Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Setting up a Linksys WRT54G

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting up a Linksys WRT54G

Old 25-07-2005, 14:07   #1
ilford-jedi
Inactive

Services: NTL basic phone/TV package with Dial-up
ilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about them
Setting up a Linksys WRT54G

I've just bought one of these wireless routers and have to say that the Quick Installation guide isn't exactly very helpful for a total noob like me. Does anyone have or know of an easier guide to follow?

My aim is to run 2 lappys off of it - both have Wi-Fi - but I'm not too sure whats to be done espceially as regards setting up the built in firewall.

Any help\advice much appreciated.
ilford-jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-07-2005, 14:11   #2
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat
Re: Setting up a Linksys WRT54G

If both the laptops are running windows, then it is very simple...

to check they are working, simply switch on your CM, then the router, then all shoild be working...

Power on the latops and they should see the router without any problems..

if you want help configuring the security, PM me and I'll see what I can do...
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 14:16   #3
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

to CF

Should be very little you need to do, pretty much Plug & Pray

I'm going to assume it's a SACM!

First step is to make sure a wired connection is working -

Turn off SACM and leave for 30 secs.
Turn SACM back on
Plug RJ45 from Linksys WAN port(maybe called diff, but separate from other 4 ports) into Enet port on SACM
Turn on Router
Plug RJ45 from a PC/Laptop into Port 1 on Router.

Try browsing to www.bbc.co.uk or anywhere else you want.

If that works browse to 192.168.1.1 (default Linksys mgmt page), password admin (iirc).

If the wired connection is working you just need to turn on wireless (the Linksys guide should help here) and make it secure. (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/kb/78/ho...reless-network or http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8435) I would suggest changing the SSID at this point from the default 'Linksys'.

Once Wireless is turned on, you should be able to use the other laptop wirelessly to browse.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 09:55   #4
ilford-jedi
Inactive

ilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about themilford-jedi has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks. Am I then correct in thinking that I don't have to install what's on the CD on either lappy? Seems a bit too easy to me - but then I am a noob
Old 26-07-2005, 11:33   #5
wakhtar
Inactive

Services: Telewets TV and Broadband
wakhtar is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to wakhtar

I am having lots of problem with my Linksys router. i cannot connect to it from my desktop. At the prsesent moment i have a wired network set-up and working fine sharing the connection to three pcs. I would like to use the wireless linksys router to connect the existing three wired pc and also add a wireless connection to my laptop. what do i need to do....I have a Surfboard cable modem.
wakhtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 11:45   #6
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakhtar
I am having lots of problem with my Linksys router. i cannot connect to it from my desktop.
I think you need to expand on the detail here as saying you have problems isn't enough.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 11:50   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I am having lots of problem with my Linksys router. i cannot connect to it from my desktop. At the prsesent moment i have a wired network set-up and working fine sharing the connection to three pcs. I would like to use the wireless linksys router to connect the existing three wired pc and also add a wireless connection to my laptop. what do i need to do....I have a Surfboard cable modem.
to CableForum.

As etccarmageddon says, what sort of problems are you having? Have you been through the steps at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8269?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 11:58   #8
zovat
Inactive

zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilford-jedi
Thanks. Am I then correct in thinking that I don't have to install what's on the CD on either lappy? Seems a bit too easy to me - but then I am a noob
That is correct, you should not need to install anything on the laptops, as they will be connecting to the Linksys, and it will be doing all the work for you

Quote:
all you should need is a WiFi card in the PC's you want to connect...

Any card should do, (I use netgear and belkin cards to connect to my Linksys) and if you are running windows then all should connect pretty easily.

As already pointed out, there is a good thread detailing the steps to take.
Old 26-07-2005, 12:11   #9
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

also check out the help here and search for posts by Raislin - he's a smarty pants and has given out some good advice:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=29010

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/me...hp?userid=3411
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 12:12   #10
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

The Windows wireless zero config process should connect the router to the laptops. Start close together with no wireless security and broadcasting the SSID, if it connects to this then you can work on tieing down security.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 13:09   #11
wakhtar
Inactive

I have just read the setup guide and will go through the steps. {http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8269?} Thanks for the prompt adivce...i'll get back to you with the results.
Old 26-07-2005, 20:49   #12
wakhtar
Inactive

All sorted now had a faulty network card on my pc whih wasnt picking up the ip address.
Old 26-07-2005, 22:31   #13
zovat
Inactive

glad it all worked out...
Old 27-07-2005, 11:33   #14
ilford-jedi
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovat
That is correct, you should not need to install anything on the laptops, as they will be connecting to the Linksys, and it will be doing all the work for you
Nice. Just one last question. Is there anything at all I have to do to the lappys? Surely it can't be this easy, can it
Old 27-07-2005, 11:40   #15
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

With default settings (ie no WEP and an SSID being broadcast) using Win XP the Laptops should just pickup the wireless network and configure themselves to use the internet via the router.

Securing the wireless lan does take some work, as described in the links, but in default mode it should work out of the box
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote