Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Star Trek: Discovery

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Star Trek: Discovery

Old 15-08-2016, 23:07   #46
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

Maybe the setting of the series around the original era is for budget reasons.
Old 15-08-2016, 23:13   #47
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Who do you think will take the place of "alien, robot, hologram" that acts as the foil????

I.e. Spock, Data, Odo, the Doctor, Seven of Nine etc.
Old 15-08-2016, 23:20   #48
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Maybe the setting of the series around the original era is for budget reasons.
yup because they made it crystal clear that it isn't going to tie in with the movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Who do you think will take the place of "alien, robot, hologram" that acts as the foil????

it is going to be a robot (as opposed to an android) so I just pray that they make it look like a realistic technologically advanced robot and not like something from Lost in Space.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 23:21   #49
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

I don't know although I bet they find the human condition strange and illogical!
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 22:17   #50
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
yup because they made it crystal clear that it isn't going to tie in with the movies

it is going to be a robot (as opposed to an android) so I just pray that they make it look like a realistic technologically advanced robot and not like something from Lost in Space.

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 22:25   #51
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

that is what I am worried about. Sometimes they go OTT is trying to make things look "classic" and they forget that we aren't in the 60's anymore and technology has moved on.
Old 16-08-2016, 22:33   #52
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

But the series is set in the Trek era from the 60s.

So it will have to look like tech from the 60s. It can't be more advanced than what they had when they made the original series.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
yup because they made it crystal clear that it isn't going to tie in with the movies.
They could have set it after Voyager though. It was always to follow the timeline of the original series and movies.

I think they picked the era deliberaty to make it cheaper for sets and things.
Old 17-08-2016, 20:33   #53
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
But the series is set in the Trek era from the 60s.

So it will have to look like tech from the 60s. It can't be more advanced than what they had when they made the original series.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

They could have set it after Voyager though. It was always to follow the timeline of the original series and movies.

I think they picked the era deliberaty to make it cheaper for sets and things.

Why? the sets didn't look cheap or look like tech from the 60s for Enterprise? :/

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 20:45   #54
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Enterprise sort of looked like an advanced submarine or something like that.

This series is 10 years prior to Kirk so will have to look very similar.
Old 17-08-2016, 22:06   #55
General Maximus
Ran Away

and that limits them in the scope of the stories, ships, in-story technology, aliens etc which they can use because they have got to stick to what is already known and established. I enjoyed Enterprise but I think what I just said was the reason for its downfall. Look at Voyager; new quadrant means new aliens and planets which means new technology which means unlimited possibilities for stories. Even if you tried to make it adventurous and say they are out exploring space for the first time like Archer and Kirk, they can only discover what we already known about and is already part of Federation and Starfleet history. The best you can get is learning the nitty gritty details about it and exploring some stories in depth. It is probably the wrong time frame but I would love to see them cover aspects of the Federation-Klingon war similar to the odd eps in seasons 5 and 6 of DS9 covering the Dominion war.

Last edited by General Maximus; 17-08-2016 at 22:09.
Old 18-08-2016, 00:47   #56
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Nothing to stop them discovery species only to have them wiped out or something, so they then do not exist during the Original Series timeline.

Or inventing certain technologies that do not work or aren't great.
Old 18-08-2016, 01:22   #57
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If the writers of Discovery obsess over the tech then the series will fail. Enterprise was turgid because they wanted to do Star Trek without a lot of the scaffolding that allows those stories to be told, then made a great song and dance about it. Thus it became a very self conscious documentary of the making of Starfleet when it should have just told rip-roaring tales that were defined by their own times.

I'm glad Discovery will be set close in time to TOS. The tech of that period is well understood. They should just go with it, and use it the way the original writers did - simply means to enable the stories they wanted to tell.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 19:14   #58
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I still can't make up my mind about this but I am a proper sucker for Star Trek so I guess I'll be giving it a shot.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 19:24   #59
General Maximus
Ran Away

I like pure scifi like Star Trek and BSG so even if it isn't good, I think I will still enjoy it more than I do most other series.
Old 27-08-2016, 01:23   #60
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Is this accurate?

The new Star Trek series coming out on CBS All Access.

From
Quote:
As much as I want it to work, I don't really see people paying per month just to watch that show, and Star Trek fans probably aren't interested in anything else they're offering. So the ratings will suck in the U.S.

The best hope is that it gets licensed to Netflix, like it is in the rest of the world.
If true and it's exclusive in the US to a separate paid subscription then he has a point, ratings won't be huge. We'll likely get it via something else of course but if it tanks in the US then it'll have a knock on effect here.

An American's glum opinion on it:
Quote:
CBS All-access will be a complete failure. $6 a month for a single channel's content is a ridiculous price. They should have joined Hulu when they had the chance, using a geek centric show to try and anchor this service only shows how stupid and out of touch they are.

Hopefully the execs behind the streaming service are fired before Star Trek gets cancelled and it can either be put on air or moved to another service.
I love Netflix and Prime Video but these American ones HBO's and CBS are the start of something stupid and costly for the rest of us. If it comes off you can bet your ass, BBC will start a version of it and other UK broadcasters will follow suit. Are we moving towards the point of paying separate sub's now for different channels. Netflix and Prime are well worth the money for value vs content. These spin offs really aren't though and need shot down before they lift off. I'm happy with the BBC content on Netflix, if they played this card I wouldn't be caught dead paying them for it whilst maintaining the platform they removed it from.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 27-08-2016 at 01:31.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote