Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Apple Carplay or Android Auto?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Apple Carplay or Android Auto?

Old 09-10-2017, 13:58   #1
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Apple Carplay or Android Auto?

We are getting a new Skoda in the new year (hopefully) and it comes with support for Apple Carplay and Android Auto as well as a built-in SatNav.

Does anyone have any experience of these smart phone based systems when integrated into a car? I can see that Apple locks you into Apple Maps & Siri which are widely regarded as inferior to Google's offerings but does this match people's real world experiences?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2017, 19:13   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Apple Carplay or Android Auto?

Have a 2017 Focus which has Sync 3 with SatNav.

When I get in my car and strt it, it automatically launches Andriod Auto on my Note 8 (BlueTooth is on 24/7 due to smart watch), it also enables me to send and receive calls and converts texts to speech.

The Google maps bit is only enables if I plug the phone directly in to one of the cars USB ports.

You can then use the cars controls to as you would if you didn't have the phone plugged in.

I don't plug it in as the car has built in satnav and I have 2 127GB sticks with music on in both USB slots.

I do remember that you can exit/enter the "take over" google interface on my system by pressing a icon on the touchscreen.

If I remember I'll use it tomorrow, but at 6:40am my brain is on autopilot.

The good thing with google part is I can press the speak button and simply say Go home etc and it will launch the satnav and route.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:58   #3
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Have a 2017 Focus which has Sync 3 with SatNav.

When I get in my car and strt it, it automatically launches Andriod Auto on my Note 8 (BlueTooth is on 24/7 due to smart watch), it also enables me to send and receive calls and converts texts to speech.

The Google maps bit is only enables if I plug the phone directly in to one of the cars USB ports.

You can then use the cars controls to as you would if you didn't have the phone plugged in.

I don't plug it in as the car has built in satnav and I have 2 127GB sticks with music on in both USB slots.

I do remember that you can exit/enter the "take over" google interface on my system by pressing a icon on the touchscreen.

If I remember I'll use it tomorrow, but at 6:40am my brain is on autopilot.

The good thing with google part is I can press the speak button and simply say Go home etc and it will launch the satnav and route.
This sounds quite neat. I have an iPhone which complicates things. I am wondering if I can plug in an old Android phone I have (Moto G) for the Android Auto but still pair my iPhone via BT for the phone calls.

Getting complicated ..
Old 10-10-2017, 10:00   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Carplay is meant to work fine too if you have an iPhone. Apple Maps is indeed inferior to Google Maps but the gap isn't as big as it was when Apple Maps was first introduced. I would prefer to use Google Maps and do so on my iPhone but the difference isn't so great that I would bring two phones into my car. The difference is in no way worth that hassle.

Last edited by Damien; 10-10-2017 at 10:07.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49   #5
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Carplay is meant to work fine too if you have an iPhone. Apple Maps is indeed inferior to Google Maps but the gap isn't as big as it was when Apple Maps was first introduced. I would prefer to use Google Maps and do so on my iPhone but the difference isn't so great that I would bring two phones into my car. The difference is in no way worth that hassle.
Curious, have you used Carplay? Do Apple Maps make the grade when running from the in-car display I wonder ..

Maybe I can leave the Android phone in the car and tether it to the iPhone hotspot for the required internet access?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:04   #6
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

2016 Vauxhall Astra.
Use Android Auto on 2 phones. Must be connected by good quality USB lead.
Google maps works well.
Messages are read out when they are received by the phone. You can then reply by speaking your answer and telling it to reply. It does this with Spotify music playing from the phone. It probably does other things but this is as far as we've got.
If it does not work it is probably because it does not like the lead you are using.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13   #7
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
2016 Vauxhall Astra.
Use Android Auto on 2 phones. Must be connected by good quality USB lead.
Google maps works well.
Messages are read out when they are received by the phone. You can then reply by speaking your answer and telling it to reply. It does this with Spotify music playing from the phone. It probably does other things but this is as far as we've got.
If it does not work it is probably because it does not like the lead you are using.
Thanks. The video reviews I have seen show Google Maps still, even after iOS 11 update, superior to Apple Maps.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:01   #8
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

In my opinion using Android Auto Google maps is much better on the car's screen than it is on the phone. The next instruction is in a blue box on the left hand side of the screen. Very easy to follow.

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

I can't believe I wrote that previous post as normally I bore everyone by droning on about how we should use a map to find our way like the olden days. While it worries me that youngsters tend to have no idea what is north and what is south because of their dependence on Satnav I have to say that Android Auto with Google maps on a Vauxhall Astra takes the stress out of finding your way. I say that after having to find a back Street in Walthamstowe to drop off my niece who has absolutely no sense of direction
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:07   #9
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
In my opinion using Android Auto Google maps is much better on the car's screen than it is on the phone. The next instruction is in a blue box on the left hand side of the screen. Very easy to follow.

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

I can't believe I wrote that previous post as normally I bore everyone by droning on about how we should use a map to find our way like the olden days. While it worries me that youngsters tend to have no idea what is north and what is south because of their dependence on Satnav I have to say that Android Auto with Google maps on a Vauxhall Astra takes the stress out of finding your way. I say that after having to find a back Street in Walthamstowe to drop off my niece who has absolutely no sense of direction
You do make a good point about being a slave to technology! It is best to always keep a map in the car but it is, in all honesty, a poor substitute to what technology offers you ..
Old 11-10-2017, 11:30   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Remember Sat Navs become part of the driving test from December

In regards to the original question, I've always had Android devices so I'm biased towards Android Auto.

One thing to point out is that both are technically designed to be a car-friendly interface and be shown on a built in display driven by a wired connection to your phone.

However Google added the option to allow Android Auto to run on the phone itself if you don't have a compatible system - but as discussed it doesn't seem to be completely the same. This on-phone version can be triggered by connecting to a Bluetooth device alone rather than the physical USB connection as well so is a bit of a hybrid solution - I think full Android Auto still needs the wired connection at the moment.

Apple have been working on a wireless version of CarPlay that uses a WiFi system in a car (due to the bandwidth needed) but it doesn't seem to be widely supported yet, and Google have mentioned they are also working on a fully wireless Android Auto system, but there hasn't even been a demo of that yet.

Last edited by BenMcr; 11-10-2017 at 11:47.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote