Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky announces Now TV set-top box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky announces Now TV set-top box

Old 26-07-2013, 10:55   #1
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
Sky announces Now TV set-top box

New Now TV Set Top Box

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...or-gbp999.html
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2013, 11:34   #2
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: Sky announces Now TV set-top box

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
don't think it sell much with sky sports being £9.99 a day on there ect
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 11:37   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
At that price its a complete rip off.
Old 26-07-2013, 11:42   #4
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

If you could just use it as a smart TV adaptor it's not bad for a tenner. but you have to sign up for a nowTV account to activate it. I can't find out for sure if you have to keep paying beyond the free trial to keep it working.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 11:58   #5
Jameseh

£10 for an iPlayer, Demand 5 and Spotify box, not too bad.

Ordered one to mess around with anyway, it comes with an HDMI so if its useless I've only wasted £6.
Old 26-07-2013, 12:03   #6
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
£10 for an iPlayer, Demand 5 and Spotify box, not too bad.

Ordered one to mess around with anyway, it comes with an HDMI so if its useless I've only wasted £6.
When you get it let us know what its like
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 12:35   #7
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I've now ordered one too.

This seems to imply you don't /need/ to keep on paying past your free trial
http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV...120062#U120062

The site is clearly being hammered today though it was an effort to get to the /pay/ part
Old 26-07-2013, 12:48   #8
tizmeinnit

the Roku cost a lot more than a tenner. Wonder how long before there is a firmware hack
Old 26-07-2013, 12:49   #9
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
the Roku cost a lot more than a tenner. Wonder how long before there is a firmware hack
I was wondering that
Old 26-07-2013, 12:51   #10
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
I've now ordered one too.

This seems to imply you don't /need/ to keep on paying past your free trial
http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV...120062#U120062

The site is clearly being hammered today though it was an effort to get to the /pay/ part
that reply was clear as mud

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/...annels-on-Roku

this is a private channel list on the Roku hope this kinda thing will work
Old 26-07-2013, 12:52   #11
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

"You will need a NOW TV account to access the box, you do not need an active account to access other channel on the box."

Seems pretty clear to me.

Get an account (free) cancel before the trial is up and it will still work.
Old 26-07-2013, 12:53   #12
tizmeinnit

Quote:
. So if movies are your thing, sign up to a 30 day free trial, then it's just £8.99 per month for the first 3 months
this makes me think you do not even need to sign upto the free trial only if you want sky movies just get the membership to sky now

I see from further reading the account you set up is with the free trial so they hope you forget and pay the 9 quid
Old 26-07-2013, 12:56   #13
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
this makes me think you do not even need to sign upto the free trial only if you want sky movies just get the membership to sky now
Well you need a nowtv account - and I think this is the only way to get a free one.

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Anyway I guess i'll find out in a few days
Old 26-07-2013, 13:00   #14
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Seems a logical move , its basically a Roku box with Sky branding and possibly locked down to Sky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
I'm sure if many people feel the same as you and the general consensus is that its too costly they'll review prices or look to change the offering.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 13:10   #15
tizmeinnit

from the small print
Quote:
You will need to create a Roku UK account to use NOW TV with Roku.
now looking on the Roku site it appears that this offers you a massive amount of extra content and not only that is shows you Sky are selling this for 40 quid less than RRP so it looks like it is a rebanded fully functional Roku box I hope this turns out to be the case

http://www.roku.com/uk

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

set my Roku account up they need payment info for when you buy channels but there are plenty of free ones. This could be the bargain of the year

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

the list I posted earlier has all the private number codes needed to add to Roku and hopefully this

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Has anyone seen specs for what res this is? the LT is only 720 the XS 1080 plus we wont get the games remote control. But its still cheap