Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Which router

Old 14-08-2007, 21:43   #1
Ninko
Inactive

Ninko is an unknown quantity at this point
Which router

Hi there,
Can anyone recommand a wireless router (for Virgin Media) that is good when it comes to holding up alot of connection, eg when running p2p software.

I found out the hard way that Netgear WPN824v2 has problems when it comes to holding too many connections.

Thanks

Ninko
Ninko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2007, 18:13   #2
Ninko
Inactive

Re: Which router

No one has any recommendations?

Ninko
Old 15-08-2007, 18:18   #3
trevortt
Permanently Banned

trevortt is an unknown quantity at this point

Netgear FTW!!

Check this site for some good ones.
trevortt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 18:28   #4
Ninko
Inactive

Which Netgear ones are good though, because as I say Netgear WPN824v2 isn't.

Ninko
Old 15-08-2007, 18:32   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Personally I'd always go with one of the Linksys models. Never had any problems with them (related to P2P or anything else for that matter).
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 18:34   #6
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Linksys as Raistlin says, D-Link, Netgear, Belkin, Draytek all good.

Get the most up to date machine you can for your cash, and make usre your wireless enabled devices can support good encryption to match the router.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 18:43   #7
Ninko
Inactive

I was thinking Linksys, I've been abit put off by Netgear now.

Any Linksys model you'd personally recommend?

Thanks

Ninko
Old 15-08-2007, 18:47   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I've got two.

A Linksys WRT54G which runs custom firmware and bridges my wirless network, and a WAG354G which is my ADSL modem/gateway.
Old 15-08-2007, 19:04   #9
Ninko
Inactive

Do they both cope well with many connections/load i.e. p2p software?

Ninko
Old 16-08-2007, 07:46   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

Have never had problems with either of min falling over under heavy load, I can't gaurantee that you won't however.

I'm a fairly heavy user, but I wouldn't say that I ever put too much stress on either of the routers (mainly because I spend so much time with my speed limited having reached the end of my allowance early in the month - you VM guys think you have it bad.....) but they do get a fair hammering.

The one upstairs (the WRT54G) is several years old now and, as I said, running custom firmware - it's still as solid as the day that I bought it