Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub running a 5Ghz wireless, second router running at 2.4Ghz wireless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub running a 5Ghz wireless, second router running at 2.4Ghz wireless

Old 30-12-2011, 14:36   #1
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough
Question Superhub running a 5Ghz wireless, second router running at 2.4Ghz wireless

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a new mobile phone that will allow connection to WiFi.

I currently have the virgin media superhub on 5Ghz, if the mobile phone doesn't work on 5Ghz, but need 2.4Ghz, I was thinking about connecting a router into the Superhub and connection to that on 2.4Ghz.

The reason I am using 5Ghz on the superhub is I get a better wireless speed and connection where I live.

Now this is what I am thinking

Superhub (normal mode)
|
|-(Port 1) PC (wired)
|-(Port 2) PC (wired)
|-(Port 3) Xbox 360 (wired)
|-(Wireless 5Ghz) PC

Now if I was to connect a router into Port 4 on the Superhub and have it work with the mobile phone on 2.4Ghz wireless.

Now my problem is don't know much about networking.

How would I setup the second router on port 4, I mean would I turn off dhcp, leave it on what or put it on another network IP ie 192.168.1.1 with dhcp?

How would the wireless work on the 2nd router, would I need dhcp on the 2nd router?

Any ideas how I would set this up?

The superhub is running on 192.168.0.X router ip 192.168.0.1

Thanks
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-12-2011, 14:43   #2
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Superhub running a 5Ghz wireless, second router running at 2.4Ghz wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Gaz View Post
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a new mobile phone that will allow connection to WiFi.

I currently have the virgin media superhub on 5Ghz, if the mobile phone doesn't work on 5Ghz, but need 2.4Ghz, I was thinking about connecting a router into the Superhub and connection to that on 2.4Ghz.

The reason I am using 5Ghz on the superhub is I get a better wireless speed and connection where I live.

Now this is what I am thinking

Superhub (normal mode)
|
|-(Port 1) PC (wired)
|-(Port 2) PC (wired)
|-(Port 3) Xbox 360 (wired)
|-(Wireless 5Ghz) PC

Now if I was to connect a router into Port 4 on the Superhub and have it work with the mobile phone on 2.4Ghz wireless.

Now my problem is don't know much about networking.

How would I setup the second router on port 4, I mean would I turn off dhcp, leave it on what or put it on another network IP ie 192.168.1.1 with dhcp?

How would the wireless work on the 2nd router, would I need dhcp on the 2nd router?

Any ideas how I would set this up?

The superhub is running on 192.168.0.X router ip 192.168.0.1

Thanks
It depends if you want the phone to be able to access the Other devices on your network.
If you don't then just plug the new router into port 4 on the SH and into the WAN/Internet port on the new router and that's it. (Fairly sure you dont even have to change the IP of the 2nd router in this config but even if you do something like 192.168.11.1 would do the trick).
Alternately if you want the mobile to be able to access other devices on the network for things like media streaming then still connect through port 4 of the SH but plug the connection into one of the peer ports on the router and not the WAN/Internet port and Disable DHCP. This will basicly turn your router into a port replicator with its own wireless ID.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 17:09   #3
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, just want it to connect to the net.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

Thanks again, got it setup and working, on my laptop wireless.
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 19:07   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

I think the samsung galaxy s2 can run 5ghz
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 22:16   #5
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I think the samsung galaxy s2 can run 5ghz
I thought the Nexus was the First phone to run 5GHz? First android at least?
Old 30-12-2011, 22:30   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

No my s2 picks it up, just tried just now, working fine
Old 30-12-2011, 23:08   #7
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
No my s2 picks it up, just tried just now, working fine
So it does, just looked it up now. Though as per usual with the varying standards of 802.11n there seems to be a compatibility issue with some routers.
Old 31-12-2011, 07:21   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

If i ever go back to the superhub, li can now run 5ghz, my ipad, pc and phone all see it
Old 31-12-2011, 12:48   #9
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
If i ever go back to the superhub, li can now run 5ghz, my ipad, pc and phone all see it
Hmmm....I tried this out.

I found that 300mbps worked and I could achieve LAN transfer speeds around 80mbps over wireless I also found browsing seemed more responsive.

Unfortunately, although I can find no other 5ghz networks in my vicinity, my superhub still randomly rebooted every couple of hours or so.

If you are stubborn and can put up with the rebooting this set up would appear, IMO, to be the best way to use this unfortunate device.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 15:35   #10
jb66
cf.mega poster

Ill stick to the dlink
Old 31-12-2011, 17:37   #11
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Ill stick to the dlink
The wisest choice by far.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote