Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 07-09-2015, 14:04   #241
toytown
Inactive

toytown is an unknown quantity at this point
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
As subsequently reported, these upload speeds have turned out to be false. The 100Mbps details have not been confirmed but the other figures are 200/12 and 300/20.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7...-products.html
Any news on if they are going to be traffic managed like the existing ones?
toytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2015, 14:26   #242
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Why is that a bad thing? Terminology aside I thought anything above 30Mbps was classed as "next-gen", "superfast" or "ultrafast" be damned.
As far as I know, "superfast" is indeed anything above 30Mbit (or possibly anything above 24Mbit), the definition seems to shift a bit depending on who you ask.

However, I don't think there's any consensus on what "ultrafast" is, it may as well be a made-up term but it sounds better than "superfast", hence you could argue that it's misleading. However, I think you and I agree, the terms themselves are more or less meaningless, even if there's a consensus on what "superfast" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytown View Post
Any news on if they are going to be traffic managed like the existing ones?
Only upload is currently traffic managed but if I had to guess, I'd say that STM will still be in place for the upgrade. Hopefully they'll up the limits a bit to compensate.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 20:35   #243
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I had a brief outage last night. Looking at my SH2 config today I see that I have been dropped from three to two upstream channels. Given a background of network upgrades I have to say I wasn't expecting that!

US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 2.0 N/A N/A
Channel ID 1 2 N/A N/A
Frequency (Hz) 46200000 39400000 N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success Success Other Other
Modulation 16QAM 16QAM N/A N/A
Symbol Rate 5120000 5120000 N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 4 4 N/A N/A
Power Level 42.75 40.75 N/A N/A
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 21:05   #244
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

I regularly bounce from 1 to 3 upstreams.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 21:42   #245
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I had that dude when they did some maintenance a few weekends ago, as soon as I noticed the drop to two channels (a few days later) I rebooted the shub and came back on 3.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 22:17   #246
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I had that dude when they did some maintenance a few weekends ago, as soon as I noticed the drop to two channels (a few days later) I rebooted the shub and came back on 3.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
I regularly bounce from 1 to 3 upstreams.
Why would VM do That?
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 00:38   #247
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

Why would VM do That?
Because the network is sorely lacking in capacity and they are attempting to dynamically load balance?
Old 09-09-2015, 04:31   #248
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Because the network is sorely lacking in capacity and they are attempting to dynamically load balance?
Dynamic load balancing doesn't involve bouncing.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:35   #249
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I had 3 upstream channels a few weeks ago, for a few days, then dropped back down to 2 and have sat at 2 ever since.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:32   #250
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

have you tried a reboot?

Edit: Arse, I have just looked at mine again out of curiosity and I am back down to 2, I have lost my qam64 channels. Maybe they have taken the extra channels away while they do some work for the speed increase next month.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:58   #251
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

The 3 upstream channel profile was part of the WiFi project. Some room for confusion was put in as the odd area has been moved to 4 upstreams as part of capacity upgrades.

Again as said many times if there's no congestion on 2 channels being on 3 or not makes no difference. When it's necessary they'll be reintroduced.

Likely the change to 2 upstreams was the result of a move back to a 'standard' profile from a WiFi one.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:47   #252
Kushan

Yeah I wasn't arsed about loosing the extra upstream because it was all working just fine and I have no upstream congestion issues. If anything I'm glad to know there's extra capacity there if it's ever needed.
Old 11-09-2015, 14:11   #253
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Yeah I wasn't arsed about loosing the extra upstream because it was all working just fine and I have no upstream congestion issues. If anything I'm glad to know there's extra capacity there if it's ever needed.
Oh those have been there for a while. Most, if not all, areas have 3 or 4 channels, albeit not bonded.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 14:22   #254
Kushan

Is there a reason they're not bonded? I thought that bonding channels was better than trying to load balance them?
Old 11-09-2015, 17:05   #255
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Oh great going off my parents current peak speeds of 10% of the advertised speed they should be able to enjoy 20mbps soon.

If they keep upgrading each year one day they may actually get their current advertised speed (100mbps) at peak times , should be around the time their tier hits 1gbps.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote