Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 30-05-2017, 13:47   #1861
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

I have now run the Windows 10 Media Creation tool from the Windows 8.1 desktop, so far so good, it rebooted and now i see a screen saying installing updates, so hopefully i stand a better chance of getting it installed this time and actually getting to the desktop!
Old 30-05-2017, 14:40   #1862
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I have now run the Windows 10 Media Creation tool from the Windows 8.1 desktop, so far so good, it rebooted and now i see a screen saying installing updates, so hopefully i stand a better chance of getting it installed this time and actually getting to the desktop!
good luck
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 15:20   #1863
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
good luck
Seems to be working ok now apart from the ethernet is stuck on identifying so i am having to use wireless.

I am sure i will get that working eventually.

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

Bollocks now the wireless isnt working..... another problem to solve.
Old 30-05-2017, 15:51   #1864
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Seems to be working ok now apart from the ethernet is stuck on identifying so i am having to use wireless.

I am sure i will get that working eventually.

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

Bollocks now the wireless isnt working..... another problem to solve.
you using creators update or anniversay
Old 30-05-2017, 15:57   #1865
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
you using creators update or anniversay
Latest, the creators, whatever the mediatool downloads and installs.

Busy installing drivers now that i found for my lappy incase they didnt get updated by windows, but it is a very slow process as the HDD is slow.

I just find it strange i had no issues with the ethernet working in windows 8.1 and the fact i briefly had wireless working but it is now dead....... same goes for ethernet.

And when it comes to computers i HATE waiting for the bloody thing to install stuff to see if it gets working as i usually have a list of other things to try too.

Been installing some intel chipset drivers for the last 30mins........
Old 30-05-2017, 16:01   #1866
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Latest, the creators, whatever the mediatool downloads and installs.

Busy installing drivers now that i found for my lappy incase they didnt get updated by windows, but it is a very slow process as the HDD is slow.

I just find it strange i had no issues with the ethernet working in windows 8.1 and the fact i briefly had wireless working but it is now dead....... same goes for ethernet.

And when it comes to computers i HATE waiting for the bloody thing to install stuff to see if it gets working as i usually have a list of other things to try too.
would suggest trying anniversary if you need it I can give you a untouched official iso from my onedrive few people are having problems with creators
Old 30-05-2017, 17:52   #1867
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
would suggest trying anniversary if you need it I can give you a untouched official iso from my onedrive few people are having problems with creators
Thanks for the offer but i always run the latest and this is just a backup computer so worst comes to the worst i will dump 8.1 back on it.

Anyway...... the intel driver install just exited with an error....... lol

---------- Post added at 16:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Seems to be finally working with wifi with every boot now, i had to disable the Ethernet to make this happen as i couldn't get that working but as it is now stable and working and the fact it is only a backup laptop i am happy the way it is and i need to stop messing with it or i will still be doing it at 5am when i have to leave for work!
Old 30-05-2017, 21:13   #1868
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Just done a clean install on my laptop, been going very sluggish last few weeks. So backed up everything, emails etc (although forgot to backup my email contacts so a massive duh on my part) formatted the C Drive and hey presto it runs fast. Although am slightly miffed that they ended support for Windows Essentials in January without much fanfare, meaning I can't download it again. Now going to have to try Outlook.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 21:17   #1869
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Just done a clean install on my laptop, been going very sluggish last few weeks. So backed up everything, emails etc (although forgot to backup my email contacts so a massive duh on my part) formatted the C Drive and hey presto it runs fast. Although am slightly miffed that they ended support for Windows Essentials in January without much fanfare, meaning I can't download it again. Now going to have to try Outlook.

I keep all my data on a separate drive for that reason, Windows and applications only on drive C
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 21:56   #1870
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Anyone know how I can import my Live Mail .fol emails into Outlook? I'm quite desperate to sort this out, as I have every single email from work so need to be able to gain access to them again.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 22:52   #1871
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Anyone know how I can import my Live Mail .fol emails into Outlook? I'm quite desperate to sort this out, as I have every single email from work so need to be able to gain access to them again.
Need more info on the problem as i am googling .fol and getting know where, it keeps giving me eml files.

Also if i log into mail.live it redirects to outlook.com, so shouldn't all your emails be there?

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Ok i have managed to download the Windows Live Essentials 2012 offline installer from a mirror website and installed it, it looks good, it is 106MB the site i got it from wasnt English so it is upto you if you want to risk it but it does install and look fine.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

Just uploading it to my Onedrive and i will message you the link, when you have it installed, backup everything you need then migrate.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:22   #1872
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Had to upgrade to Creators due to some anomalous weird things happening.
Turns out it was a USB 3 docking station that was plugged into the hub on my monitor that was causing the issues.
Anyway, no issues with Creators apart from low memory warnings when I Alt/Tab out of a game back to the desktop. (have 16gb & never been an issue before)
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 15:11   #1873
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Have just removed creators update. Has been running fine for a couple weeks but to-day chrome wouldn't work. After faffing around with some suggestions I found and it still wouldn't work despite being the latest update I reverted back to the previous version of Windows 10 and everything is working OK.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 15:52   #1874
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I currently have a very odd situation is that I cannot get iTunes to work on my laptop. I've tried everything I can think of and followed all workarounds I can find online (uninstalling / reinstalling, deleting files in user data folder, deleting registry entries etc)

If I try to run it, I can see it in the Task Manager but it just sits there with zero CPU usage and just will no show as an open program.
Old 09-06-2017, 21:04   #1875
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I currently have a very odd situation is that I cannot get iTunes to work on my laptop. I've tried everything I can think of and followed all workarounds I can find online (uninstalling / reinstalling, deleting files in user data folder, deleting registry entries etc)

If I try to run it, I can see it in the Task Manager but it just sits there with zero CPU usage and just will no show as an open program.

Hi Ben

Have tried these fixes:
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/tip...es-windows-10/

Go to C:\Program Files\iTunes, right-click "iTunes.exe", go to Compatibility tab, check the box next to "Run this program as an administrator" and click Apply. No need to uninstall/reinstall.

cheers
Richard S
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote