Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Security Questions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Security Questions

Old 12-02-2006, 07:33   #1
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Question Wireless Security Questions

Hi - just been out and bought myself a new wireless router from PC World (Linksys WRT54GS-UK). I previously had an Actiontec router with the NTL version software.
I have two laptops running Windows XP, both fully updated.
One laptop has the options under the wireless properties - Network Authentication of Open, Shared, WPA, and WPA-PSK. The second laptop only has the option of Open or Shared, which means I can't use WPA encryption.
Secondly, this laptop can see the network, as it appears in the list, but cannot connect - and that is even on an unsecured network with no encryption. Incidentally, I'm using the Actiontec USB Wireless adaptor for this laptop.
As a workaround - I've put the Actiontec router in one of the spare wired ports of the Linsys router, and it means I have two networks for two laptops. It works, but it's a bit clumsy.
Anyone have any ideas why the laptop can see but not connect to the Linksys router?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2006, 11:23   #2
kfridge
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV(M), Phone, Broadband(2MB) 2MB broadband
kfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of lightkfridge is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to kfridge
Re: Wireless Security Questions

So, the first laptop that can handle WPA etc. is connected to the network and is fine?

The second laptop uses the actiontec adaptor and cannot connect to the router?

If this is the case, then maybe the adapter is not compatable with the new router - the router is obviously working fine as the other laptop connects with no problem? Not sure how you could check this though without buying another adaptor...
kfridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:41   #3
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Laptop 1 - has built-in wifi and connects with Linksys and Actiontec
Laptop 2 -uses the Actiontec wifi USB adaptor, and although it can see the Linksys network, fails to connect, and doesn't have the WPA facility.
At the moment, as I've mentioned, I've worked around this by connecting the Actiontec router to the out port 2 of the Linksys router. I suppose at some point it might be worth trying a Linksys adaptor - I'll wait for PC World to sell them individually so I can take it back if it doesn't work...
Old 12-02-2006, 11:43   #4
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby

is the USB adapter setup just to connect to the Actiontec?
Maybe the SSID or something
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 22:32   #5
jem
Inactive

Services: Broadband only (Vivid 300)
jem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas why the laptop can see but not connect to the Linksys router?
Yes it's because your Linksys router is broadcasting its SSID value which the second laptop can see but can't negotiate the encryption for so hence can't attach to. Open and Shared refers to WEP (wireless equivalent privacy) encryption which is not particularly effective but better than nothing WPA is far better, PSK stands for Pre Shared Key which is a form of WPA where you manually specify an initial encryption key on both the laptop and the router.

Now reading through the posts it looks like that the second laptop can't connect even with encryption swiched off. If so then I'd be tempted to condemn the Actiontec adapter. In theory they should all conform to the standards and anything should work with anything else but in practice it never quite works out like that. I'd recommend that you get yourself a new PCMCIA wireless card for the second laptop and forget USB. If you can get a Linksys card then it's virtually guaranteed to be compatible. Use WPA-PSK if you can and you should be good to go.

Good luck

John
jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 22:33   #6
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

*moving to networking...*
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2006, 22:54   #7
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Yes it's because your Linksys router is broadcasting its SSID value which the second laptop can see but can't negotiate the encryption for so hence can't attach to. Open and Shared refers to WEP (wireless equivalent privacy) encryption which is not particularly effective but better than nothing WPA is far better, PSK stands for Pre Shared Key which is a form of WPA where you manually specify an initial encryption key on both the laptop and the router.

Now reading through the posts it looks like that the second laptop can't connect even with encryption swiched off. If so then I'd be tempted to condemn the Actiontec adapter. In theory they should all conform to the standards and anything should work with anything else but in practice it never quite works out like that. I'd recommend that you get yourself a new PCMCIA wireless card for the second laptop and forget USB. If you can get a Linksys card then it's virtually guaranteed to be compatible. Use WPA-PSK if you can and you should be good to go.

Good luck

John
My guess was that the Actiontec USB aerial was not compatible with the Linksys system - I am assuming it is the driver which will add the variety of encryptation? You're right, even with the SSID unhidden, and no encryptation, I can see but not connect - it came back with some error, like speak to your systems administator, which is a fat lot of good! I was trying to use the equipment I already had - I'll probably lash out on a new Linksys USB aerial shortly, although at the moment, the Actiontec router is sitting happily daisy-chained to the Linksys router.