computer it shows a wireless connection but no LAN therefore I cannot connect to the net, but my old computer does show a LAN is present.

HOWEVER, if I switch off n reboot the modem, router and old computer as Zinglebarb said, the internet works fine on my new computer, except that now it doesnt work on my old computer.

Any ideas? Oh and how do I set up security (password etc) for the router? Cos at the moment I got nothin.
Old 18-03-2006, 20:10   #9
zing_deleted

you cant connect usb and ethernet at the same time
Old 18-03-2006, 20:16   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Ah I think Zingle has nailed the problem there. It's one or other connection on the modem not both. Unplug the USB cable completely from the modem, power the modem off, plug in the ethernet cable to router only, power on and see what happens.
Old 18-03-2006, 21:12   #11
Ricardonando
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: HELP!!!!!! Can I connect Linksys WRT54GS to my NTL USB modem?

I think I know what to do now.
My whizzkid cousin came round and said that I need to plug an ethernet adaptor card into my old computer and than connect this to the router with an additonal ethernet cable, which is what Rob C said before I think. THIS is why I couldnt connect to the internet on my new computer.
So I'm going to have to get an ethernet adaptor card and an ethernet cable, any ideas on where to buy these for cheap but reliable?
Old 18-03-2006, 21:14   #12
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Any decent high street computer store should be able to supply these. You shouldn't need to pay more than £10.00 for a 10/100 PCI ethernet card.
Old 19-03-2006, 00:25   #13
Ricardonando
Inactive

Smile Re: HELP!!!!!! Can I connect Linksys WRT54GS to my NTL USB modem?

Cheers for the help, I'll let you know how I get on when I buy the stuff.
Old 20-03-2006, 20:06   #14
Ricardonando
Inactive

Question Re: HELP!!!!!! Can I connect Linksys WRT54GS to my NTL USB modem?

Well I got my PCI card for a tenner from staples but they were charging me 11 quid for the ethernet cable and that was their chea[pest one!!!!
Is this the right one to connect the PCI card to the router? It's only one pound, ONE POUND!! Lol http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9225...ry-5-blue.html

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Nearly 7 pounds for delivery?! Forget that! Any ideas on where to get a cheap one?
Old 20-03-2006, 20:13   #15
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardonando
Well I got my PCI card for a tenner from staples but they were charging me 11 quid for the ethernet cable and that was their chea[pest one!!!!
Is this the right one to connect the PCI card to the router? It's only one pound, ONE POUND!! Lol http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9225...ry-5-blue.html

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Nearly 7 pounds for delivery?! Forget that! Any ideas on where to get a cheap one?
This should work http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1M-Cat5e-Netwo...QQcmdZViewItem

, though if you want paypal me 2 quid and I'll send you an ethernet cable
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote