Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SH3 Native vs L2TP pings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

SH3 Native vs L2TP pings

Old 24-02-2017, 12:22   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
SH3 Native vs L2TP pings

At the moment my CPE terminating the L2TP tunnels can't handle the speed so there will be packetloss when I'm downloading (It's an RB450G, I have a more powerful CPE but It's not here at the moment, will swap them out once I have it here)

Not enough data yet to be sure, but interestingly the ping to the Tunneled IP doesn't appear to be showing the same spikes that's common with the Puma6 chipset in the SH3 or at least not as frequently.

P.s it's 2x L2TP tunnels "bonded" (They're limited to 100M each)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2017, 12:53   #2
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: SH3 Native vs L2TP pings

Similar behaviour was seen by a user on the DSLreports forum Puma 6 issues thread using only a VPN connection and no direct connections.

Specifically, if the modem is dealing with only one or a few established flows, the issues are reduced to a constant ~10ms of jitter, without huge spikes and without loss.

As soon as it's dealing with more flows and they're being regularly established/closed it has issues again.

There's no reason why it should - it's acting as a modem/media converter. It shouldn't care about the contents of the packets, it isn't doing any NAT, but that's the way it behaves.
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 17:12   #3
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: SH3 Native vs L2TP pings

Hm, I asked AAISP if I could do this (pay for 2 tunnels and get 200mbit) and they told me no, but I would have 2TB usage....

Might have to try again!
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote