Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit: Article 50 to be triggered 29th March!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit: Article 50 to be triggered 29th March!

Old 21-03-2017, 14:02   #631
RizzyKing
You gotta laugh :D

RizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny star
RizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit: Article 50 to be triggered 29th March!

Article 50 does not allow for anything other then a hard exit it's just not possible and even if it were the EU is petrified that the UK won't be the last to leave so will be looking to be as harsh as possible in an attempt to scare other nations from doing it. That will fail already there are eastern european countries already fed up of the EU quite the turnaround in less then a decade and some are blatantly ignoring the rules in certain areas with no consequences from the EU. Very radical reform is needed if the EU is to have a future and it needs to abandon the federal superstate ideal that's driven most of the damage to the EU.
RizzyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2017, 14:15   #632
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: As I spend little time at home have an arrangemet to use a neighbours SKY connection for a small fee
pip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appeal
pip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
Article 50 does not allow for anything other then a hard exit it's just not possible and even if it were the EU is petrified that the UK won't be the last to leave so will be looking to be as harsh as possible in an attempt to scare other nations from doing it. That will fail already there are eastern european countries already fed up of the EU quite the turnaround in less then a decade and some are blatantly ignoring the rules in certain areas with no consequences from the EU. Very radical reform is needed if the EU is to have a future and it needs to abandon the federal superstate ideal that's driven most of the damage to the EU.
I agree with you 100% RK. The only form of "soft" Berxit I could see was something like a 5yr "transition" period which I was doubtful of anyway.

I stated way back in this thread "Hard" Brexit was the only option.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 16:31   #633
passingbat
Streaming is for 'now'

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronze

BBC accused of Brexit bias. (What a shock; I never would have guessed )

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2...-harm-britain/

Roll on the Grauniad readers...
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 16:37   #634
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: As I spend little time at home have an arrangemet to use a neighbours SKY connection for a small fee
pip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appeal
pip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appealpip08456 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
BBC accused of Brexit bias. (What a shock; I never would have guessed )

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2...-harm-britain/

Roll on the Grauniad readers...
It's not just in the Telegraph but quite a few.

It's not something we haven't known though.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 17:37   #635
RizzyKing
You gotta laugh :D

RizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny star
RizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny starRizzyKing has a nice shiny star

I loathe paying the licence fee and never watch or listen to anything bbc as it doesn't represent me or my beliefs beyond condemning them. Media bias was clearly evident on both sides and did nothing to help people on either side but the bbc loves to show the country as a mess.
RizzyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 20:20   #636
Mr K
cf.mega poster

Services: 150MB BB, TiVo & VHD XL TV, Talk Unlimited
Mr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of societyMr K is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
It's not just in the Telegraph but quite a few.
Yes, the Mail as well.
Politicians from all sides, as well as newspapers, have tried to bully the BBC over the years. They are there to tell it as it is, not the message the Govt. or anyone else wants. Do you trust Murdoch's Sky more?

This tweet from Nick Robinson (a Conservative activist in his youth) sums it up.
Quote:
Do not adjust your set. Normal service from the BBC means you will hear people you disagree with say things you don't like. (That's our job)
https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcnickro...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 21-03-2017, 21:43   #637
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars

The hard left Labour MPs, and all of the SNP, accuse it of bias well. Especially Laura Kussinburg, there was a petition to get her fired by left-wing activists IIRC. I think there might be a bias across a lot of media outlets for the status-quo, journalists attempt to fit what is happening into existing frameworks, but I don't think any of the television networks are that biased.

I think it's harder for news organizations though because people are becoming more partisan and there is less common ground from which to begin a discussion. When basic facts are disputed, the role of experts dismissed, and everything being a matter of opinion then that leaves no option but to be been by biased from one of the two sides. Corbyn loses a by-election and has historical low polling? Biased mainstream media narrative. Inflation increases as the pound falls in value? Liberal media undermining Brexit. They can't win.

People want their existing views confirmed and represented. Hence the popularity of hyperpartisan news sites which openly boast about addressing the perceived imbalance in the media, mocking 'the other side' for doing the same thing, and then printing nothing but stories which pander to their audience.

But Tory MPs are obviously going to say they're biased and there is a clear incentive to attempt to influence them to provide a positive spin on Brexit as we enter the Article 50 talks. At the leading broadcaster if they air a story about a negative consequence it could have an impact.

Last edited by Damien; 21-03-2017 at 21:53.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote