Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network between two computers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Network between two computers

Old 11-08-2013, 09:39   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Network between two computers

I have 2 computers named Nova and main running Windows 8 64 bit (different product IDs).

I have sharing an permissions set correctly on both computers.

Both computers can access the internet via the Virgin Super Hub so that rules out the Super Hub.

When I first logon both computers Nova can access Main both read and write but Main cannot access Nova.

After about 10 minutes both Nova and Main can access each other both read and write.

Is it normal for Windows to take that time to allow the network access between 2 computers?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2013, 14:05   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: Network between two computers

Not in my experience but I have never tried win8.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 18:11   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Have you got a firewall that is set to detect new networks (e.g. Avira)?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:41   #4
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Have you got a firewall that is set to detect new networks (e.g. Avira)?
No, I did try disenabling my firewall temporarily just to check but that made no difference.

I have now enabled my firewall.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:42   #5
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Possibly the delay while the machines are negotiating which one is 'master browser'?
I'm not familiar with how this works in windows 8 but on earlier versions you could reduce this delay by a registry hack to force one machine to be 'master'
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai View Post
Possibly the delay while the machines are negotiating which one is 'master browser'?
I'm not familiar with how this works in windows 8 but on earlier versions you could reduce this delay by a registry hack to force one machine to be 'master'
I boot Nova up first then Main so your could well be correct.

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I boot Nova up first then Main so your could well be correct.

I am please that all is well now.
Old 12-08-2013, 17:31   #7
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

I had a similar problem as far back as Win98. It turned out to be an IP clash. Try configuring both computers to use a fixed (but different IP address) on the subnet.
In my case both computers were fighting for a DHCP handout at the same time.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote