Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Quick router question!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Quick router question!

Old 18-07-2005, 22:12   #16
smicer07
Inactive

smicer07 has reached the bronze age
smicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via AIM to smicer07 Send a message via MSN to smicer07 Send a message via Yahoo to smicer07
Re: Quick router question!

Setup wizard is on the linksys CD.
smicer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2005, 22:13   #17
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by smicer07
Setup wizard is on the linksys CD.
Ok, ditch it and try what I suggested in my last post.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 22:42   #18
smicer07
Inactive

smicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze agesmicer07 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via AIM to smicer07 Send a message via MSN to smicer07 Send a message via Yahoo to smicer07

Hmm not sure how, but it appears to be now working... I restarted and it didn't work, and was about to restart modem when I decided to repair the connection- appears to have done the trick. Just testing the wireless now!
Old 18-07-2005, 22:44   #19
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Glad it's working

Don't forget to set up the wireless security!
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 22:48   #20
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by smicer07
Hmm not sure how, but it appears to be now working... I restarted and it didn't work, and was about to restart modem when I decided to repair the connection- appears to have done the trick. Just testing the wireless now!
Repairing the connection will have told your network card to obtain an IP from the router, the router will have obligingly (sp?) provided one

Glad it's working, now setup the wireless security
Old 18-07-2005, 22:50   #21
smicer07
Inactive

Is it best to use WEP? Do I do this on all computers/xbox? What are these passkey things (sorry i'm a newbie to all this practically!)
Old 18-07-2005, 23:00   #22
Raistlin
Inactive

Do this from a wired connection.

Wireless > Wireless Security

Select WEP and 64 Bit (you really shouldn't need much more than that but you can use higher if you like)

Default transmit key > 1

Enter a passphrase and hit Generate

Make a not of the key that is in the Key 1 box

Save Settings.

Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

Right Click on your wireless connection and select Properties

Click on Wireless Networks and highlight your network, now click Properties

Network Authentication > shared
Data Encryption > WEP
In Network Key and the Confirm box enter the key that you wrote down earlier and then make sure that Key Index is set to 1.

Make sure that there isn't a tick in the "Key is provided for me" box.

Click Ok and then close all the open windows.

Now, disconnect the wired connection and try to connect wirelessly with a bit of luck it should all work.

If it doesn't you should be able to plug the cable back in and connect that way.

When you've done that we'll move on to MAC filtering
Old 19-07-2005, 07:15   #23
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

and here's another tip, never turn it off or unplug it! last time I did that I had to reinstall it all in order to get it working.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 13:18   #24
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
and here's another tip, never turn it off or unplug it! last time I did that I had to reinstall it all in order to get it working.
That shouldn't happen.

Mine gets rebooted periodically and I don't have that problem at all....
Old 19-07-2005, 13:22   #25
smicer07
Inactive

All seemed to be OK last night. Xbox played up for a bit but got that sorted now too Thanks for all the help- superb as usual
Old 19-07-2005, 13:23   #26
Raistlin
Inactive

No prob's.

Did you get the wireless security enabled yet?
Old 19-07-2005, 13:37   #27
smicer07
Inactive

I did the WEP thing last night but didn't have chance to do any more. Am at work at the moment, can you maybe help me setup the mac filtering, if I need to please?
Cheers.
Old 19-07-2005, 13:45   #28
Raistlin
Inactive

Yep will do.

Not sure I'll be about tonight so I'll post the instructions in a minute or two so they're here for when you get home:

In a browser window:

192.168.1.1 to access the control panel for your router.

Wirless > Wireless MAC Filter

Wireless MAC Filter = Enable
Prevent = Blank
Permit Only = Selected

Click "Edit MAC Filter List"

A new window should pop up with a whole load of boxes. With a bit of luck only one of them will have a MAC address in. If that's the case scroll to the bottom and click "Save Settings" and then close the window. If there's more than one (assuming you are only using one wiress device) post back here for advice

Once the settings are changed, close the window.

Now click "Save Settings" on the router control panel window.

Click Continue

Now, click on the "Administration" link in the router CP.

Enter a password for your router and then re-enter it. Click "Save Settings".

Make a note of this password, you won't be able to get to your router CP without it!!!!!!

Set the "Remote Management" option to "Disabled".

The next time you try and log into your router's CP it will ask for a username and password. Leave the username blank and type in the password you just created. This step will stop other people from accessing the CP and changing the settings.

Any problems just post back