Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 02-09-2015, 11:32   #1321
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l upgraded Google Chrome and never had a problem SnoopZ.
Are you on Windows 10? i managed to get it working again using the latest dev version i may drop down again and see what happens.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:41   #1322
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
This may not be a Windows 10 thing, but I have just upgraded Google Chrome(32bit) and now I cant even open it without it crashing, has anyone else tried yet?
try uninstall reinstall and if you if your using a 64 bit machine try 64 bit chrome
Dave42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:55   #1323
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
try uninstall reinstall and if you if your using a 64 bit machine try 64 bit chrome
Already tried that, using the 64bit dev version now though without issue, may try the 64bit stable tomorrow as off to work soon.

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

The issue is with Comodo Firewall and Chrome so won't bring it up in the Windows 10 thread.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:09   #1324
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Are you on Windows 10? i managed to get it working again using the latest dev version i may drop down again and see what happens.
Yes l am on Windows 10.
Old 02-09-2015, 14:00   #1325
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
This may not be a Windows 10 thing, but I have just upgraded Google Chrome(32bit) and now I cant even open it without it crashing, has anyone else tried yet?
Which version of 10 are you on? There was a problem with the Insider previews where Chrome 64bit would crash
Old 02-09-2015, 16:55   #1326
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Which version of 10 are you on? There was a problem with the Insider previews where Chrome 64bit would crash
The latest version, loads of people have the issue from a google, not really win 10 related i dont think.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:52   #1327
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Yesterday I had success in converting an old dual core Windows 7 PC to W10. To do this I did all the usual things, removing unnecessary drives, cards and drivers, but I also had to replace the processor with one that had NX support. This went smoothly apart from a whole hour trying to lock down the fan on top of the processor. INTEL motherboards are an absolute pig in that respect.

W10 runs quite well on a low spec machine, better than Windows 7, but I just have to be careful not to give it too much to do. Incidentally, Nvidia have now brought out Windows 10 drivers. Installing those after my main conversion task made a real difference to the crispness of the system.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:05   #1328
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I am actually pretty surprised how easy MS have made it for people to upgrade to Windows 10 even if they're not running a legal copy of Windows 7 or 8 and for that machine to be classed as then running a legit copy of Windows 10.

Checked my laptop HDD out using speedfan and it is basically telling me it is knackered and needs replacing so i will through a 240GB SSD in there to breath new life into the laptop!

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Yesterday I had success in converting an old dual core Windows 7 PC to W10. To do this I did all the usual things, removing unnecessary drives, cards and drivers, but I also had to replace the processor with one that had NX support. This went smoothly apart from a whole hour trying to lock down the fan on top of the processor. INTEL motherboards are an absolute pig in that respect.

W10 runs quite well on a low spec machine, better than Windows 7, but I just have to be careful not to give it too much to do. Incidentally, Nvidia have now brought out Windows 10 drivers. Installing those after my main conversion task made a real difference to the crispness of the system.
If you remove the blurring on the theme that may improve it further.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:00   #1329
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I am actually pretty surprised how easy MS have made it for people to upgrade to Windows 10 even if they're not running a legal copy of Windows 7 or 8 and for that machine to be classed as then running a legit copy of Windows 10.

Checked my laptop HDD out using speedfan and it is basically telling me it is knackered and needs replacing so i will through a 240GB SSD in there to breath new life into the laptop!

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

Yeah an SSD does make a great difference. I have one on the machine I just upgraded to W10.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:35   #1330
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
INTEL motherboards are an absolute pig in that respect.
Intel motherboards and Intel stock coolers are the easiest in the world to put on these days. You must have a very very old design.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 14:00   #1331
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Is there a straightforward way to organise favourites in Edge so they'll be in alphabetical order?

MS has given us that at least right?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 15:05   #1332
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Not been able to do it so far..I've now given up using it because I can't find a way to block ads..
Old 05-09-2015, 15:57   #1333
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Edge is still in development and i too am waiting to be able to block ads before i use it.
Old 05-09-2015, 16:41   #1334
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Intel motherboards and Intel stock coolers are the easiest in the world to put on these days. You must have a very very old design.
Yeah! Circa 2006. It's that sort of board where the fan is held down by 4 cam-shaped thumb screws, one in each corner, which twist into a lock position. I got blisters on my fingers! They weren't designed to upgrade easily.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Quote:
I pretty well removed most all of the optional effects. I notice that application windows have become easier to move without lagginess.
Old 05-09-2015, 16:42   #1335
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Yeah! Circa 2006. It's that sort of board where the fan is held down by 4 cam-shaped thumb screws, one in each corner, which twist into a lock position. I got blisters on my fingers! They weren't designed to upgrade easily.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

I pretty well removed most all of the optional effects. I notice that application windows have become easier to move without lagginess.
That is what i found on my laptop.