Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Powerline Adaptors?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Powerline Adaptors?

Old 21-03-2010, 13:11   #1
nick_f
Inactive

nick_f is an unknown quantity at this point
Powerline Adaptors?

Hey all does anyone have any knowledge if powerline adaptors will work with a conservatory?
nick_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2010, 15:23   #2
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground
Re: Powerline Adaptors?

No reason why they shouldn't if it's wired into the same circuit as the house.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 19:37   #3
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Powerline Adaptors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_f View Post
Hey all does anyone have any knowledge if powerline adaptors will work with a conservatory?
Well as the above reply has said, the room or any building has the input into the same electrical system board then it will work. I'm talking about a hard-wired network not a wireless setup - which may work but will give rubbish speeds when using your net connection (wireless). You'll lose much more than you would with an hardwired setup + correct me if wrong?

But if a room or new build has a whole new different electical wiring system not connected to the house/building system you are out of look. Thou you can run ethernet cable from your nearest house power point from the device then you will still get the interent connection + even with an ethernet socket fixed to the wall/etc (female to male connections) to plug your computer in - just another idea. Otherwise known as network/networking

I think of the top of my head, the working limit of the ethernet cable is 15m distance - quote me if I'm wrong folks So happy times again - pop back here to tell us how it all went bud - for good or bad

toonlight
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 19:47   #4
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlight View Post
I think of the top of my head, the working limit of the ethernet cable is 15m distance - quote me if I'm wrong folks
toonlight
Add another 85m and you'd be right
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 21:14   #5
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

I use a couple of these for updating my blu Ray players firmware, and they work great. Useful if the device is in another room to the router.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 21:16   #6
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

Bit curious about these, in my house on the new fuse box thing we have switches marked "upstairs" and one marked "downstairs" so I guess that means they are on different circuts (?) so does this mean these adapters wont work for me?
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 23:20   #7
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Powerline Adaptors? - they work better than wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroki View Post
Bit curious about these, in my house on the new fuse box thing we have switches marked "upstairs" and one marked "downstairs" so I guess that means they are on different circuts (?) so does this mean these adapters wont work for me?

Yes, would be your answer Hiroki
All the limit is that, as long the sockets/etc are on the same circuit mains board you are go to go - so the different switchs for the upstairs (socket) ring mains & the down stairs (socket) ring mains are part of the same circuit. As it's all connected to the same electrical mains board.

All you have to do is plug in the adaptors to each socket + ethernet connetions your sorted

I've tried to explain this in plain terms + I hope you make the move over from wireless (if you have it now) as the speed drop will very unnotice-able compared to wireless

toonlight
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 00:07   #8
Hiroki
Inactive

Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one

Ah cheers for the info

At the moment I am wired in two rooms but I want downstairs done so I will have a hunt online to see how much these are.

Thanks again
Old 23-04-2010, 21:28   #9
Hiroki
Inactive

Sorry to bump this topic I am after a bit of advice.

I am going to buy my parents some of these home plugs (http://www.dabs.com/products/bt-comt...-kit-4Z2J.html) but I was wondering do they only work if you have the wireless enabled on the routers??

Just at the moment I have turned off the wireless and have it wired for them and I don't really want to turn wireless back on.

Thanks
Old 23-04-2010, 21:32   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
Add another 85m and you'd be right
Depends on the speed, the cable and whether it's near any sources of interference.. CAT6 will work further than 100M on 100Mbps where as CAT5 is restricted to 100M for the same speed in perfect conditions..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 21:43   #11
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Sorry to bump this topic I am after a bit of advice.

I am going to buy my parents some of these home plugs (http://www.dabs.com/products/bt-comt...-kit-4Z2J.html) but I was wondering do they only work if you have the wireless enabled on the routers??

Just at the moment I have turned off the wireless and have it wired for them and I don't really want to turn wireless back on.

Thanks
Yes, this will work. Whether or not you have wifi is irrelevant to the homeplug protocol. It's exactly like ethernet, apart from the ethernet bit
Old 23-04-2010, 21:51   #12
Hiroki
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Yes, this will work. Whether or not you have wifi is irrelevant to the homeplug protocol. It's exactly like ethernet, apart from the ethernet bit
Awesome. Thanks for replying I will buy those for them

Not a bad price for £39 for the pair
Old 23-04-2010, 22:39   #13
nickhlx
Inactive

nickhlx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for replying I will buy those for them

Not a bad price for £39 for the pair
EXCEPT.....

...do be aware that it severely buggers up radio reception for up to 250 meters around them so you may upset a few neighbours - They also slow down internet connections and will likely soon be banned because they "got round" the EU certification - OFCOM will / are removing them when they get a complaint.

Anyway, why do you want to get your PC "on the air" where everyone can hack into them ? Seems completely crazy technology to me - and these have greater "range" than conventional wireless, so MUCH greater audience for someone to hack into you - DEFINITELY don't waste your money and compromise your security !!

Nick
nickhlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 22:49   #14
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhlx View Post
EXCEPT.....

...do be aware that it severely buggers up radio reception for up to 250 meters around them so you may upset a few neighbours - They also slow down internet connections and will likely soon be banned because they "got round" the EU certification - OFCOM will / are removing them when they get a complaint.

Anyway, why do you want to get your PC "on the air" where everyone can hack into them ? Seems completely crazy technology to me - and these have greater "range" than conventional wireless, so MUCH greater audience for someone to hack into you - DEFINITELY don't waste your money and compromise your security !!

Nick
Eh? Can I have some of what you've been on?
Old 23-04-2010, 22:53   #15
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Eh? Can I have some of what you've been on?
I thought the same. A link would have been nice.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote