Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 05-09-2015, 17:11   #1336
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Question Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Help please.

Windows 10 64 bit Pro.

How can I set IrfanView to be my default application for jpeg?

Ken
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2015, 17:40   #1337
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Have you tried Settings -> System -> Default apps -> Choose default applications by file type?
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 17:42   #1338
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Help please.

Windows 10 64 bit Pro.

How can I set IrfanView to be my default application for jpeg?

Ken
Same as other versions of windows i guess, Right click on the picture then select 'Open with' 'Choose another App' and hopefully it'll appear in the list.

Or the other way, Settings/System/Default apps.
Old 05-09-2015, 17:46   #1339
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Settings/System/Default Apps/choose default apps by file type, scroll down the very long list to jpg, click on Photos then select Irfanview, you may want to do it for jpg and jpeg files.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 18:49   #1340
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
Settings/System/Default Apps/choose default apps by file type, scroll down the very long list to jpg, click on Photos then select Irfanview, you may want to do it for jpg and jpeg files.
Thank you
Old 06-09-2015, 07:43   #1341
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
That is what i found on my laptop.
Do you use AVG Tune Up? (Used to be called Tuneuputilities) Yesterday, this made more difference to speed after upgrade to Windows 10 than anything. I'm sure there's plenty other apps that will do the same job, but Tune Up has served me well for years.

The clean upgrade is anything but. It is a messy process with lots of remnants of apps it was supposed to have deleted. It only seems to delete apps in Program Files and Program files(86) and without systematically deleting registry entries. For instance, I found registry entries for Disk Keeper, (Condusiv Technologies), in the registry when it had been removed at upgrade. Also my copy of Python, installed in the root drive, was left untouched!

Having done a clean install, wiping out all my old apps, I was reluctant, initially, to run any more start up applications for fear of reducing speed. However Tune Up has sorted out numerous issues such as clutter, irrelevant registry entries, orphaned links etc. This has transformed my system. Everything runs faster, it can multitask reliably and shutdown and start up are significantly quicker. Whereas the processor idled at around 15% it now idles at 2%.

I plan to use this PC as a media server, running Plex, (Not the crappy Windows 10 app, but the proper Plex server) , but it failed to stream smoothly if at all. Now it dishes out every film without any issues.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:41   #1342
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

No dont use it, have done in the dark ages though.

I will put an SSD in it as this hard disk is well knackered.

Glad you saw improvement though.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:21   #1343
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
No dont use it, have done in the dark ages though.

I will put an SSD in it as this hard disk is well knackered.

Glad you saw improvement though.
SSD? WTG! They make a real difference. Remember, that they should not be defragged.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:58   #1344
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Been using 1 for years in the desktop they make a huge difference.
Old 06-09-2015, 13:14   #1345
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Have changed my default browser by Settings, System, Default Apps but every time I click a link, I get a window asking "How do you want to open this?" With my new browser highlighted and a box Always use this app which I tick but next time the biz appears again.

Is this an MS con to try and make us use Edge or is there a way around it?
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 13:32   #1346
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Have changed my default browser by Settings, System, Default Apps but every time I click a link, I get a window asking "How do you want to open this?" With my new browser highlighted and a box Always use this app which I tick but next time the biz appears again.

Is this an MS con to try and make us use Edge or is there a way around it?
You can change it by selecting Settings / System / Default apps / scroll down and select Web Browser and select Internet Explorer
Old 06-09-2015, 16:26   #1347
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Has anyone managed to disable the ribbon explorer? I find it annoying.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 16:28   #1348
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
Has anyone managed to disable the ribbon explorer? I find it annoying.
You can hide it with the hide button if you don't like it.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:00   #1349
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
You can change it by selecting Settings / System / Default apps / scroll down and select Web Browser and select Internet Explorer
That's what I did but as I said in my original post, every time I click a link I get a window asking if I still want to use the new browser, there's a box to tick to use this app every time but the window keeps on appearing
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:41   #1350
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Finally got fed up with windows refusing to go near the edge of the screen so googled the problem and now windows are nicely lined up at the edge of the screen.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote