Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are books better than the movie?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Are books better than the movie?
View Poll Results: Are books better than the movie?
Yes 24 52.17%
No 5 10.87%
Sometimes 17 36.96%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-07-2005, 19:57   #1
Reddevil63
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20Mb CM, Sky+, TV Drive
Reddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the roughReddevil63 is a jewel in the rough
Are books better than the movie?

As per topic.

Personally I think books are better than the movie version.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2005, 20:00   #2
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
Re: Are books better than the movie?

100% agree - never seen a movie yet that I enjoyed as much as the book. Movies are good but at the end of the day a movie directors vision of something which is limited by a specific budget or technology is nowhere near as good as the one in your head.

Additionally, the content is usually trimmed to satisfy cinema schedules.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 20:12   #3
makikomi
Inactive

Services: NTL cable
makikomi has reached the bronze age
makikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze age

I agree with you completely.

With books, you get a chance to see how the characters are thinking, and you can picture the scenes in your head.

With films there is often a bit of Hollywood-isation involved, the scenes are rarely how you picture them, and trying to pack into 2 hours what could be 14 hours' reading is never gonna work 100%.

I read Tom Clancy's "Clear and Present Danger" and thought it an excellent read. The film was a big disappointment. Too many cliches, and strayed too far from the original story.

On the other hand, if a film is done well, it can add a lot to the book. I read "Blackhawk Down" before I saw the film, and got an idea of how desperate the situation was for the soldiers involved. When I saw the film (which was made with full-co-operation of the people that were actually there) it made me realise how horrifying it must have been, and the bravery of the troops. The old saying "a picture tells a thousand words" can ring true then.

However, by and large I usually prefer to see a film AFTER I've read the book, not before.
makikomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 21:08   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I would think the answer depends on which you saw/read first.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 21:10   #5
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I usually prefer the book to the film.

The most notable exception to this would be The Tommyknockers. Which I suppose shouldn't count as it's more a mini series than a film. but the series was MUCH better than the book.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 21:16   #6
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Book and your minds eye everytime.
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 21:18   #7
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Dunno, I always found Tolkein spends too much time building a scene in LOTR, I struggled to read it as I found my attention drifting too often, yet the movies were very enjoyable.

I guess it's down to how well the books were written, and how well the movies were made.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 21:22   #8
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
I would think the answer depends on which you saw/read first.
Not necessarily.... just as an example, I saw Carrie first, then read the book. The book's much better. Same with IT... book's better by far. Maybe it's just King's novels that don't translate well to film, but it was also the same for Charlie & the Chocolate Factory which I've just watched and then read with my son.

Too often I don't have time to read a book so the film is a convenient alternative, but I'm struggling to find a better film than a book I've read.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 21:30   #9
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Almost without exception, books are better than movies. I think I have seen a movie that is better than it's book, but I can't remember which one off the top of my head.

For one thing, a book often sets more of the atmosphere than a movie, a movie tends to gloss over the less important, but still good material in the book.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 21:32   #10
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nikon
Dunno, I always found Tolkein spends too much time building a scene in LOTR, I struggled to read it as I found my attention drifting too often, yet the movies were very enjoyable.

I guess it's down to how well the books were written, and how well the movies were made.
I have to agree.

LOTR books were awful, so much desciption. It drives you crazy, they change scene enough and then gives pages after pages of description. The plot could fit into one book! The films are much better, but i have to think that the books are thin on plot and this caused problems in the movies as it does drag in places and they dont have the benefit of waffleing on.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 22:22   #11
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex

i'd go with book 99.9% of the time.... i have a fairly vivid imagination, and if i watch a movie, i always come away disappointed that the characters aren't as i imagined them. also film generally stray to far from the books... an example which springs to mind are the bridget jone's diary films/books... the film was completely different to the books,,,, the films left out whole parts of the plots
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 22:27   #12
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Generally, I prefer the book version over the film. The only time that I seen a film where it was (nearly) the same as the book was Fight Club. A couple of alterations, that was it. I read the book after the film and was really surprised in how the film turned out.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 22:33   #13
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

I can read a book then watch the film but I can never watch the film first then read the book....strange
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 22:35   #14
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyme38
I can read a book then watch the film but I can never watch the film first then read the book....strange
Well, if I've enjoyed the film and I find out that it came from a book, I sometimes get the book just to see what it was like.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 22:56   #15
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyme38
Films are passive, it doesn require much effort on your part. Reading requires a insane amount of attention and time. The majority of the time the motivation of reading a book is the need to know what happens next, if you already know then most of the motivation is gone. At least thats what its like for me
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote