Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | can calls be traced from abroad?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

can calls be traced from abroad?

Old 30-09-2008, 19:48   #1
shelly
Inactive

shelly is an unknown quantity at this point
can calls be traced from abroad?

I need to phone the u.k from abroad but I don't want the person to know that I am abroad. Will they be able to tell - will the number show the international code prefix?
shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2008, 19:53   #2
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society
Re: can calls be traced from abroad?

yep...
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 20:01   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I wonder what it would show if it was a mobile phone though as they go through England anyway don't they.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 20:01   #4
shelly
Inactive

O.K.....so can I withhold my number?
Old 30-09-2008, 20:13   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Nope, it'll still come up as INTERNATIONAL call

What you can do though is to use something like SKYPE , no number then and they get routed through local exchanges to the destination call
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 20:25   #6
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Fiddly work around could be to set up a call redirect with someone's phone in the UK.
Old 30-09-2008, 20:43   #7
shelly
Inactive

sorry to be a bit thick but whats SKYPE?

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

o.k...just looked up SKYPE...dont think this would be any good. Is it fiddly to set up a call redirect? How do you do it?
Old 30-09-2008, 21:49   #8
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
sorry to be a bit thick but whats SKYPE?

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

o.k...just looked up SKYPE...dont think this would be any good. Is it fiddly to set up a call redirect? How do you do it?
You would need to arrange it with a friend in the UK who has call redirect or divert facility on their phone. For example some one who is with BT and has opted to pay for call diverting. You phone them at a pre-arranged time when they will have set their phone to redirect your incoming call to the UK number you want to connect to.

Result your call will appear to have been made from your friends phone number. Told you it was fiddly.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...ON-CAL-FEAT-R1
Old 07-10-2008, 16:57   #9
northy
Inactive

Services: M broadband, talk evenings and weekends, L tv
northy is an unknown quantity at this point

what we all really want to know is, why dont ya want them to know you are abroad lol
northy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 17:01   #10
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by northy View Post
what we all really want to know is, why dont ya want them to know you are abroad lol
Secret Agent on an undercover mission
PeteTheMusicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 17:03   #11
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by northy View Post
what we all really want to know is, why don't ya want them to know you are abroad lol
Possibly off sick and going abroad on holiday, and has to report in while on the sick .

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 18:12   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Surely it would be shown the same.

You don't have to dial 0044 in front of a mobile number to phone it when it is abroad
Old 07-10-2008, 18:49   #13
Ernie_C

Services: Virgin Media Broadband M, TV XL, V+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Possibly off sick and going abroad on holiday, and has to report in while on the sick .
Businesses are increasingly employing investigators to catch out their employees who try this.

PS SKYPE is a good solution. My daughter is currently working in Denmark but uses SKYPE to phone us - the call looks like it is coming from an Edinburgh number.
Old 10-10-2008, 21:35   #14
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Surely it would be shown the same.

You don't have to dial 0044 in front of a mobile number to phone it when it is abroad
You do on many networks.

The OP could use a UK Mobile whilst abroad, the person in the UK wouldn't know any difference.

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie_C View Post
Businesses are increasingly employing investigators to catch out their employees who try this.

PS SKYPE is a good solution. My daughter is currently working in Denmark but uses SKYPE to phone us - the call looks like it is coming from an Edinburgh number.
I use real VoIP and similar with a Birmingham and London number and other areas too, cheaper call rates than Skype as Skype along with Tesco are the two dearer providers.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 19:35   #15
Visitor
Inactive

Services: Broadband
Visitor is on a distinguished roadVisitor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I need to phone the u.k from abroad but I don't want the person to know that I am abroad. Will they be able to tell - will the number show the international code prefix?
NOTHING will be shown, if you can disable your number before making the call. Most systems, land lines, cell phones can do this.

For example, I use 02 in the UK, its just a matter of going into the phone settings to switch off "Show my number" then it dont matter where I am in the world, the number will not be shown.

If your using a landline, then ask the owner how to switch it off *67 ?
Visitor is offline   Reply With Quote