Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 29-05-2016, 20:05   #1681
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I have been managing W10 now a lot better. I am getting used to the layout and like some of them , Just have to sign in to a lot of my favourites again, But getting there, I noticed W10 has a DVD player, can I now play or copy a DVD,?
The DVD player isnt free on Windows 10, what most people do is install another one which is very very good and far better than the Windows 10 one.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.en_GB.html
Old 29-05-2016, 21:12   #1682
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Thanks for telling me about the DVD not being free, I would never have thought that, Is there anything else that they charge you for that I should know about?
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 23:05   #1683
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I'm currently creating a recovery disc for my Sony Vaio, I started it over 8 hours ago.

The Estimated time remaining has been on 30 minutes for over an hour.

At one point it said 1200 hours.
Old 29-05-2016, 23:57   #1684
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks for telling me about the DVD not being free, I would never have thought that, Is there anything else that they charge you for that I should know about?
I can't think of anything, the reason they charge for it is if they gave it free they would have to pay a licence for it, so this way customer pays I guess.

That player I showed you is far better anyway and very popular.

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I'm currently creating a recovery disc for my Sony Vaio, I started it over 8 hours ago.

The Estimated time remaining has been on 30 minutes for over an hour.

At one point it said 1200 hours.
All I did before I upgraded was copy the folders I wanted to keep onto an external, the whole upgrade only took like 20mins then and I never lost anything, but to be honest a clean install is the best way to go eventually.
Old 30-05-2016, 10:21   #1685
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Why is he an idiot??
IT is a hobby, and he has no IT qualifications, I have A+.

He accused me of hacking the computer to enable the USB ports which had been disabled. Which near got me a written warning.

---------- Post added at 09:21 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

I can't get the dam Sony to use/find the data that sitting on a USB drive.
Old 30-05-2016, 10:27   #1686
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I can't think of anything, the reason they charge for it is if they gave it free they would have to pay a licence for it, so this way customer pays I guess.

That player I showed you is far better anyway and very popular.
There's also MPC that comes with the (free) K-Lite codec pack. Supports all the latest encoding and plays anything and refreshingly doesn't look like a Fisher Price toy.

Quote:
All I did before I upgraded was copy the folders I wanted to keep onto an external, the whole upgrade only took like 20mins then and I never lost anything, but to be honest a clean install is the best way to go eventually.
Agreed. I've always kept all my data in my own directory structure under /usr from DOS3.1 to W7. Backup is simple, just freshen that structure on the backup disks/sticks.

That way when M$ bugger about with things on the next OS my data is still always in the same place. After a clean install I just copy my structure back.
Old 30-05-2016, 12:05   #1687
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

It's looking like I might have to start from a clean machine.

Windows 8 is my system default.

Do I update to 8.1 then update to 10, or go from 8 to 10?

Can someone please put a link to enable me to download windows 10.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Looking at Sony's instructions I need to update to 8.1 first.
Old 30-05-2016, 12:11   #1688
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:

official download here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

use media creator tool Microsoft allows use of windows 7 and 8 and 8.1 keys to install it now till the free upgrade offer ends on 29th of July

Last edited by Dave42; 30-05-2016 at 12:14.
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 12:16   #1689
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:

Yes you need to be on 8.1 before you get offered the free upgrade.
Old 30-05-2016, 14:31   #1690
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Well I'm back to day 1, decrappifying my laptop.

Sony Vaio Care is being a bugger as is windows update.

I guess 2 years of update are the reason.

What is the cut off date for the free upgrade?
Old 30-05-2016, 14:53   #1691
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well I'm back to day 1, decrappifying my laptop.

Sony Vaio Care is being a bugger as is windows update.

I guess 2 years of update are the reason.

What is the cut off date for the free upgrade?
29th of July is end of free upgrade
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 15:16   #1692
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

This might sound daft, but I click in my External drive and cannot find it on my PC also tried a USB flash drive to try out and do not know where to look for it to open. Just moved to
Windows 10 .
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 16:18   #1693
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
This might sound daft, but I click in my External drive and cannot find it on my PC also tried a USB flash drive to try out and do not know where to look for it to open. Just moved to
Windows 10 .
Click the folder icon at the bottom of the screen then click 'This PC' on the left of the Window and that should give you a list of your drives that will look familiar to you.

As for your external try unplugging it and plugging it in again or into a different port and you may get a popup about it.
Old 30-05-2016, 17:24   #1694
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Mine refused to find my external hard drive.

Despite plugging it directly to the laptop.

So doing a fresh start, some how I'll find away to get the emails on their (Thunderbird).

Currently downloading 185 updates at 1.7GB, then I'll have ago at the Sony Vaio Care updates then download the software they say to run then windows 10

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

Will outlook that comes with windows 10 work with VM, and if so will it handle multiple email accounts.
Old 30-05-2016, 18:57   #1695
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Mine refused to find my external hard drive.

Despite plugging it directly to the laptop.

So doing a fresh start, some how I'll find away to get the emails on their (Thunderbird).

Currently downloading 185 updates at 1.7GB, then I'll have ago at the Sony Vaio Care updates then download the software they say to run then windows 10

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

Will outlook that comes with windows 10 work with VM, and if so will it handle multiple email accounts.
You mean the MAIL app that comes with windows 10? Yes it can handle more than 1 account.

http://www.howtogeek.com/232277/how-...in-windows-10/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...d-set-up-email

Last edited by SnoopZ; 30-05-2016 at 19:05.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote