Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 08-10-2014, 17:53   #76
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Eh, well the first (for XP) was released seven years after XP itself and three months after you could no longer buy XP
It was released in 2002 http://winsupersite.com/article/prod...dows-xp-review
Quote:
The second (for Vista support) was released six years after Vista, and two years after you could no longer buy Windows Vista.
October 2008 http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...nternals-team/
Old 08-10-2014, 18:45   #77
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Hmm. Clearly I fail at reading. The first link of yours had no date but googling the name came up with an article dated 2008, and the second link of yours says "Published: October 17, 2012"

Turns out the date on the article I found was for the second tool, and the date on your link is just completely wrong.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 19:47   #78
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I think the date on the second link is for the v2 release.
Old 08-10-2014, 19:49   #79
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yeah, I initially thought the 'V2' meant the Vista+ version, with 'V1' being the original XP only version... Ach well I learned something new today... Might try those out and add them to my portable kit of 'auto-install' apps.
Old 08-10-2014, 23:57   #80
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Based on the article on the Techrepublic site, I'd maybe only go for the newer Desktops one - it works for XP SP3 and above and they say it's a more resource friendly app that the original XP Powertoys version
Old 09-10-2014, 00:00   #81
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

what about Ubuntu Or Linux Mint?
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 00:58   #82
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Based on the article on the Techrepublic site, I'd maybe only go for the newer Desktops one - it works for XP SP3 and above and they say it's a more resource friendly app that the original XP Powertoys version
That's what I was going for, I assumed the original one only worked with XP anyway, and since no sane person with control of their environment would still use XP...

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
what about Ubuntu Or Linux Mint?
What about them?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:24   #83
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
That's what I was going for, I assumed the original one only worked with XP anyway, and since no sane person with control of their environment would still use XP...[COLOR="Silver"]
I must be certifiable then with two desktops and a lappy all on XP. Now where's that jacket with the arms that tieup behind...
Old 09-10-2014, 14:56   #84
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

God I hope you have a good firewall...
Old 09-10-2014, 15:18   #85
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
God I hope you have a good firewall...
Router based. Only one (inactive) threat on one machine in the last year plus a few cookies. My careful housekeeping.

None of the machines could run Windows 10 properly (or even 7 for two of them) anyway as the hardware is too old. Other priorities for money.
Old 09-10-2014, 16:46   #86
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

My problem isn't really with XP itself, it's the fact that it's now unsupported and most vulnerabilities will never get fixed. I already get several thousand incoming hack attempts per day on just about every port and not to mention the number of websites trying to exploit old IE holes or even Firefox or Chrome.

Thankfully a properly firewalled XP is still reasonably secure if using a third-party browser that is still kept up to date and there's no way to accept incoming connections, but that all goes out the window the second they connect to a public network.

Still, those machines must be pretty damn old then! I accidentally booted Windows 8.1 on 128MB of RAM the other day and it actually worked well enough that it took me a while to figure it out.
Old 09-10-2014, 18:47   #87
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
My problem isn't really with XP itself, it's the fact that it's now unsupported and most vulnerabilities will never get fixed. I already get several thousand incoming hack attempts per day on just about every port and not to mention the number of websites trying to exploit old IE holes or even Firefox or Chrome.

Thankfully a properly firewalled XP is still reasonably secure if using a third-party browser that is still kept up to date and there's no way to accept incoming connections, but that all goes out the window the second they connect to a public network.

Still, those machines must be pretty damn old then! I accidentally booted Windows 8.1 on 128MB of RAM the other day and it actually worked well enough that it took me a while to figure it out.
Lappy is an old Sony FX101 on a 600M Celeron 512M RAM. (Upgraded HDD, BIOS, battery, RAM and DVD drive) Used mainly for e-mail, browsing and playing audio/video.

Main machine is Sempron 3300 1gig RAM. (1600M hypertransport) I could run a later OS but not well I suspect.

Browsers are latest Firefox.

I'll need to make/buy/rebuild a new machine soon for main work so it'll be interesting to see how Windows 10 pans out. 8 looks too Fisher Price for me. Don't know about 9.
Old 09-10-2014, 19:43   #88
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Ach, I'm pretty sure they could both run Win 7 if you tried hard enough :-P I admit there's not a whole lot of benefit though from the end user perspective.

That said I had Vista running on a single-core Sempron 3000 for a good few years.
Old 09-10-2014, 21:58   #89
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

I run windows 7 on my uncle computer with Intel Atom with 1Gb Ram.
youtube lags,
windows 7 crash.
running very slow.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 22:26   #90
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I suppose I'm sorta cheating when the pagefile is backed by a multilevel SSD cache...