Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Football : Season 08/09

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Football : Season 08/09
Closed Thread

Old 20-04-2009, 16:01   #1336
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Re: Football : Season 08/09

Were people criticising Fergie for playing Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Giggs, Neville etc when they were young and coming up from the reserves? He played a team that was good enough to win yesterday and nearly did if it wasn't for a poor refereeing decision, i fail to see how thats disrespectful, fielding a team thats played in most rounds of the FA cup and won the League cup. If squad rotation and giving young players a chance is disrespectful and breaks the rules so be it, but in my opinion it isn't.
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2009, 16:07   #1337
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK View Post
Were people criticising Fergie for playing Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Giggs, Neville etc when they were young and coming up from the reserves? He played a team that was good enough to win yesterday and nearly did if it wasn't for a poor refereeing decision, i fail to see how thats disrespectful, fielding a team thats played in most rounds of the FA cup and won the League cup. If squad rotation and giving young players a chance is disrespectful and breaks the rules so be it, but in my opinion it isn't.
People were criticising Fergie back then too. Remember Hansen's quote "You'll never win anything with kids". League and Cup double that season and a fair bit of silverware with the odd kid thrown in since....... and plenty of criticism each time they don't win.
Old 20-04-2009, 16:13   #1338
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK View Post
I'm sorry, but the FA make the rules of the FA cup not Ferguson, nor yourself. Its in black and white:

Quote:
15. PROVISIONS CONCERNING PLAYERS
(a) Each team participating in a match shall represent the full available strength of each
competing Club.
http://www.thefa.com/~/media/1E9E2DE...up%20Rules.pdf

So what you think is or isn't disrespectful is completely irrelevant. Playing two youths when you have a £30m striker on the bench (not even naming Rooney or Ronaldo), is quite obviously a breach of that law.

The fact that he criticised Redknapp for wanting to do the same thing as Ferguson actually did just re-enforces the fact that he's a hypocrite. Redknapp wanted to prevent his players from aggravating existing injuries from the prior game when we were in a relegation battle. That is a far more pressing reason than Ferguson not liking the pitch. Yet still Ferguson dived behind the rule book when it suited him. He forced Redknapp to play an unfit squad just so he can't be seen to be breaching the rule.

As for your claim about youth players, well that's what the Premier League, League Cup, reserve games, etc is for. If Man Utd don't want to abide by the rules they should just quit the FA Cup for good. They've done it before after all.
Old 20-04-2009, 16:27   #1339
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky View Post
I'm sorry, but the FA make the rules of the FA cup not Ferguson, nor yourself. Its in black and white:

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/1E9E2DE...up%20Rules.pdf

So what you think is or isn't disrespectful is completely irrelevant. Playing two youths when you have a £30m striker on the bench (not even naming Rooney or Ronaldo), is quite obviously a breach of that law.

The fact that he criticised Redknapp for wanting to do the same thing as Ferguson actually did just re-enforces the fact that he's a hypocrite. Redknapp wanted to prevent his players from aggravating existing injuries from the prior game when we were in a relegation battle. That is a far more pressing reason than Ferguson not liking the pitch. Yet still Ferguson dived behind the rule book when it suited him. He forced Redknapp to play an unfit squad just so he can't be seen to be breaching the rule.

As for your claim about youth players, well that's what the Premier League, League Cup, reserve games, etc is for. If Man Utd don't want to abide by the rules they should just quit the FA Cup for good. They've done it before after all.
plenty of other teams to the same though. Teams like Bolton and Blackburn make no secret of the fact they want to get knocked out and concentrate on the league.

Wenger fields kids all the time and he has Adebayour and Fabregas available and they are 30m each.

Until the prize fund for the FA Cup matches the league or European Cup then teams won't treat it the same
Old 20-04-2009, 16:31   #1340
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

If SAF has broken the rules I'm sure the FA would have acted by now.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 20-04-2009, 16:34   #1341
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/1E9E2DE92EC8404D97FA1932B4724F94.ashx/FA%20Cup%20Rules.pdf

I honestly don't remember Ferguson saying that about Redknapp, do you have a link?

Well if they are the rules we broke them, but so has nearly every other premier league club, probably every season they've participated in the the FA cup. I wonder why the FA don't do something about it? Probably because they realise the FA cup is not as important as the league and Champions league and is used by big clubs to help progress younger players.
Old 20-04-2009, 16:39   #1342
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

There's to many rules in football now. There's to many complaints in footballs now. Theres to many silly dives and fouls in football now. I feel that alot of footballers and managers and officials etc etc are losing sight of what football is all about and thats love of the game. These days its to much looking for anyway to exploit a rule or anything to blame. The newpapers dont help either with there stupid headlines getting people wound up.

Dont get me wrong football is also about the good debate between fans but I feel as its going to far at times
Old 20-04-2009, 16:43   #1343
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Yeah Fergie really got stuck into Redknapp about that

Quote:
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has backed the Spurs boss and said he understands why Redknapp might be forced to shuffle his squad.

"It is not a reflection on the FA Cup at all," Ferguson said.

"Harry was speaking, in the emotion of a game, of what I am sure is a concern. He has some genuine injuries and is concerned about Tuesday night against Stoke.

"At the moment they are down there along with three or four others on 21 points - in that situation you have to protect your club."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...up/7847754.stm
Old 20-04-2009, 16:48   #1344
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post

I thought that might be the case, but things like that don't stop the anti United brigade
Old 20-04-2009, 16:56   #1345
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post

oooo good find

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 20-04-2009, 18:27   #1346
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Fair enough I was wrong about Ferguson being a hypocrite over the team selection issue. I'm sure you 3 will have a good laugh in your rep comments about it.

And i'm not anti-United. I'm not even anti-Ferguson. But when I believe he's in the wrong, i'll say so. If I make a genuine mistake, i'll admit it.
Old 20-04-2009, 18:38   #1347
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Fair enough I was wrong about Ferguson being a hypocrite over the team selection issue. I'm sure you 3 will have a good laugh in your rep comments about it.
Paranoia rules OK?

SAF has not done anything that other managers don't do, the difference being he's one of the highest profile bosses so when he says something more people are likely to respond to it. All day across the web I've seen comments from people having a laugh at SAF for "blaming the pitch for United losing" when he's done nothing of the sort.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 20-04-2009, 20:05   #1348
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

is a little something that made Ferguson jump.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmP6PpWNwOE
Old 21-04-2009, 18:31   #1349
yesman

I am hoping the Arsenal will do us a favour tonight and beat Liverpool, but it seems that Arsenal will be fielding an under strength side. Oh well.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/8000555.stm

Come on Arsenal.

I can't believe I said that

Old 21-04-2009, 18:36   #1350
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman View Post
I am hoping the Arsenal will do us a favour tonight and beat Liverpool, but it seems that Arsenal will be fielding an under strength side. Oh well.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/8000555.stm

Come on Arsenal.

I can't believe I said that
So Arsenal are fielding an understrength side in a league match, I could never imagine any other team doing such a thing.

Oh I nearly forgot Manchester United did it on Sunday in the FA Cup Final and lost[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Closed Thread