Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)
Closed Thread

Old 29-01-2017, 11:40   #16
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)

Willing to bet they don't disappear on Sky at all. There'll be a last minute deal etc etc. All brinkmanship over money and seeing who'll blink first. Bet Discovery do, Skys bullying and money usually holds sway.
Advertisement
Old 29-01-2017, 13:08   #17
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Willing to bet they don't disappear on Sky at all. There'll be a last minute deal etc etc. All brinkmanship over money and seeing who'll blink first. Bet Discovery do, Skys bullying and money usually holds sway.
Although it seems to be Discovery trying to use bully tactics this time around.
Old 29-01-2017, 13:11   #18
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l think you need to take those rose tinted glasses off for once.
Old 29-01-2017, 13:24   #19
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I'd imagine discovery need sky a lot more than sky need them? I can only really see eurosport being a loss to sky customers and they dont even show that much on those channels anymore.
Old 29-01-2017, 13:32   #20
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I'd imagine discovery need sky a lot more than sky need them? I can only really see eurosport being a loss to sky customers and they dont even show that much on those channels anymore.
Pretty much agree Vince , I can live without the Discovery channels and most of the time Eurosport that said I don't see why I should pay what I am with those gone. I'll be ringing in should they go with a view to cancelling my contract even though I'm in term , if they offer me an incentive to stay that's a bonus.
Old 29-01-2017, 14:06   #21
Mr Banana

Quote:
I thought the same but according to Discovery

"Every week, more than five and half million people watch one of our shows on Sky"

If that's accurate, there will be a number of cheesed off customers and they are starting to make their voices heard on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/DiscoveryUK/stat...41066337468416

Old 29-01-2017, 14:16   #22
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post

"Every week, more than five and half million people watch one of our shows on Sky"

If that's accurate, there will be a number of cheesed off customers and they are starting to make their voices heard on Twitter.
Indeed that is quite considerable if true and Sky would be very foolish and arrogant to underestimate the support of some pretty popular channels with quite a lot of customers.
Old 29-01-2017, 14:24   #23
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Indeed that is quite considerable if true and Sky would be very foolish and arrogant to underestimate the support of some pretty popular channels with quite a lot of customers.
Just checked BARB and the channels are quite popular although you can't see the number by provider.

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/w...ewing-summary/

Old 29-01-2017, 14:29   #24
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
l think you need to take those rose tinted glasses off for once.
Oh silly me ofcourse my bad i forgot that any company associated with Malone can do no wrong to you dear sir, although social media states otherwise regarding Discoverys behaviour in trying to get sky customers to phone skys customer service which in turn creates problems for genuine enquries getting through.
But silly me must have rose tint glasses on eh?
If Discovery are so confident they are worth as much as they want then why don't they go it alone?
Oh that's right because not many would subscribe to their reality tv crap (excluding eurosport as that has it's own player).
But hey ho i'm the one with rose tinted glasses on, time you took your head out of the sand young man.
Old 29-01-2017, 14:35   #25
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post

Do you think Sky are some tinpot operation ? They've been surveying people for over a year on what channels they like and questioning specific to these I'm pretty sure they'll have an idea as to how this will impact subscriber numbers. It's a game between two huge corporations which one will cave first.

Last edited by muppetman11; 29-01-2017 at 14:53.
Old 29-01-2017, 14:42   #26
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Oh silly me ofcourse my bad i forgot that any company associated with Malone can do no wrong to you dear sir, although social media states otherwise regarding Discoverys behaviour in trying to get sky customers to phone skys customer service which in turn creates problems for genuine enquries getting through.
If Discovery are so confident they are worth as much as they want then why don't they go it alone?
Oh that's right because not many would subscribe to their reality tv crap (excluding eurosport as that has it's own player).
But hey ho i'm the one with rose tinted glasses on, time you took your head out of the sand young man.
Now tell me where have stated that Mr Malone can do no wrong??? as l am pretty sure he ain't much better then nefarious Rupert.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

Quote:
6 million customers a week watching Discovery channels on Sky's platform is nothing to be sniffed at.

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Quote:
And less of the young please as l am probably old enough to be your father although you have to remember when one is getting on in years one generally becomes more dense as the brain starts to go.
Old 29-01-2017, 14:56   #27
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Now tell me where have stated that Mr Malone can do no wrong??? as l am pretty sure he ain't much better then nefarious Rupert.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

6 million customers a week watching Discovery channels on Sky's platform is nothing to be sniffed at.

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

And less of the young please as l am probably old enough to be your father although you have to remember when one is getting on in years one generally becomes more dense as the brain starts to go.
The young was a compliment
Discovery claim 6 million customers a week but how many will they get if they went it alone? I'm sure quite a few of that 6 million would not subscribe.
Universal channels get 12million+ weekly watching on sky platform but you don't see them demanding silly money then crying on social media when they get told to do one.
Discovery were the ones who walked away from negotiations not SKY, now i'm no fan of SKY as most on here know but for once i actually agree with SKYs stance on this.
What's saying Discovery don't start the same crap with BT and tv player too? i'll exclude vm as vm are in a good position due to malones 29% stake in Discovery but malone risks backlash bt sky may make future negotiations for vm very difficult all because of Discovery thinking they are better than what they are.
The bottom line here is ultimately there will only be one loser and that's us the consumer.
Old 29-01-2017, 15:08   #28
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Indeed the consumer generally will always be on the bottom of the pile sadly.
Old 29-01-2017, 16:48   #29
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Guess you don't like Tennis or winter sports then?

We watch something on one of the portfolio of Discovery channels every day. I'd love Discovery to provide a streaming platform so that I can ditch Virgin TV
Old 29-01-2017, 16:54   #30
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
I'd love Discovery to provide a streaming platform so that I can ditch Virgin TV
Throw in nat geo and we'd cut the cord in an instant.

We're really getting close to dumping the TV package and line rental and just taking the BB. So many trash channels.
Closed Thread