Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who : Season 6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who : Season 6

Old 28-05-2011, 20:39   #166
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Doctor Who : Season 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Until now, unfortunately. Not that I'm not enjoying it
My five-year old was scared witless. It took about 10 minutes just to stop her crying and another half an hour to distract her sufficiently to send her to bed with a reasonable prospect of her not lying there thinking about it.

I enjoyed tonight's episode more than last week but boy, was it bleak. Proper horror movie stuff. Superb cliffhanger though.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2011, 21:43   #167
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Predictable cliffhangar, as is the fact that next week's ep is the last one before the hiatus.
So far it looks like -

The silence is an evolved form of the flesh which has travelled back to try to take over the earth. That's when they took Amy, leaving a flesh replica for the current time, also why the Tardis had problems detecting her pregnancy.

Prediction for the season - River was in the spacesuit seen in the first episode and the doctor killed was a flesh replica.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 22:24   #168
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
That's one area where I think Battlestar Galactica was massively unrealistic. In my experience, people under that much stress often use humour to combat it. No one used humour in that show.
I watched the pilot of that and no more. Hated it, for the very reason you mention.

Quote:
Stephen Moffet overdid the humour in the last series, but he seems to have the correct balance now.
Can't say I agree with that.

Quote:
Anyway, on to a different subject. Did everyone like the ending of today's episode?
I like to remain spoiler-free for Who so didn't see that coming at all!
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 16:51   #169
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

"Reverse the jelly baby of the neutron flow!"

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 18:52   #170
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Trailer for next week.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_NLj...layer_embedded
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 19:23   #171
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Did anyone watch Confidential? Think it's quite funny that SM keeps on finding ways to take digs at RTD

This week - ignoring the older Doctors - when talking about the 'Would you like a Jelly Baby'/'Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow'
Old 29-05-2011, 22:24   #172
Dave9946
Inactive

Dave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Did anyone watch Confidential? Think it's quite funny that SM keeps on finding ways to take digs at RTD

This week - ignoring the older Doctors - when talking about the 'Would you like a Jelly Baby'/'Reverse the Polarity of the Neutron Flow'
I used to really love watching the confidentials as there are a great insight to what goes on in the making of etc. But I simply dont get to watch them any longer as the missus wants hers shows on too and 90 mins for myself on a saturday night is to much to ask lol.

But I liked this weeks episode, plenty of action and a decent level of the scary meter. But I do have to wander with some opinion on the net in that is the series starting to get a little complex to follow?. Dont get me wrong as complex(ish) in sci-fi is good (as you want to see some things explained in a kind of proper to understand realistic sort of way). But I do think that Doctor Who should'nt go to far down that road and try to keep the episodes a bit easier to follow for which last nights needed full attention to follow.
Dave9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 23:08   #173
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I need to watch the end of that episode again, there was a leap or two that didn't compute
Old 29-05-2011, 23:11   #174
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9946 View Post
...try to keep the episodes a bit easier to follow for which last nights needed full attention to follow.
Indeed. Case in point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I need to watch the end of that episode again, there was a leap or two that didn't compute
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 13:02   #175
Dave9946
Inactive

Dave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the rough

Or could it be more a case of there is nothing wrong with the stories as such but simply trying to fit to may scenes, action and script into some of the episodes. This weeks episode for example, turn your eye for a minute or nip to loo and your out of the episode and the rest is to hard to follow as you can so easily have missed an important part of dialog which without makes everything else more difficult to follow if you then watch a scene that makes little sence unless you catch a quick sentance a minute or 2 earlier.

Either cut a few scenes out for broadcast & stretch important info over a number scenes than have loads of relvent info in just a couple of scenes at once or add another 5 mins per episode. As it really is starting to look like they are trying to fit 50 mins plus of script into a 45 min episode.
Dave9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 17:23   #176
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13594932

Quote:
The Daleks are to be given "a rest" from Doctor Who, writer Steven Moffat has told the Radio Times.

Moffat, who is also the BBC television show's executive producer, said: "They aren't going to make an appearance for a while. We thought it was about time to give them a rest."
Woop!
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 18:24   #177
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
What was the point of the redesign then?
Old 31-05-2011, 18:54   #178
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I watched it again, I assume it'll be explained in a future episode.
Old 31-05-2011, 19:10   #179
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What was the point of the redesign then?
I don't know but thank god they have gone!

They now need to hold true to that statement and hold back from the Daleks for a few seasons. Maybe banish them altogether until Matt Smith's tenure as the doctor is finished. Imagine the impact of the 'big bad' reveal being the Daleks after years of absence, it would be much better than the anti-climax there is whenever they bring up the 'almost destroyed but not quite' Daleks for the umpteenth time.

I think the 'classic' Doctor Who villains have been underwhelming since the series had it's reboot. The Cybermen and Daleks are just boring to me. Whereas the Weeping Angels, as an example, give off a much more menacing feel. The Silence and the 'Satan' type evil that was in the 'The Impossible Planet' were much more interesting. I did like the Master however...
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 19:11   #180
tink4rbell
Inactive

tink4rbell is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally am not enjoying this series anywhere near as much as earlier ones
tink4rbell is offline   Reply With Quote