Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Expanse

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

The Expanse

Old 20-07-2016, 20:41   #31
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: The Expanse

Done. Really enjoyed it but a bit narked it was under 10 hours long overall. I guess it has its benefits as it sticks to the main plot each episode. Onto Season 1 E3 of Mr Robot now.
Old 20-07-2016, 21:37   #32
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

this is the first time I have really thought about it but I think I prefer one big story like GoT and the Expanse rather than individual episodes like Star Trek. Each has their pros and cons; with individual episodes you get to expand the universe and see more individuals/locations (planets in this case) but I am all about character development and one big story really lets you sink you teeth into something (24 is another one) and make it more realistic with the level of detail.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 11:18   #33
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
this is the first time I have really thought about it but I think I prefer one big story like GoT and the Expanse rather than individual episodes like Star Trek. Each has their pros and cons; with individual episodes you get to expand the universe and see more individuals/locations (planets in this case) but I am all about character development and one big story really lets you sink you teeth into something (24 is another one) and make it more realistic with the level of detail.
Personally, I prefer a balance of the two. Both ST: TNG and DS9 did that, more so in their latter years, and DS9 more than TNG.

I like a balance of the two because, as you say, an ongoing plotline gives the show more chance to develop both the story and the characters, while individual episodes allow viewers a little relief from an ongoing story. DS 9 used them particularly effectively during the Dominion War storyline, which could have become a lot more depressing without them. Individual episodes also allow people to dip in and out of TV shows, without feeling they have to commit many hours to understand the story line, which they may be unwilling to do if they aren't sure they'll like a show. After all, it's easier to justify watching a show for 1 hour than it is for 24.

The funny thing is, as I get older, the three things that interest me more than anything else in a TV show or film are the story, the acting and directing. You can have the best special effects in the world, but if you don't have a good story, good acting and good directing to back it up, you don't have a good film or TV show. You have a tech demo. See the film Skyline for an example of this.

But, get a good story, good actors and a good director together, and you will have a good show or film whatever genre it is in, and you don't need a massive budget to do it (although a big budget and good special effects do help).

I could go on, but I am going off topic.. I've watched a couple more episodes, and while I think the Expanse is a better show than Dark Matter (which is so predictable you could almost sit there with a list of Sci Fi cliches ticking them off as they appear on the show), it is still veering toward being a generic Sci Fi show with good special effects, so I'm not too sure if I am going to continue with it. I certainly don't feel the excitement for each new episode that I do for new episodes of, say, Orphan Black, 24, Arrow or Sky's The Tunnel.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 18:49   #34
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The funny thing is, as I get older......
that's the thing, when I was younger I was always looking for something new and different in each to keep me interested, whether it be a new planet, ship or alien. Now I am the grand old age of 36 I like depth and story and detail and which is why B5 and BSG are my favourite series ever. They both centred around one main location and told amazing stories all focused around a core group of characters. I enjoyed DS9 (preferred TNG and Voyager) but season 7 was a mile ahead of all the previous seasons because it really delved in to and explored such a critical turning point in Federation history.
Old 23-07-2016, 19:05   #35
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

B5 was unique in that it had a proper pre-thought out 5 yr arc and the odd foray into individual characters too, it's one of my favourites as well.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 21:42   #36
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
B5 was unique in that it had a proper pre-thought out 5 yr arc and the odd foray into individual characters too, it's one of my favourites as well.
Season 5 of B5 was a bit of a mess, imho. They tried to tie up the story in 4 seasons then got a fifth season when they switched to TNT for season 5. Hence the series finale was actually filmed at the end of season 4.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 22:25   #37
General Maximus
Ran Away

I actually prefer the season 5 finale, it pays homage to the series and is a testament to the story and legacy to everything that has happened. Even though B5 was only 5 seasons I feel like it was 10. So much happened and so much ground was covered and the finale was a salute to good vs evil and showing us that everything worked out for the characters who had sacrificed so much. It truly was a perfect ending to a perfect series. I love the Voyager finale as well as many other series finales but nothing trumps B5.
Old 26-07-2016, 01:13   #38
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Gotta remember though that the series finale was actually written as the season 4 finale but then it got renewed for a 5th season so they kept hold of it rather than airing it. It went something like that anyways.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:30   #39
General Maximus
Ran Away

season 2 trailer released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHFMK9l5cCg
Old 12-11-2016, 14:03   #40
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The Expanse is also now on Netflix UK
Old 12-11-2016, 15:31   #41
General Maximus
Ran Away

excellent, I think Netflix is going to be the most popular tv platform in 3-5 years time. They are being really clever and picking up some really quality series as well as producing their own (e.g. all the Marvel ones).
Old 14-11-2016, 18:07   #42
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Coming to Amazon Prime UK December
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:32   #43
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Can anyone else confirm December 14 UK Amazon Prime air date?
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 17:37   #44
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Seems a bit strange for it to be going on Prime when it's not long since been added to Netflix, unless it's being removed from there.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 18:03   #45
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Especially as it's down on Netflix as a Netflix Original!