Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo and Slingbox

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Tivo and Slingbox

Old 22-04-2011, 12:32   #1
jpa
Inactive

jpa is an unknown quantity at this point
Tivo and Slingbox

Has anyone tried to use a Slingbox with their Tivo yet?
I have been trying to connect it up this morning for watching from the Slingbox website but with no luck.
If i put Tivo as the box nothing happens and nothing can be found , but if i use Virgin V+ as the box then the Tivo responds but with no picture,sounds very much like i would have to somehow connect the Slingbox to the Tivo using HDMI not Scart as i am doing now.
Any ideas?
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2011, 12:34   #2
Jameseh

Re: Tivo and Slingbox

Slingboxes do not have HDMI input. You'll have to use SCART/RCA or buy a HDfury HDMI to Component converter.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22   #3
countbackground
Inactive

countbackground is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm about to try out the HDFury + HDMI splitter combo with TiVo in the next week or so... watch this space...
countbackground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 14:29   #4
Begize
Inactive

Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Begize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the rough

I tired this the other day and it seemed to work although to be honest, I only connected to it on the internal network in the house just to prove it worked. I had the client configured with the box as a V+ as that's what I had before.

Slingbox is connected to the SCART output of the TiVo.

When I did try to access from the internet, it could not find the Slingbox but that's probably because I've got a new router since I last used the Slingbox and need to configure the ports etc.
Begize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 21:10   #5
countbackground
Inactive

countbackground is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I split HDMI using a Neet HDMI splitter, which gave me Tivo's HDMI output. I then jacked this into an HDFury3 and converted to composite into the Slingbox. I then picked up audio from the SCART on the back of the TiVo and jacked that into the Slingbox. Voila: digital 1080i on the TV plus an HD stream from the Slingbox. Job done.
countbackground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 22:35   #6
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by countbackground View Post
Well I split HDMI using a Neet HDMI splitter, which gave me Tivo's HDMI output. I then jacked this into an HDFury3 and converted to composite into the Slingbox. I then picked up audio from the SCART on the back of the TiVo and jacked that into the Slingbox. Voila: digital 1080i on the TV plus an HD stream from the Slingbox. Job done.
I hope you mean component!

Going from HDMI to composite would be a hell of a downgrade, although I have done something similar recently playing a Blu-Ray Disc on a PS3 then outputting via composite to a CRT TV. (Blockbuster sent my brother a voucher for a Blu-Ray disc so it was cheaper than getting a DVD).
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 17:39   #7
ukefc
Inactive

ukefc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Can someone tell me what configuration options i need when setting up the slingbox with TiVo? I am trying to connect via component from tivo to slingbox but not getting any signal. In slingbox settings I am selecting component, virgin as the manufacturer and then V+. There is no option for tivo.

Thanks.
ukefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 23:32   #8
mypalpop
Inactive

mypalpop is on a distinguished roadmypalpop is on a distinguished road

Anyone been able to get one of these working? I'm moving abroad so seriously thinking about getting one. Are there any hoops to jump through before it will work as intended?
mypalpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 09:22   #9
gavinlew
Inactive

gavinlew is an unknown quantity at this point

My original Slingbox works fine with Tivo and Samsung V+ Box's , using the Scart output on both STB's. Allows me to watch (with on screen displays) from wherever I have a usable internet connection.
gavinlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 19:19   #10
jcw00
cf.addict

jcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the roughjcw00 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinlew View Post
...from wherever I have a usable internet connection.
What connection upload speed do you have at home and what's required for download speed at the remote location?
jcw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 16:55   #11
mypalpop
Inactive

Mine arrives today. I'm moving abroad, so I thought it would be a worthwhile purchase. I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 05-10-2011, 15:22   #12
jimrobo
Inactive

jimrobo is an unknown quantity at this point

far better than on v+. On v+ I had to change the options anytime I wanted to use the slingbox as it either outputted through the hdmi or scart. Tivo outputs both at once so my slingbox is allways on.
jimrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 19:11   #13
mypalpop
Inactive

Ok - 24 hrs in these are my reflections:

1) I have connected the Slingbox via the scart output (my tv is connected via an HDMI cable).

If I try to stick my telly on standby and then watch via the Slingbox, I get a message telling me that I can't watch without first unplugging the HDMI cable. This also happens when I switch my TIVO on using the Slingbox. This seems to be some kind of (very frustrating) technical problem.

I can overcome this by ensuring the TIVO is on and then switching my telly off at the wall. Obviously, this is far from ideal as I need to remember to do this every time there is a chance that I might use the Slingbox.

Anyone know if there is a solution or if the forthcoming update will fix this?

2) I had assumed that as I have the 30 mg broadband, I'd have a 3 mg upload speed, but no. Apparently my area (Perth) has yet to be upgraded so I'm stuck with a maximum quality of 1 meg when I'm out and about. As I am moving abroad, and will use the Slingbox daily as my main source of TV, this is a major drawback. My recommendation is to check first.

3) The Slingbox, doesn't natively support the VM TIVO, so I have configured it as a V+ box and it seems to work fine. I haven't found anything that the V+ remote isn't able to do on the TIVO.

4) I have been impressed with the Slingbox itself - its much smaller than I had expected (I have the Solo), the web software seems to just work and the quality of the stream is good (great over wifi). Not sure if it'll be able to keep up with the football when I'm not on wifi, but we'll see.

Overall, despite its faults I'm glad I purchased it and hope I'll get a lot out of use from it. It's just a shame that the TIVO doesn't play ball with it properly!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:50   #14
mypalpop
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by countbackground View Post
I'm about to try out the HDFury + HDMI splitter combo with TiVo in the next week or so... watch this space...
Is this what is required to get the HD signal from the tivo into the Slingbox, as it doesn't natively support HDMI?

If so, I have just checked the price and it seems frightening

Mines hating the SCART signal at the moment.
Old 13-01-2012, 20:49   #15
mypalpop
Inactive

Quick heads up for all slingbox/tivo users. Slingbox now (finally) natively supports Tivo!

Hurrah!