Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why are we still bothering with SD?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Why are we still bothering with SD?

Old 15-08-2013, 00:03   #46
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Why are we still bothering with SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamav View Post
SD will undoubtedly die off. It may take another 10 years +, but it will happen. There will be few people left with non HD TVs, studios will all eventually upgrade to HD equipment as it's getting cheaper each year. It'll get to a point where having to downscale to SD causes more hassle.

People use to say that about widescreen - that as not everyone has a widescreen TV, 4:3 programmes would be around for a while yet. To a point it is, but not for much longer.

Only historical programming will remain in SD 4:3...! The future is HD 16:9 or better.

Can you imagine when UDH/4K really takes off, trying to watch SD on a 100in screen? No chance.
I agree and the tv industry appears to be leaning towards this view too.

There will be another 10 HD channels on Freeview within the next year and Freeview is also looking to move the HD channels into the top spots, ie BBC One HD moves to channel 1.

I think it will be a while before we see SD totally killed off, probably 10 years as you say. But pay tv operators like Sky and Virgin will move sooner, I think.

With the imminent launch of CH4 +1 HD on the horizon, I could see companies such as Sky killing off the SD +1s to free up EPG places. Then you may see channels such as Sky 1 HD simply being called Sky 1 and the current Sky 1 being renamed Sky 1 SD.

At some point companies especially Sky will "force" everyone onto HD as they did when they changed from their analogue service to their digital service.

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
This is the kind of thread we should be comming back to in 10 years time when

95% of VM STB are HD capable
HD channels are compressed to Mpeg4 codec
HD channels are not sold as premium channels
SKY does not hold HD variants to themselves

Then if these conditions are met you can have the debate what is the point of the SYFY channel being available in SD!
In 10 years year time, if not a lot sooner:

The bulk of stbs will be gone. Content will be "broadcast" straight from the cloud.

Mpeg4/h.264 will be gone. H.265 is on the way now and even that will be superseeded within 10 years.

HD is now being seen as the "standard" and not premium way to broadcast channels. The BBC will have all of its channels in HD within 12 months. So, by the end of 2014 there will be at least 15 HD Freeview channels, so no longer premium.

Sky will not hold HD channels to themselves in 10 years time. That's what 4k/8k will be for.
Old 15-08-2013, 14:55   #47
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

I would like to see one of 2 things:

1: I have always wondered, is it not possible to build something into the new supposedly intelligent boxes whereby if you go to an SD channel, the box can automatically forward you to the HD version of the channel instantly. There could be an option in the menu of the TIVO box something like "HD TV Channels only" and if you tick it you are basically saying you have a HD TV and always want to watch and record HD where possible.

In fact, we do not even need that, since the STB's Virgin use should know they are running on a HD TV since you select what picture quality you want in the menu depending on the TV being used. This could trigger this menu option for HD Channels.

2: Better still...I would like to see the SD channel numbers 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 etc, become HD. It should be the SD channels that are 108, 113, 151, 140 etc. It's ridiculous that we have to go hunting for the HD channel over the SD one now. The priority and weight should be towards HD.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 15:47   #48
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

HD = Emperors new clothes. The most popular TV size is 32 inch, on which it makes diddly squat difference. Same thing happened with digital tv and digital radio - people with good analogue signals and good FM reception got no difference (or downgraded quality in the case of digital radio vs a FM signal)

HD is useless for recording too as it fills up Tivo - very quickly. Got a wish list set for the 'Carry On' films ( I know, but lets forget my taste for the moment...)- pees me off when it chooses an HD channel to record it on.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 17:10   #49
karma mechanic
cf.member

karma mechanic will become famous soon enoughkarma mechanic will become famous soon enoughkarma mechanic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
HD is useless for recording too as it fills up Tivo - very quickly.
On the other hand I choose to record certain things so I can watch them properly, at leisure, on a big screen. SD just doesn't cut it for that.

My wife tends to scroll down the EPG list and put something on. Then I ask her why she's chosen the SD version, and after some more scrolling the HD version is found. Wouldn't it be so much simpler if there was an option to hide SD channels that have an HD equivalent.
karma mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 17:12   #50
bamav
cf.addict

Services: VM L TV powered by TiVo, 30MB BB, Sky Sports, Phone L, Freeview.
bamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to all

I don't agree that HD = Emperor's new clothes. My dad has a Panasonic 32in full HD TV and watching Blu Ray is still incredibly detailed. Live broadcast sports also look much more defined. 32in may well be a very popular size TV, but this is changing toward larger screens - hence why we're seeing so many larger screens at only a few pounds more than their smaller counterparts. I have around 37 HD movies on my 1TB TiVo, along with dozens of HD programmes, and hover about the 75% full capacity. Could probably still record around 15-20 more movies if I wanted to.
bamav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 17:20   #51
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
HD = Emperors new clothes. The most popular TV size is 32 inch, on which it makes diddly squat difference. Same thing happened with digital tv and digital radio - people with good analogue signals and good FM reception got no difference (or downgraded quality in the case of digital radio vs a FM signal)

HD is useless for recording too as it fills up Tivo - very quickly. Got a wish list set for the 'Carry On' films ( I know, but lets forget my taste for the moment...)- pees me off when it chooses an HD channel to record it on.
It's not the size of the screen but how far away you are. Try sticking the 32inch on your lap and say there is no difference!!

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Ok, here goes...

1) A HD channel takes typically 4 to 6 times the bandwidth of a SD channel. So changing all channels to HD would require far more bandwidth, even if the SD versions were dropped. That either means losing a load of channels, or introducing new expensive technologies (e.g. switched video; motorised dishes and more satellites)

2) The fact that many TVs are SD-only isn't a problem if they have an HD STB that can downscale. However, LOTS of people still have SD-only STBs. Are you willing to pay for new STBs for them?

3) HD production and broacasting is more expensive, and requires new equipment. Are you willing to pay for all the minor broadcasters to upgrade?

4) Interest in HD simply isn't that great. Although 73% of the UK population have a HD-ready TV, only 49% actually have a HD source (source).
And many of those who could watch HD, don't. As an example only 5.7% of ITV viewing last week was HD.
Nice insight there SP, Thanks!
clinteastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:59   #52
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY
There are still a lot of SD TVs out there and unlike you, there are also a lot of hard pressed families trying to make ends meet....
And alot of us DO NOT WANT or CARE ABOUT HD

I have always preferred SD ... Its beautiful and how stuff started...

CRTs are beautiful and in my opinion produce THE NICEST picture......
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 15:00   #53
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Dinosaurs used to rule the world, where are they now?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 15:01   #54
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

You're at it............
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 15:10   #55
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I presume you mix amongst upwardly mobile people rather than pensioners and low paid workers, then...

My job takes me into a number of houses each week (my previous job took me into hundreds of houses each week)

On the odd occasion I see a 4:3 tv I have to double take to ensure my eyes haven't betrayed me.

Additionally, I would say most low in one families have a decent sized flat panel TV (not always a top brand make I would agree) - they also seem to find money for the latest smartphones and often smoking.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 18:48   #56
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation

This is now a genuine question for 2017?
Old 05-11-2017, 19:11   #57
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You're at it............

Agreed mate. Trolling .. well attempting too lol
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 19:47   #58
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
This is now a genuine question for 2017?
Yes, it is, but the answer is not to have an SD switch off at this stage.

Not only are there many people who cannot afford the cost of upgrading to HD ready equipment, but a lot of channels would be lost as a result - in fact almost all those channels which do not currently have an HD alternative.

I really cannot understand why anyone should be so exercised about the continuing existence of SD channels. Nobody is forced to watch them!

If anyone wants to look at an SD sanitised version of the EPG, they only have to select the HD channels option.

The question for 2017 is how to facilitate the introduction of UHD channels. Should these be added to the EPG or would it make more sense to offer UHD content via streaming/on demand?

Why we should be focussing on scrapping older technologies before the population has had a chance to adapt, I really cannot fathom.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 20:56   #59
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
Agreed mate. Trolling .. well attempting too lol
If we assume that you're correct, I don't suppose you like others moving in on your occasional speciality.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 21:06   #60
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Why we should be focussing on scrapping older technologies before the population has had a chance to adapt, I really cannot fathom.
Way of the world isn't it, you know, onwards & upwards and all that stuff. Improvements and enhancements that do little in the way of improving stuff, but adds a few quid to the profits if you can convince the masses that it's better than what they currently have.

I remember the days of 5 channels of quality (ish) TV, now we have 300 channels of garbage.
I'm not yet a dinosaur
I also remember Luton being a top flight club a mere 30 years ago *waves at mhatter67* (good win Sat)
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote