Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Eurozone will collapse...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Eurozone will collapse...

Old 04-01-2017, 11:27   #1891
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Eurozone will collapse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
We're not in the Eurozone, thanks to Gordon Brown.
Really? I didn't know that. When I went to bed last night I was certain my wallet was full of Euros not Sterling...

As has been stated many times here and elsewhere in the forum, the UK will be always be affected badly by any collapse of the Eurozone but it'd be far worse if we were still in the EU at the time or had joined the Euro as so many so called 'experts' told us we should so.

We're not in the Schengen area either but the flawed ideology which led to its creation still adversely affects the UK directly and indirectly.

Last edited by Osem; 04-01-2017 at 12:33.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2017, 12:13   #1892
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So non of the expense of this corrupt, incompetent collection will land on our doorstep?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by collection? At first I thought your feisty adjectives might be referring to Fifa.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 13:52   #1893
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
The eurozone must break up if its members are to thrive again, according to a former European Central Bank official.

Jürgen Stark, who served on the ECB’s executive board during the financial crisis, said it was time to “think the unthinkable” and work towards a “reset” of Europe that pulled power away from Brussels.

The former vice-president of Germany’s Bundesbank said the creation of a two-speed eurozone, with France and Germany at its core, would help to ensure the smaller bloc’s survival.

We have had divergence rather than convergence in the eurozone from the very beginning.

“We have to think the unthinkable. And it is already unthinkable to think about the restart of Europe, which means we have to be creative.

But in order to be creative, you have to destruct [sic] something.”

Mr Stark said countries such as Italy, which has seen its economy stagnate since the crisis, would be better off outside the single currency area.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...-warns-former/
Old 31-01-2017, 13:57   #1894
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

As it stands and I have said this before. EU is not sustainable. There have been members of the 28 Countries, who just are not paying their fair share and there are some members just riding it through expecting other members to keep them afloat, while enjoying the so called EU benefits of being a member.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 17:16   #1895
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Indirectly, it does.

Not being entangled in the Euro has meant our economy has outperformed the EU. That has led to our budget contributions becoming relatively higher.
It's also worth noting that due to the way the money markets work, our economy may very well be affected by fluctuations in EU economies regardless of whether we are in or out of the EU.

We could profit, or we could lose.

Note: Although I voted remain, I hope our country prospers even after article 50 has been invoked, and once I looked into it, I never thought the Euro was a good thing. It required that countries tied their economies to Europe in a way I don't think is good for all of them.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 17:30   #1896
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It's also worth noting that due to the way the money markets work, our economy may very well be affected by fluctuations in EU economies regardless of whether we are in or out of the EU.

We could profit, or we could lose.

Note: Although I voted remain, I hope our country prospers even after article 50 has been invoked, and once I looked into it, I never thought the Euro was a good thing. It required that countries tied their economies to Europe in a way I don't think is good for all of them.
We certainly won't be unaffected by a collapse of the Eurozone or disintegration of the EU but staying in wouldn't have prevented it. The longer they kick the can down the road, the worse the fallout will be. Better to do what the UK did and make a decision than to perennially fudge the issue and hope it goes away.

As it stands, from what I heard from a Brussels bureaucrat this morning, their plan B is more plan A...

Quote:
"Rather than retreat and fracture, Europe should create a political and defence union, and unify its common market across more industries and service sectors, Mr Verhofstadt said."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...negotiatorguy/

Last edited by Osem; 31-01-2017 at 17:33.
Old 16-03-2017, 15:54   #1897
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Haven't we been here before?

http://news.sky.com/story/turkey-thr...lates-10803361

Turkey Threatens to scrap refugee deal as diplomatic row escalates over Netherlands spat.
Old 16-03-2017, 16:26   #1898
Osem
Inactive

Who'd have thought?!

Just one of many massive problems facing the EU. The others haven't gone away...
Old 16-03-2017, 17:27   #1899
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Ah, so the 'migrant deal' is the Sword of Damocles available every time Turkey isn't happy about something. What do the EU fanboys here feel about this way of doing business?
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 18:54   #1900
RizzyKing

Whenever the EU's issues are highlighted by events it's usual very vocal supporters go very quiet and aren't seen much until the next brexit disaster article appears then they reappear to tellus we'd have been better off remaining in the EU. I recently had a discussion with some business people most from the continent and was quite surprised how pessimistic they are about the EU's future but the one thing they all agreed on was that before the collapse there will be more dramatic integration tried to stave off many of the issue's.

Another thing that surprised me was how positive they were about brexit and the UK's future, i guess even though i don't buy into a lot of the pessimism in the media i did think the continent had a more uniformed negative take on brexit. Interesting times ahead with a period of both uncertainty and struggle but the more i hear people from the continent talk about the EU the more i realise that applies to both the UK and the EU.
Old 16-03-2017, 21:08   #1901
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

There's a mutually beneficial negotiation to be struck if they want it; if they don't, everyone loses. We know it; they know it and it will happen imho.

I also think there could be a new European Union if some fundamental change is made to the existing structure.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 14:53   #1902
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
There's a mutually beneficial negotiation to be struck if they want it; if they don't, everyone loses. We know it; they know it and it will happen imho.

I also think there could be a new European Union if some fundamental change is made to the existing structure.
What the EU needs is one central Government and politicians, rather than Civil Servants, in charge.

Simples.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 16:13   #1903
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Spanish bank Banco Popular has been rescued from the brink of collapse by larger rival Santander for one euro
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40184347

I see the Spanish banking sector is in good health.
Old 10-06-2017, 17:42   #1904
Osem
Inactive

Not looking any better in Italy either:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-eur...-idUKKBN18Z0Q5

Quote:
Italy's biggest banks may help Rome bail out Popolare di Vicenza and Veneto Banca to avoid being hit by costly depositor guarantees if European regulators shut them down, sources close to the matter said on Thursday.
Old 05-08-2017, 16:20   #1905
Mick
Cable Forum Team

'On a collision course' Poland and EU closer to Polexit than EVER BEFORE, expert warns

POLAND and the European Union have locked horns in a conflict that has made a Polexit scenario closer to reality than ever before, an expert has claimed.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ave-EU-Polexit