Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hard wired ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Hard wired ?

Old 22-08-2016, 12:31   #1
innocenti200
Inactive

innocenti200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hard wired ?

hello,
I would like to hard wire my TV to the internet rather than WIFI, the problem is that the virgin super hub is at the other end of the house which my computer is hard wired to.
The incoming cable box is near the TV, one cable to the tivo box then splits around the house to the hub
Is there a way without moving the hub or using wifi to connect my TV to the internet?
Look forward to your answers, thank you.
innocenti200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2016, 13:19   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Hard wired ?

I used a kit from B&Q to run cables from the SHUB to various places around the house.

http://www.diy.com/departments/phile.../191338_BQ.prd
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 14:23   #3
innocenti200
Inactive

innocenti200 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your answer, it would not be possible to run a cable from the hub. Is there something that runs it down the house power circuit ? just noticed an Ethernet outlet on the TiVo ,can this be used ?
Cheers
innocenti200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 15:48   #4
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Google powerline for internet over house circuit. The ethernet net port is used on the Tivo so you can communicate with it and to stream recording from one tivo to another.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:03   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

the problem is that power line adapters comes with their set of problems and can be just as flakey as wifi so I wouldn't recommend it. Is it possible to move the shub back to the tv and run a flat patch cable across the house following the same router as the current xoav takes? You can either connect it directly to your pc or setup a switch if you want to run multiple devices.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:34   #6
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I use power line adapters, the latest models have sophisticated error correction and provide a stable internet connection. I would recommend you try them.
I connect TV, Blu-Ray player & TIVO In the lounge to SH3 upstairs in my office and the link is great.

My adapter connects to a switch so I can plug my laptop it too and I always get my full 100Mbps when connected through it.

Last edited by progers; 28-08-2016 at 09:37. Reason: Added a sentence
progers is offline   Reply With Quote