Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 200M business (Noobie Q)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

200M business (Noobie Q)

Old 13-03-2017, 16:09   #1
mevans
Inactive

mevans is an unknown quantity at this point
200M business (Noobie Q)

Hi all,

I may have posted this in the wrong place - sorry if this is the case!

last week we had out 200M business (dynamic IP) connection installed. we have a Hitron CGNV4 router.

I've managed to get the VM router in to modem only mode (so I can use my DrayTek 2952 Dual-WAN router).

I'm not sure how to set by DrayTek WAN port up though. I get the impression online, that it should 'just work'.

I think that I've uploaded a jpeg of the DrayTek settings page. Any ideas would be appreciated?!!

Thanks

Mevans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-03-13 15.04.21_01.JPG (126.7 KB, 45 views)
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2017, 17:15   #2
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: 200M business (Noobie Q)

I'm not familiar with the Virgin Business stuff, so I may be wrong - but the settings look correct to me.

What I will suggest is that you unplug the VM router and the Draytek, wait 30s and then plug the VM router back in. Then after the VM router's lights has stabilized, switch the Draytek back on.

I realise this might sound "obvious" and stupid, but genuinely do it to the letter - including waiting the 30s after power off. The VM router, when in modem mode, is very easily confused if (what it thinks) are multiple different devices getting plugged into it. Powering it on by itself gives it time to get its head in order.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 17:25   #3
mevans
Inactive

Thanks Kushan, I'll try power cycling as you describe.
To be honest, I wouldn't expect to have to do that... but I have got the impression that the VM router is a bit strange!
Old 13-03-2017, 19:16   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
the VM router is a bit strange!
you said it
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 22:12   #5
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

In 'Non RG mode' as it's called on the Hitron, it behaves just like the consumer version of the service in modem mode.

So the Draytek looks to be set correctly as it should get a WAN address directly.

After you try this check the status of the Draytek to see if it successful obtains a WAN IP address.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 22:18   #6
mevans
Inactive

indeed! Possibly the worst bit of software/firmware I've come across in the last 10 years...

...anyway, VM modem and DrayTek router working fine now following Kushan's power cycling exercise, and me using the proper Virgin DNS IPs:

Primary DNS: 194.168.4.100
Secondary DNS: 194.168.8.100

thanks for the help!
Old 14-03-2017, 10:11   #7
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
indeed! Possibly the worst bit of software/firmware I've come across in the last 10 years...

...anyway, VM modem and DrayTek router working fine now following Kushan's power cycling exercise, and me using the proper Virgin DNS IPs:

Primary DNS: 194.168.4.100
Secondary DNS: 194.168.8.100

thanks for the help!
Glad it helped! I assumed you had your own internal DNS (Active Directory or something), which is why I didn't suggest changing them.

I would suggest using Google or OpenDNS instead, as Virgin's DNS has historically not been nearly as reliable. This is what I (and others) do and have not had DNS issues in quite some time.

Primary: 8.8.8.8 (Google)
Secondary: 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS)

Just a suggestion, If you're happy it's now working then don't worry about it
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 11:04   #8
mevans
Inactive

Quote:
many thanks for this suggestion. works just fine like this too.
Old 24-03-2017, 17:29   #9
naysan19
Inactive

naysan19 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have near Identical set up, everything works fine.

One question though - how do I get to the web UI of the Hitron when in modem mode? Its useful to be able to access for troubleshooting etc. My understanding is the IP changes to 192.168.100.1 but even when enabling the relevant vlan I get no reply from that IP.
naysan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 17:50   #10
mevans
Inactive

Quote:
how do I get to the web UI of the Hitron when in modem mode?
I don't!!

Quote:
My understanding is the IP changes to 192.168.100.1
that's how I understand it too. and this is only accessible via the Hitron LAN1 socket.

I'm not sure that my router ever "sees" the Hitron.
Old 25-03-2017, 11:26   #11
naysan19
Inactive

naysan19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah thought that may be the case. It would be useful to access to reboot the Hitron remotely etc. Thanks for the info!
naysan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 16:07   #12
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Glad it helped! I assumed you had your own internal DNS (Active Directory or something), which is why I didn't suggest changing them.

I would suggest using Google or OpenDNS instead, as Virgin's DNS has historically not been nearly as reliable. This is what I (and others) do and have not had DNS issues in quite some time.

Just a suggestion, If you're happy it's now working then don't worry about it

I have done a fair bit of DNS bench tests and actually I consistently get faster results Fromm VM rather than Google.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 19:16   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
I consistently get faster results Fromm VM
when it is working
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote