Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help with buying a router please :D

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help with buying a router please :D

Old 10-02-2007, 11:55   #1
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads
Help with buying a router please :D

ok guys, my new laptop SHOULD be coming on monday *hopefully!*

Now i need the wireless router.

I want a decent router, and looking to spend £30-£40 ideally. It doesnt have to be the latest router, and to be honest I dont know anything about routers. All i know is that i need a cable router!

I looked at this router:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=78215

seems it would suffice my needs, but i actually have no idea! I dont think it even says wat the wireless range is! So can some1 hook me up with a router ASAP plz

Thanks!
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 11:57   #2
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby
Re: Help with buying a router please :D

That one would do you fine Used one myself.
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:57   #3
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Steer clear of the WRK54G in that package, it will cause you nothing but problems.

Your laptop should come with built in wireless as it's the norm these days. I'd recommend one of the Netgears, or maybe a WRT54GL (Note the L, this is the only version that's not cut down any more)
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:03   #4
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybaby View Post
That one would do you fine Used one myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Steer clear of the WRK54G in that package, it will cause you nothing but problems.

Your laptop should come with built in wireless as it's the norm these days. I'd recommend one of the Netgears, or maybe a WRT54GL (Note the L, this is the only version that's not cut down any more)
conflicting replies

can u guys plz link to suitable routers please if u suggest one!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:04   #5
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

£8 more expensive, but seriously, it's worth it:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/103185
Old 10-02-2007, 12:06   #6
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
I have Win XP running, if that matters!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:06   #7
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Yeah, I agree with Druchii you laptop should come with wireless built in so that wireless adaptor is not really needed. I would get the Linksys WRT54G router. You can find it on ebuyer. I'm not sure what the differences are between the WRT54G router and the WRT54GL but I have a WRT54G.

Can you tell us which laptop your getting?
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:08   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

It's odd, the WRK series isn't listed on the UK Linksys products for wireless broadband. That might indicate their suitability for something needed in the UK. The WRT54 series are listed, and have been around for many years.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 12:10   #9
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikesh View Post
Yeah, I agree with Druchii you laptop should come with wireless built in so that wireless adaptor is not really needed. I would get the Linksys WRT54G router. You can find it on ebuyer. I'm not sure what the differences are between the WRT54G router and the WRT54GL but I have a WRT54G.

The L version runs on Linux, not VXWORKS as the new WRT54G's do. They also have more memory, and are equivalent to a Version 4 WRT54G, which, in many opinions was one of the best routers Linksys ever made.

The WRK54G however, disconnected wireless whenever it felt like it, destroyed it's settings at will and generally enjoyed rebooting itself. They are cut down versions of WRT54G's, but they are cut down way too much. Also, signal strenth was an issue for me as well.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:12   #10
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Thanks Druchii, I will remember the WRT54GL router next time if my router ever dies.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:56   #11
dcclanuk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikesh View Post

laptop is this:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product.php..._kelkoo_search

but from comet
Old 10-02-2007, 12:59   #12
Nikesh
Inactive

Nice laptop, yeah you won't need a wireless adaptor it has it built in.
Old 10-02-2007, 13:02   #13
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
What he said
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 14:34   #14
dcclanuk
Inactive

How about one of these???

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/113102...g/Product.html

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/113108...g/Product.html

are there any cheap/good ones in comet/currys/pcworld etc?
Old 10-02-2007, 14:47   #15
Nikesh
Inactive

Linksys WRT54G Router @ PC World