Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

Old 18-01-2011, 22:29   #1
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

After last years Cutting Edge documentary on Channel 4 about gypsy weddings comes the series.
Link

I just had to chuckle at the 7 year old at her First Communion staggering down the church aisle in her fairy princess outfit.

As a first episode I can't imagine how they can top it..
Old 18-01-2011, 22:42   #2
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

yes, twice her own bodyweight they said. It looked like they picked her up and carried the poor little soul back to the car after the service.

Still, some interesting insights. The chaperoning and sexual attitudes contrast so much with the girls initial appearance.

I'll be watching the next one.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 23:08   #3
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

It's good to see the comments from my facebook friends reflect my own viewpoint the would look better under a freshly Tarmac covered driveway.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 17:01   #4
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

2nd episode tonight.

Damn! There's footy on.
Old 26-01-2011, 20:14   #5
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Saw this on 4oD..So sad seeing the way they keep being moved off the sites they have bought to use as a base to live on and some of the children have never known any other home.

Not enough government sanctioned sites available so it's going to keep happening.
Old 26-01-2011, 20:29   #6
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Saw this on 4oD..So sad seeing the way they keep being moved off the sites they have bought to use as a base to live on and some of the children have never known any other home.

Not enough government sanctioned sites available so it's going to keep happening.
Are we talking Travellers or true Gypsies?
Can we put this into some sort of perspective? Nobody would mind where they lived if they worked and payed taxes, I.E Contributed to the system for help and welfare, which they quite happily use when in need.
budwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 20:36   #7
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I suffered this last night, as Mrs D had it on again.

I found the sexualisation of those 6 year old girls, dressed like hookers & caked in make-up, rather disgusting. The programme seemed to like it, though.

Still, I guess it's preparation for when they're strutting their stuff in carparks a few years later, waiting to be "grabbed"...

The wedding dress in the Traveller - Chav (Chaveller?) wedding was horrendous. As was the Chaveller's mother...

Still, it's car crash TV... The point of it seems to be to give us something to laugh at / look down at.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

Quote:

They shouldn't keep building without permission, then.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 20:44   #8
budwieser
cf.mega poster

budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star
budwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny starbudwieser has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post

I found the sexualisation of those 6 year old girls, dressed like hookers & caked in make-up, rather disgusting. The programme seemed to like it, though.

Still, I guess it's preparation for when they're strutting their stuff in carparks a few years later, waiting to be "grabbed"...

The wedding dress in the Traveller - Chav (Chaveller?) wedding was horrendous. As was the Chaveller's mother...

Still, it's car crash TV... The point of it seems to be to give us something to laugh at / look down at.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

They shouldn't keep building without permission, then.
I entirely agree about the point you made about the sexualisation of the younger girls, i said to my wife how totally unacceptable it was. I`m very open minded but that was too much too soon for them. What kind of standards are they being brought up to? Let them be children first and foremost.
budwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 19:17   #9
Dave9946
Inactive

Dave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the rough

Out of interest do these "travellers" pay any kind of road tax, Any insurance for there cars & vans or any kind of tax?. Thats why people in the community are so against them as they never pay into the system so why should they take anything out of it and demand this that and the other off the tax payer to settle on any land they so wish?.
Dave9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 21:24   #10
basa
Inactive

basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal
basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9946 View Post
Out of interest do these "travellers" pay any kind of road tax, Any insurance for there cars & vans or any kind of tax?. Thats why people in the community are so against them as they never pay into the system so why should they take anything out of it and demand this that and the other off the tax payer to settle on any land they so wish?.
Never mind road tax, what about income tax?

I assume they have incomes, after all I read about costs rising to six figures for some of the weddings!!

Perhaps I'd better not ask!!
basa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 21:43   #11
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwieser View Post
Are we talking Travellers or true Gypsies?
Can we put this into some sort of perspective? Nobody would mind where they lived if they worked and payed taxes, I.E Contributed to the system for help and welfare, which they quite happily use when in need.
Some may do, but then I'd never normally actually ask ANYONE be they traveller,gypsy or you whether they pay taxes or not or pry into anyone's finances uninvited..

As no one asked those questions in the programme I can't say at present.Maybe the questions will be asked in the future episodes.I do know that they bought the sites on which they were being moved from on the grounds that they had no building permission..Who owns the land after they are moved on was never mentioned.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post

You obviously missed the part where the older gypsy woman was making the point that they are disappearing fast as a group and that they are being diluted by the interaction with the rest of society including radio,TV,the internet and mobile phones which are teaching the younger children a whole new culture.

Also I got the idea at one point, that ANY girl who gets a reputation among the community WON'T be getting married within the community and will be heavily shunned by that community.Despite putting all the wares on show there is no sex before marriage and they are encouraged to marry young.In some ways they are highly moral.In others I'm sure they will fall below others high standards.

There isn't much scope for a good education if you are travelling and moving around or being moved on and I guess that a spotty education record means that you aren't going to have the requisite examinations to get a good job anywhere..
Old 30-01-2011, 23:28   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Not enough government sanctioned sites? *If* they followed procedure and tried to work within the system (by applying for planning permission and paying taxes for instance), I don't think they'd have any problem. In fact the system would probably protect them.

We had a problem with travelers a few years back. They parked up in my local station car park, and would frequently abuse not only the commuters who wished to use the car park to park in, but the commuters who had the temerity to walk past it (as they had to to use the station).

Now, I have to admit, I don't think even if the travelers became legit then people would suddenly accept them, but the system would protect them if they became legit.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

Quote:
Some may do, but then I'd never normally actually ask ANYONE be they traveller,gypsy or you whether they pay taxes or not or pry into anyone's finances uninvited..

As no one asked those questions in the programme I can't say at present.Maybe the questions will be asked in the future episodes.I do know that they bought the sites on which they were being moved from on the grounds that they had no building permission..
Based upon things I have heard both in the programme, and from other sources, I suspect that filming will have to stop fairly quickly if any member of the crew had asked anything about the taxes paid or income.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 00:17   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Not enough government sanctioned sites? *If* they followed procedure and tried to work within the system (by applying for planning permission and paying taxes for instance), I don't think they'd have any problem. In fact the system would probably protect them.

We had a problem with travelers a few years back. They parked up in my local station car park, and would frequently abuse not only the commuters who wished to use the car park to park in, but the commuters who had the temerity to walk past it (as they had to to use the station).

Now, I have to admit, I don't think even if the travelers became legit then people would suddenly accept them, but the system would protect them if they became legit.

---------- Post added at 23:28 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

Based upon things I have heard both in the programme, and from other sources, I suspect that filming will have to stop fairly quickly if any member of the crew had asked anything about the taxes paid or income.
I suspect that on the occasions they have tried to work within the system that the objections from the rest of the community have prevented them from getting planning permission.

As to discussion of income..whom is pleased to discuss such matters with any Tom,Dick or Harry on camera in any community except in the widest and non specific sense.
Old 31-01-2011, 01:26   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I suspect that on the occasions they have tried to work within the system that the objections from the rest of the community have prevented them from getting planning permission.
Possibly, although they aren't know for trying to get on with other people.

Quote:
As to discussion of income..whom is pleased to discuss such matters with any Tom,Dick or Harry on camera in any community except in the widest and non specific sense.
Most people (in my experience) who are doing something legit will say so on camera (assuming they wish to say anything).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 01:33   #15
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Possibly, although they aren't know for trying to get on with other people.

Most people (in my experience) who are doing something legit will say so on camera (assuming they wish to say anything).
Well my husband doesn't like discussing anything like that with anyone except when dealing with financial institutions and he's not up to anything dodgy.He thinks it's no one else's business and takes exception to anyone asking..This extends to me and I'm not allowed to discuss finances in any detail with anyone.