Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How do i watch and turn over tivo box in different room without multi room package

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

How do i watch and turn over tivo box in different room without multi room package

Old 20-07-2017, 16:11   #1
jay152
Inactive

jay152 is on a distinguished roadjay152 is on a distinguished road
How do i watch and turn over tivo box in different room without multi room package

Hi all would like to be able to watch and turn over TiVo box that is in my lounge on my bedroom tv am I right in assuming this will do the trick?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-1080p-H...19.m1438.l2649
jay152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-07-2017, 16:41   #2
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: How do i watch and turn over tivo box in different room without multi room packag

Unless I've missed something that description doesn't say its HDCP compatible which may mean it wont work with TiVo, maybe you could ask the seller on this point?
And do you have a hardwired network connection between your lounge and bedroom? Only the IR receiver seems to be wireless and the main system relies on an Ethernet connection between both units.

Also unless you wish to keep unplugging the HDMI cable from your main TV into this system I'd suggest factoring in the additional cost of an HDMI switch box, these are pretty cheap though, I got a remote controlled one from Amazon for a tenner a while back.

EDIT:
Do you have a laptop or tablet with HDMI out? If you do it may be cheaper to use Virgin TV Anywhere on the bedroom TV.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 17:13   #3
jay152
Inactive

jay152 is on a distinguished roadjay152 is on a distinguished road
Re: How do i watch and turn over tivo box in different room without multi room packag

Hi can you offer any other alternative that will work if this looks like it won't links to eBay amazon Etc?

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

I have ethernet sockets mains wired in both rooms yes don't have laptop with hdmi

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Output-1...sAAOSwepJXYXn-

You mean something like this to work alongside It?
jay152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 18:13   #4
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

As far as HDMI switches go I can only recommend the following, there may be better available but I use this one and know it works very well
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Por...ch+with+remote

If you have ethernet hardwired your chosen choice may well work but you need to check with the seller that its HDCP compatible.
Sorry that particular type of device is not something I've ever looked into apart from the link you posted so cannot say or recommend any product.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 00:02   #5
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Jay152, I've been using HDMI over cat6 for the last 4 years and it works perfectly on both original TiVo and the V6. Mine uses 2 cat6 cables but doesn't need a power supply.

Not sure about HDCP as buckeye says but can only guess anything bought now must work as well as my 4 year old device. Unfortunately I do not have a link for it as it was given to me by a friend who didn't need it anymore.

My advice would be to make sure it can be returned if you're not happy with it, not much to lose then. I recommend Neet as a reputable manufacturer, I use their HDMI splitter and whenever I've emailed tech support they've been quick and informative. Search for them on Amazon and check out their range.

PS. I don't work for Neet :-)
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 00:03   #6
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Hi Jay

That looks like an extension kit for HDMI but as buckeye says it mentions nothing about HDCP so not quite sure if it would be compatible with digital broadcasts. Worth a try at that price, I'm actually looking for something similar so might give this a bash and let you know if it works.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 02:27   #7
Dingbat
cf.member

Dingbat has disabled reputation

Does the VM TV Anywhere app work with your box?

That's what I use to change channel on a V6 box from another room.
Dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 02:44   #8
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-HDMI-1-...fVpM_515rfQ-JQ
Sounds like this ought to solve output & HDCP issues ... too good to be true?
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 02:55   #9
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat View Post
Does the VM TV Anywhere app work with your box?

That's what I use to change channel on a V6 box from another room.
Works with the standard Tivo as well.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 09:07   #10
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

HDCP was a problem for me, because my second TV was only 1.4 (As I was going through my AV Receiver). I got a device that converts from 2.2 to 1.4 which did the job, you'll also need a splitter. If you main is 4K, and the second TV is 1080p, then both screens will only show 1080p, the only way round this is to use a downscaler, which can be expensive. If your not using an AV Receiver or 4k/hdcp 2.2 TV it shouldn't be a problem.

Splitters

This one works based on the edid of the TV that is on/connected, so you could use the switch on it, if you wanted 4k.

A cheaper option is this one

Or you could use a manual switch like this one this acts a passthrough, but you can only watch one TV at a time, this should resolve any hdcp issues, as it will only see one TV at a time.

I have all of these devices, as my system is fairly complex and I've spent alot of time getting it to work correctly.

HDMI over cat6 is another interesting topic.

I used these to extend my hdmi 10m, they worked fine until I added the AV Receiver, and also include the ir so the remote can be used.

However, I needed something more reliable, that worked with 4k, and an AV Receiver, so I ended up going with a HDBaseT option, which stopped the cutting out issues I was getting.

Note, for both of these I was using a straight through cable, and have not tried these through wall plates, as I don't currently have any installed, but from what I have read, wall plates could be an issue for hdmi extenders.

Last edited by videodj; 24-07-2017 at 09:14.
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 09:25   #11
UnStable
cf.member

UnStable is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an old style Tivo and V6 in a cupboard and use these to send the signal over wired Cat6 (with wall plates) to other rooms. They also have a built in IR blaster so you can use the remotes and HDCP support.
UnStable is offline   Reply With Quote