Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Weird electrical problem - epilator

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Weird electrical problem - epilator

Old 26-12-2016, 10:24   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Weird electrical problem - epilator

Mrs Osem's trusty epilator has been playing up for a while. Essentially it started refusing to come on a few weeks ago. It has no batteries to check but I fiddled with it for a while, cleaned the head properly, checked the power cord and operated the on/off switch repeatedly to see if it could be a loose connection or something like that. Whilst doing this, it suddenly started so I thought the switch might be the root of the problem. Since then, however, the problem has remained except that we've discovered, quite by chance, that if we plug it in and just leave it switched on it'll suddenly start on its own after 5-10 mins. I'm puzzled as to what might be causing this, anyone got any ideas?*

* sensible please
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-12-2016, 12:48   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Weird electrical problem - epilator

Get her a petrol one?

I reckon it could be the cord is damaged internally. Can you meter the innards to see if power is there when it is not running?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 13:04   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Tks Taf

Can't find an obvious way of opening it up. What's odd is that it'll always start up when plugged in but it takes 5-10 mins before it does. For safety reasons she never leaves it plugged in unless she's in the same room but once it gets going it works perfectly and the on/off switch seems to function normally.
Old 26-12-2016, 13:47   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Am I the only one who had to look up "epilator" ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 14:40   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Am I the only one who had to look up "epilator" ?
I was clueless too..
Old 26-12-2016, 14:59   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Second thing to suspect is a failing start / run capacitor if it has one or the other.
Old 26-12-2016, 19:23   #7
Osem
Inactive

Cheers Taf. I know it's likely not something I can repair but there's always a chance.

Can't believe these guys who don't know what an epilator is...
Old 26-12-2016, 19:39   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

I seem to remember there being a requirement to lubricate some brands.

Does the motor run properly with the head removed?

http://www.epilatorcentral.com/how-t...-6-easy-steps/
Old 26-12-2016, 20:19   #9
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Ahhh, that's what it is
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 21:51   #10
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post

Does the motor run properly with the head removed?

http://www.epilatorcentral.com/how-t...-6-easy-steps/
I wondered about the head and moving parts so gave them a good clean before applying some silicone spray. None of the moving parts on the body of the machine were fouled so far as I could tell, they all moved freely and attaching the head doesn't seem to alter anything.
Old 30-12-2016, 09:39   #11
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Posted by Heero_yuy: Yeah, I saw your posting. You need to find out if the motor is powered through some kind of power supply that reduces the voltage. I guess that's where the trouble lies but unless you have the right kit it may be difficult to find the problem. Probably some kind of dry joint that makes contact after a while as the unit heats up internally.

Seem to have a similar problem with an LED filament bulb at the moment.
It does require an adaptor so I guess the fault could be in there as opposed to the actual epilator unit. The adaptor states it's 13v 400ma (sec) so presumably if I could find something similar around the house which physically fits the socket on the unit we could try that and see if it solves the problem. Maybe we could even chop off the lead from the adaptor and connect it to another of similar output?
Old 30-12-2016, 11:45   #12
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Any adaptor that is 12-14v and at least the 400ma would do the job. Check whether it is AC or (Probably) DC. Even if it's just for a test to see if the problem is in the adaptor.

Given that it works after a period of time you can also try leaving the adaptor plugged in and ON and sometime later plug the epilator into it. If it works immediatly it would point to the adaptor.
Old 30-12-2016, 13:10   #13
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Any adaptor that is 12-14v and at least the 400ma would do the job. Check whether it is AC or (Probably) DC. Even if it's just for a test to see if the problem is in the adaptor.

Given that it works after a period of time you can also try leaving the adaptor plugged in and ON and sometime later plug the epilator into it. If it works immediatly it would point to the adaptor.
Good idea.

I'm so used to having no problems with adaptors that I hadn't even thought of that possibility.
Old 30-12-2016, 13:25   #14
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Good idea.

I'm so used to having no problems with adaptors that I hadn't even thought of that possibility.
The older ones with an iron cored transformer (heavy and big) were pretty bomb proof but todays are mostly electronic and the quality is variable at best.

I had one that came with an antenna amplifier and it lasted all of 1/2hr before it fizzed and died
Old 30-12-2016, 13:33   #15
Osem
Inactive

Well it worked mate.

Plugged in the adaptor and tried the epilator after 10 mins and it worked so it seems that the problem lies there. For now she'll be able to use it now simply by just plugging it in a few minutes before she needs it. In the longer term I'll have a look around for similar adaptors and see if I can find something suitable lying around or buy one.

The details are:

Pri: 100-240v ac, 50-60hz, 7.5w.
Sec: 13v, 400ma.

I can't see anything on the adaptor regarding the polarity of the tip so do I assume it doesn't matter?

Replacement Philips epilators of this quality aren't cheap so even buying a new adaptor might be justified.