Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V+ Box constantly rebooting

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V+ Box constantly rebooting

Old 21-10-2017, 23:36   #1
TheWatcher
cf.member

Services: M125 BB, Anytime Chatter, V6 (Maxit TV)
TheWatcher is an unknown quantity at this point
V+ Box constantly rebooting

Hi.
I had an engineer come out and he said there's nothing he can do but replace the V+ with the new V6. I told him I didn't want to lose my recordings (and I like having them in one place. Transferring to DVD is not an option as it's not a recordable player ) so I decided to keep the V+ and try and find a makeshift solution to the constant rebooting.

I found the following post on another forum, but I don't understand it as it's way too technical for me. Could somebody please explain it in simple terms? Here is the post:

"Easy and simple way i found to stop that annoying reboot problem with your V+ box with a return path blocker, so no need to cut talkback via tracks inside.
I came up with an idea and this was because since i fitted my blocker my box restarted approx 4 times a day, some members reported more on other forums.
So what i did was, instead of putting the talkback blocker direct onto the box and then the feed in after it as you do, I placed my blocker at the exit point from my splitter. Since this I have not once had the box go off in 13 days since I did it.
And before any questions, Yes talk back still is disconnected even thou technically the blocker is facing opposite way"

Will this actually work? Any help would be great.

Thanks.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2017, 12:23   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: V+ Box constantly rebooting

That was a workaround for a software bug that was fixed years ago, so isn't the problem you've got.

Unfortunately your V+ has a hardware fault and does need to be swapped. The fault is likely to only get worse over time and the box may end up completely unusable So watch your recordings while you can, then get VM to replace it. (If it was me, I'd be biting their hands off at the chance of a free V6!)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 16:17   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
Hi.
I had an engineer come out and he said there's nothing he can do but replace the V+ with the new V6. I told him I didn't want to lose my recordings (and I like having them in one place. Transferring to DVD is not an option as it's not a recordable player ) so I decided to keep the V+ and try and find a makeshift solution to the constant rebooting.

I found the following post on another forum, but I don't understand it as it's way too technical for me. Could somebody please explain it in simple terms? Here is the post:

"Easy and simple way i found to stop that annoying reboot problem with your V+ box with a return path blocker, so no need to cut talkback via tracks inside.
I came up with an idea and this was because since i fitted my blocker my box restarted approx 4 times a day, some members reported more on other forums.
So what i did was, instead of putting the talkback blocker direct onto the box and then the feed in after it as you do, I placed my blocker at the exit point from my splitter. Since this I have not once had the box go off in 13 days since I did it.
And before any questions, Yes talk back still is disconnected even thou technically the blocker is facing opposite way"

Will this actually work? Any help would be great.

Thanks.
This sounds exactly what my old V+ started doing, though I guess they are all getting on a bit now (like myself!)

What I'd suggest you do is write a list of any recordings that you aren't able to watch and then bite VM's hand off and get a free V6.

After its installed I bet you'll find that most, if not all, your recordings are available via On Demand or via repeats.

The V6 has a search facility and something called 'Wishlists'. This is where you can enter the programmes that you've lost and the V6 will automatically scan the EPG for these programmes until it finds them or you tell it to stop doing so

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That was a workaround for a software bug that was fixed years ago, so isn't the problem you've got.

Unfortunately your V+ has a hardware fault and does need to be swapped. The fault is likely to only get worse over time and the box may end up completely unusable So watch your recordings while you can, then get VM to replace it. (If it was me, I'd be biting their hands off at the chance of a free V6!)
Do you know how often the V6 checks for Wishlists? From how they appear in my Planned Recordings, it looks to me that it could be a staggered process ie checking through its list alphabetically checking a few each day.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 19:14   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Do you know how often the V6 checks for Wishlists? From how they appear in my Planned Recordings, it looks to me that it could be a staggered process ie checking through its list alphabetically checking a few each day.
No I don't know, sorry.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote