Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 19-09-2015, 09:13   #1381
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Thanks for that Al I'll try that should the problem occur again.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2015, 09:22   #1382
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Two days running I've had a blue error message saying the start menu and Cortana are not working, sign out and we will try and fix it when you sign in again. I sign in again and everything is working, anyone have this and can it be fixed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohna View Post
Like millions of other I took the bait for Windows 10. All was well at first, sorted one or two problems myself (just interested/not a techie)

Just this week I noticed on powering up, entering my Microsoft 4 digit pin I arrive at my desktop with a : Critical Error Message stating / Start Menu and Cortana not working, We will try to fix this the next time you log in.
So shut down and restart absolutely fine. Yet having to log in twice is becoming a pain. Would anyone have any ideas? they would be appreciated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohna View Post
Thanks Snoopz for your pointers, must admit it, to me its always a bit daunting to meddle with the settings. Yet its thanks to you guys it encourages me to overcome those reservations.
This afternoon as I booted up to look into this issue, greeted with the usual message. So shut down again. Booted again and as expected no message. Notifications in the task bar flashed updates waiting to be installed. Chose to clear them first, this required restart which I did logged in MS account and through to desktop to find nothing. Booted up several times and all the way to my desktop and the gremlin of a Critical Error Message has gone. amazing???
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 11:53   #1383
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Updated smoothly to 10547 here.

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

I now have an issue with build 10547, where when asked to restart the PC it just gets stuck there and never restarts, also Avast tray icon fails to appear and i am unable to access the Avast console!

Doing a 'sfc /scannow' scan now and hope to fix it!
Old 19-09-2015, 12:38   #1384
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Just resinstalled windows 10 still cant see my note 3 or note 4, fed up
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 18:55   #1385
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I will be installing a new processor in my PC tomorrow. Will windows 10 throw a fit because of the new hardware and if so will it just reactivate?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 19:04   #1386
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I will be installing a new processor in my PC tomorrow. Will windows 10 throw a fit because of the new hardware and if so will it just reactivate?
if your changing motherboard as well might have to go back and upgrade again I just upgraded my motherboard and processor had to upgrade again because of new motherboard but if your changing just processor you could be ok if not try phone activate it
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 19:43   #1387
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I change my processor and had no validation problems. On the other hand, if you change motherboard Microsoft will regard this as a change of computer.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 21:22   #1388
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Its just the Processor thats being changed the mainboard was changed a few months ago after it failed.

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

I forgot to mention here i dont know if anyone has heard of it, theres a program called Ultimate windows tweaker. I watched a video about it being used on windows 10 on youtube and its well worth downloading and changing some behind the scenes settings.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:02   #1389
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I switched on the old Dell D610 laptop to bring it up to date, when I tried to log in after it rebooted, it did the modern BSOD equivalent, and rebooted, kept doing this

so googled the error

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal i8042hdr.sys

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...e-720b9b6ba5ae

seems a lot of people have had this, seems the lenovo touchpad driver gets installed! as in the link above, plugged in a usb keyboard and mouse, deleted the lenovo entry in device manager, rebooted, and all ok now!

Meanwhile on my desktop using win10, dessite Oracle saying virtualbox now works in win 10, my existing VMs and new ones, won't start

VMware works, but is annoying, after every big Win10 update, I have to uninstall vmware, and install it again, as the updates kill the bridged network adapter!
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 20:21   #1390
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Ashampoo® AntiSpy for Windows 10

https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/...for-Windows-10
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 15:16   #1391
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I would recommend Adguard for Edge ad-blocking.

30 day free trial, or $19.95 for full version.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 15:35   #1392
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Hopefully Ad-block or similar will be available for Edge when it supports addons.
Old 28-09-2015, 21:23   #1393
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Windows 10 reportedly passes 100 million installations milestone

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-...ions-milestone

Microsoft Explains When You Need a Windows 10 Product Key and When You Don’t

http://news.softpedia.com/news/micro...t-492927.shtml

Privacy and Windows 10

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...nd-windows-10/
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 11:55   #1394
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

<<long screed alert>>

I was one of the many frustrated MS window users who were stuck with the 80040020 error message appearing every day. Took me ages to find out that the message didn't necessarily mean that I actually had an error but that Microsoft had decided to protect their servers from being overwhelmed. I was a tad peeved that, having reserved my upgrade to W10 very early on, Microsoft had left me and a lot of others in limbo trying to figure out what was wrong.

There were solutions out there but as they involved wiping folders and entering code in that scary black box, some fellow members will know that this timorous beastie does not cope well with instructions about typing anything in that thing , so I decided to wait until MS thought I was worthy enough to be upgraded.

This weekend, being stuck with bed rest for the third week running meant I was very very BORED so I had a play around and wondered just how much damage I could wreck using the MS media creation tool and, much to my delight, after a couple of hours of peeping at the screen over the top of my hand I finally have Windows 10!!!!!!! so there are now 10,000,001 users.

Initial thoughts are that I don't like the new start screen despite getting rid of most of the tiles, so have gone back to using StartisBack.

I talk to enough inanimate objects in my life and the idea of one of them answering me back freaks me out so no thanks Cortana.

Not overly impressed with Edge, will keep an eye on how it develops but in the mean time will continue to use Firefox.

Switch on to actually browsing seems a lot faster but that could be down to being bored enough to spend time clearing away the rubbish that I seemed to have lying around on my HD.

My Panda Free 2016 anti virus seems to be working well as is my Malwarebytes anti-exploit.

... and the best news is that I am off bad rest so my laptop can breath easier as I won't keep fiddling with it's settings.
Old 29-09-2015, 12:06   #1395
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
<<long screed alert>>

I was one of the many frustrated MS window users who were stuck with the 80040020 error message appearing every day. Took me ages to find out that the message didn't necessarily mean that I actually had an error but that Microsoft had decided to protect their servers from being overwhelmed. I was a tad peeved that, having reserved my upgrade to W10 very early on, Microsoft had left me and a lot of others in limbo trying to figure out what was wrong.

There were solutions out there but as they involved wiping folders and entering code in that scary black box, some fellow members will know that this timorous beastie does not cope well with instructions about typing anything in that thing , so I decided to wait until MS thought I was worthy enough to be upgraded.

This weekend, being stuck with bed rest for the third week running meant I was very very BORED so I had a play around and wondered just how much damage I could wreck using the MS media creation tool and, much to my delight, after a couple of hours of peeping at the screen over the top of my hand I finally have Windows 10!!!!!!! so there are now 10,000,001 users.

Initial thoughts are that I don't like the new start screen despite getting rid of most of the tiles, so have gone back to using StartisBack.

I talk to enough inanimate objects in my life and the idea of one of them answering me back freaks me out so no thanks Cortana.

Not overly impressed with Edge, will keep an eye on how it develops but in the mean time will continue to use Firefox.

Switch on to actually browsing seems a lot faster but that could be down to being bored enough to spend time clearing away the rubbish that I seemed to have lying around on my HD.

My Panda Free 2016 anti virus seems to be working well as is my Malwarebytes anti-exploit.

... and the best news is that I am off bad rest so my laptop can breath easier as I won't keep fiddling with it's settings.
Don't forget to change these update settings if you don't want Windows update to use your connection for others!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post1102.html