Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How do I wire a hub to my pc and xbox?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How do I wire a hub to my pc and xbox?

Old 14-10-2007, 19:18   #1
xspeedyx

How do I wire a hub to my pc and xbox?

I have a hub so I can connect the pc and the xbox at the same time I was just wondering if someone here could let me know step by step how to do it or tell me if this is correct

1. connect modem to the hub
2. connect the hub to the network card
3. connect the xbox to the hub

all the connecting will be done using single ethernet wire

so let me know as I would like the xbox and the pc to be used at the same time

cheers in advance.
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2007, 19:21   #2
zing_deleted

Re: How do I wire a hub to my pc and xbox?

a hub wont work you need a router . Your modem will only assign 1 ip so only one device using a hub can access the net. You should be able to set up ICS from your pc and serve the net to your xbox though and not use the hub at all. But you will need 2 enet ports on the pc one for the modem connecting with straight patch cable and a cross over cable between the pc and xbox
Old 14-10-2007, 19:22   #3
xspeedyx

tried a router and didnt work the speeds was awful

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

or I do have two network cards
Old 14-10-2007, 23:34   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Its possible to do ICS with linux but don't ask me how

I know it involves the use of Iptables for setting up a NAT but beyond that i'm clueless
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 23:53   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

There's plenty of howtos on that anyway dragon, Google is your friend
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2007, 23:56   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

What router did you try before?

I can't see ICS being better than using an actual hardware router.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 17:53   #7
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
What router did you try before?

Don't know about that, there are some pretty awful routers around
Old 15-10-2007, 20:37   #8
xspeedyx

it was the router that vm was giving away free in the telewest days
Old 15-10-2007, 20:55   #9
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

If it is Linux your using then ics is really simple using firestarter.

http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 21:26   #10
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
If it is Linux your using then ics is really simple using firestarter.

http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php
I keep get firestarter startup failed... on boot yet it appears to be active when you run the GUI
Old 15-10-2007, 21:52   #11
xpod
Inactive

xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I`ve used ics in Linux now for the whole 15 months practically and it`s been great for our needs.
Having 2 bb connections kinda put off the need for any router at first i suppose,especially with only the 2 machines.As more have been added though ics and the little switching hub i have been just as good....if not better than a router would be......in some ways that is.

Both desktops here(mine & girls) can act as router/firewall/gateway depending on which connection is being shared around the rest of the house and as everything usually runs through my machine beforehand everything is so easy to control & monitor.
Everything is filtered as appropriate for relevant machines and i`m happy to say we`ve never had a problem.All machines are quite capable of recieving the full 20Mb...when we`re getting the full 20Mb of course

I have access to all internal machines(kids) as it were with ssh & vnc etc but none of them have access to me....purely because nothing like that runs on this machine of course.
Always have all ports closed & icmp filtering always on in firestarter so anything that is`nt some requsted web page is dropped at that the door so to speak.

Plenty blocked connections but not much else.

Quote:
I keep get firestarter startup failed... on boot yet it appears to be active when you run the GUI
Today 20:55
The only time i`ve had firestarter "fail" is when my network settings have been wrong,such as having my eth0 & eth1 mixed up etc.

A mistake many seem to make is assuming firestarter should be left to run or made to run at startup etc(or assuming firestarter IS the firewall etc).This is NOT the case of course...
Firestarter is merely a gui frontend for iptables and whenever your "configuring" is done you should close firestarter again.
Old 15-10-2007, 22:15   #12
xspeedyx

anyone got a step by step guide on how to do it I have to nic cards in my pc any help would be great
Old 15-10-2007, 23:15   #13
xpod
Inactive

What os are you using DL.
If it is Linux your using(i never know with you) and both your nic`s are showing up ok(ifconfig or lspci to check) then it`s merely a case of going into the network settings and setting one to DHCP for your internet/modem and giving the other a static ip(best way i think...192.168.0.1) with the appropriate subnet mask(in Ubuntu that gets set automatically in the network manager when you click on the empty field)....leave the gateway empty.

Then, install firestarter,go through the wizard setting the appropriate nic(eth0/eth1 etc) for your internet & the other for Internet Connection Sharing on the next page.You can use the DHCP server in firestarter for multiple machines but i`ve always found giving your connected machines static ip`s works better.

Click "save" once your done and if everything is connected properly then firestarter should run ok.If theres no problems just close firestarter once done.

Adding another pc etc is as simple as giving it a static ip(192.168.0.2) with the appropriate subnetmask and the correct gateway...i.e the second nic`s ip address.I imagine it would be much the same for an Xbox although dont quote me on that.
If you turn round and say....but it`s Windows......

The firestarter guide i posted is easy to follow btw

EDIT:AS zing said you do need a straight ethernet cable for modem to pc and a crossover cable from the second nic to >other device<
EDIT2:You can do all this via iptables yourself if your brave enough of course.
Old 15-10-2007, 23:22   #14
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
What os are you using DL.
If it is Linux your using(i never know with you) and both your nic`s are showing up ok(ifconfig or lspci to check) then it`s merely a case of going into the network settings and setting one to DHCP for your internet/modem and giving the other a static ip(best way i think...192.168.0.1) with the appropriate subnet mask(in Ubuntu that gets set automatically in the network manager when you click on the empty field)....leave the gateway empty.

Then, install firestarter,go through the wizard setting the appropriate nic(eth0/eth1 etc) for your internet & the other for Internet Connection Sharing on the next page.You can use the DHCP server in firestarter for multiple machines but i`ve always found giving your connected machines static ip`s works better.

Click "save" once your done and if everything is connected properly then firestarter should run ok.If theres no problems just close firestarter once done.

Adding another pc etc is as simple as giving it a static ip(192.168.0.2) with the appropriate subnetmask and the correct gateway...i.e the second nic`s ip address.I imagine it would be much the same for an Xbox although dont quote me on that.
If you turn round and say....but it`s Windows......

The firestarter guide i posted is easy to follow btw

EDIT:AS zing said you do need a straight ethernet cable for modem to pc and a crossover cable from the second nic to >other device<
Or clever NICS, i have seen a couple (pertiucally in laptops) that can autosence
Old 16-10-2007, 08:23   #15
xspeedyx

Thanks you never know with me and how ever it is windows I had to give ubuntu up as my family can only use windows so until I get me a lappy gotta stick with windows xp

I am still yet to try it but willl let you guys know once done