Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 02-08-2015, 07:42   #1111
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

If I look at the update history I am seeing many failed attempts Windows 10 updates both on my desktop running Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit and on my laptop running Win 8.1 home 64 bit.
Both have over 30 gig free hard drives with 4 gig of ram .

Is any one else having this problem?

Ken
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2015, 10:44   #1112
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
If I look at the update history I am seeing many failed attempts Windows 10 updates both on my desktop running Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit and on my laptop running Win 8.1 home 64 bit.
Both have over 30 gig free hard drives with 4 gig of ram .

Is any one else having this problem?

Ken
I've seen that on every PC we've got. There is one common factor; two PCs are branded HP and one is branded Compac ( which I believe is owned by HP) I have installed W10 on all the PCs by using the download available on the microsoft web site and they have all worked perfectly.

My only problem with my main PC is that the main website I want to run wont work on Edge so I switched to Chrome. And I had to download a newer version of Kaspersky for each PC
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:18   #1113
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
I've seen that on every PC we've got. There is one common factor; two PCs are branded HP and one is branded Compac ( which I believe is owned by HP) I have installed W10 on all the PCs by using the download available on the microsoft web site and they have all worked perfectly.

My only problem with my main PC is that the main website I want to run wont work on Edge so I switched to Chrome. And I had to download a newer version of Kaspersky for each PC
So it is not just me!
Old 02-08-2015, 12:35   #1114
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I'm holding on til Christmas til all the annoying bugs are gone
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 13:32   #1115
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post

I understand that IE is also available in Windows 10.
Old 02-08-2015, 13:54   #1116
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I understand that IE is also available in Windows 10.
yes IE still in windows 10
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 00:16   #1117
Carlos Carboni

A problem with no real solution: PCs running windows 10 with "Microsoft accounts" and PCs with local accounts cannot share folders. The workaround is to make them all the same "type". It drove me mad for 2 days, disabling credential managers, disabling passwords etc for shares until I found the above workaround.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:24   #1118
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I hear different stories about whether Cortana works with a Mike in the UK

I can talk to my PC and get it to do things but can't speak to Cortana, is is just me?
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:09   #1119
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
I hear different stories about whether Cortana works with a Mike in the UK

I can talk to my PC and get it to do things but can't speak to Cortana, is is just me?
It is working fine here with the mic on my webcam.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:50   #1120
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Works for me with a 2008 laptop and built in microphone.

Cortana isn't set to listen all the time by default as far as I saw - you have to click the microphone icon first, or turn on listening in Cortana settings in order to be able to just say 'Hey Cortana'
Old 04-08-2015, 12:29   #1121
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Worked fine for me on my cheapo Toshiba 8" tablet, although I turned "hey Cortana" off to save battery life.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 14:06   #1122
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Upgraded fine on my toshiba laptop (which I dual boot with linux so is no "loss").

Don't like the metro stuff but I can change defaults and ignore it. Earlier reports said you could turn start menu into a more classical view but this seems to be missing now.

I'm quite concerned about privacy so I've disabled most of the data collection "features" I'm not going to sign in with hotmail and so I can't use cortana.
Don't like how settings and control panels are two separate things.
Don't like how you can't select updates
Can't seem to find a way to change wifi network from public to private. Seems a major UI mistake. UIs are more fragmented and unintuitive.
Liking the multidesktop feature.

Was concerned I couldn't find the volume mixer but if you right click it's still there.

I'm not sure how eager I am to upgrade my main pc to be honest.
Old 04-08-2015, 17:30   #1123
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Updated to Win 10 from Win7 Pro using an iso copy from Microsoft web site.

Everything appears to have gone well apart from a 'Credentials' problem. I cannot get the calendar to accept any of my accounts, either Microsoft or Outlook.com.

Keep getting error code 0x80070425.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 17:52   #1124
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
Updated to Win 10 from Win7 Pro using an iso copy from Microsoft web site.

Everything appears to have gone well apart from a 'Credentials' problem. I cannot get the calendar to accept any of my accounts, either Microsoft or Outlook.com.

Keep getting error code 0x80070425.
got to store and check for updates see if that helps
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 17:56   #1125
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...vacy-settings/
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote