Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Extending wireless range

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Extending wireless range

Old 31-05-2009, 12:04   #1
zsolmanz
Inactive

zsolmanz is an unknown quantity at this point
Extending wireless range

My computer is 15m away and 1 story above my router. However, the signal passes through a chimney and a large sheet of metal to get there, so it is fairly weak and slow (slow enough to stop my xbox, which is attached to the router by ethernet, from connecting to my pc).

So, I want to put a cat6 cable around the outside of the house to my room, with cat6 sockets at either end, with a 5port gigabit switch in the living room (which has the router and my xbox in) to connect my PC, my xbox and the router together with future proofing for media centre or other use.

I was wondering whether instead of plugging my computer into the socket in my room, I could plug a standard wireless access point in (eg. This)? So the access point would be plugged into the router via the switch, and then there would be a decent wireless speed and strength in my room and the surrounding ones (this side of the chimney).
Would that work? Or not?
zsolmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2009, 12:07   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Extending wireless range

This link might help

http://www.dailywireless.com/feature...-range-051007/
Old 31-05-2009, 12:15   #3
zsolmanz
Inactive

Thanks hom3r. No.7 is the closest to what I want to do, but that doesn't actually confirm whether my idea will work or not.

I've already got the best directional antenna I can on my end, but unfortunately that's out of the question for the router itself, as it needs to have access in more than one direction.

EDIT:
Just found this: [http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/386926.html]
'You can also extend one wireless network by plugging another access point into the same wired network as the first one, and setting up the same WLAN name and type. This is usually called a roaming network'

Thanks to Crisp, who had no clue he was helping me as well. One last question:

Do those network cable splitters work? The ones which turn one socket into two ports? I assume they do, otherwise they wouldn't sell, but how can you have two inputs on a single cable? (I'll try to find a link)
Old 31-05-2009, 12:18   #4
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

Could homeplugs be another option?

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 13:03   #5
zsolmanz
Inactive

No, unfortunately homeplugs won't work with the ancient wiring in this house. Nice suggestion though.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

I've found a link (only cat 5e, but I'll find a cat6 one if it works):
[http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/351646...iser+Adapters]

I'm a little confused though, because I don't know whether this applies to me?:
[NB - You cannot share a broadband connection with this device. This will not split a port on an ethernet card, XBox or NTL Box. They are only for use with patch panels & faceplates. We do not guarantee compatibility on any product if not using a patch panel].
I'll be using it on a patch cable with panels, but I'll be hoping (indirectly) to be receiving teh internetz down it in both halves (ie. one half has the wireless AP on it (in turn connecting to anything wireless), the other my computer).
So can I use that or not?

EDIT: Yes it will work. I should really get my act together and research this stuff before bothering any of you with it. +Rep for your time.
EDIT2: No it won't work for gigabit, so as long as I'm fine with 200mb/s speed (2x100mb/s) then it shouldn't be a problem... Am I fine with that? :p - It's better than what I have at the moment, and if I need to have gigabit I can always disconnect the wireless :p (or run it bridged through my pc, which would have to be on for me to want 1Gb/s).

Sorted. /Thread.