Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Peanut allergy breakthrough?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Peanut allergy breakthrough?

Old 17-08-2017, 18:48   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Peanut allergy breakthrough?

Quote:
An oral treatment for peanut allergy is still effective four years after it was administered, a study has found.
Children were given a probiotic, with a peanut protein, daily for 18 months.
When tested one month later, 80% could tolerate peanuts without any allergic symptoms and after four years, 70% of them were still able to eat peanuts without suffering any side-effects.
Food allergies have risen dramatically in recent decades, with peanut allergy one of the most deadly.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40960754

As the parent of a sufferer I'm praying that this will become available and prove even more effective than it seems. It's awful never quite knowing whether something is safe to eat or not.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2017, 19:32   #2
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Peanut allergy breakthrough?

It sounds very promising Osem.

Reading the article published in the Lancet shows that although this was only a relatively small study with only 56 eligible participants enrolled in the follow-up study the results are still very impressive.

I think that a larger study will now be undertaken possibly with more centres being used in other countries before the treatment could be passed by the various commissioning agents in other countries such as our NICE who will be responsible for establishing the Clinical guidelines and implementing new treatments .

This can be an extremely long process but if you keep an eye open you may find that your son could be accepted in any UK trial. Though he may object to the skin pricking tests.
Old 17-08-2017, 20:36   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
It sounds very promising Osem.

Reading the article published in the Lancet shows that although this was only a relatively small study with only 56 eligible participants enrolled in the follow-up study the results are still very impressive.

I think that a larger study will now be undertaken possibly with more centres being used in other countries before the treatment could be passed by the various commissioning agents in other countries such as our NICE who will be responsible for establishing the Clinical guidelines and implementing new treatments .

This can be an extremely long process but if you keep an eye open you may find that your son could be accepted in any UK trial. Though he may object to the skin pricking tests.
Yes I'm sure it'll take some years but anyone with or having a loved one who suffers this allergy will be praying it is viable and will be made available as soon as is possible.
Old 18-08-2017, 10:13   #4
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Oh I do hope so, fingers crossed no more Epi Pen.
Old 18-08-2017, 11:16   #5
Osem
Inactive

The really terrible things about these reactions is the way they develop and you have no idea how bad it's going to be. Some years ago, Osem Jnr #2 was given, very stupidly, a chocolate coin (likely contaminated with nuts) by a member of the school's support staff. It was a well intentioned treat but his mouth/face soon started to swell up and carried on even after being given the normal dose of Chlorfenamine. An ambulance was called, more anti-histamine given and on the way to the hospital his face swelling started to subside. Phew. We were seen by various medical staff and told they'd need to observe him for a good few hours so we stayed there. About an hour later he started getting itchy around his neck and looking a bit red. Over the next 10-20 mins his entire body started coming up in hives. They were appearing before my eyes and it was terrifying. The docs decided to give a liquid steroid and over the next hour or so things calmed down and went back to normal thankfully. We were warned though that at any time over the next 24 hours he might relapse so we'd need to keep a close eye on him. I really can't think of a more frightening experience.

There are many allergy sufferers living with what amounts to a ticking time bomb and never knowing whether something they're going to be exposed to might kill them. It's truly awful for everyone concerned so I'm hoping that one day they'll find the answer and be able to make these people's lives normal again.
Old 18-08-2017, 11:19   #6
RizzyKing

Thankfully research is progressing in this area and i hope it leads to a treatment for all sufferer's sooner rather then later.