Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The London 2012 Olympics: Sports discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The London 2012 Olympics: Sports discussion

Old 01-08-2012, 14:50   #91
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: The London 2012 Olympics: Sports discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
I don't consider it cheating, although what they did was rather blatant. There's plenty examples of athletes who don't perform at their best in races that don't matter too much in order to avoid showing the opposition how strong they really are. Are they cheats as well?

Is a football team that rests players for less important matches cheating?

I think you're better off thinking of a format where losing doesn't help.
But dan they cheated themselves and they cheated the crowd who paid all that money only for them to do that and perhaps cheating is a strong word but l can't think of any other word to describe it.
Old 01-08-2012, 15:15   #92
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But dan they cheated themselves and they cheated the crowd who paid all that money only for them to do that and perhaps cheating is a strong word but l can't think of any other word to describe it.
I agree that it must have been a shambles for the crowd that paid good money to watch some quality sports, but I don't think the outcome makes for the best spectacle either. Presumably, 4 other couples that were beaten will now be reinstated. So the crowds will be looking at poorer couples in the quarters now.The alternative is to scrap two quarter finals. Hardly a crowd pleaser either.

I do think it was a blatant attempt to affect the results, but I don't think it's that different from a football team that rests key players, or decides that coming second in the group gives you a more favourable opponent, so they don't give it their all. It's not pretty, but it does happen. Perhaps not as blatantly as in this case, but it does happen. Personaly, I think a stern warning would have been the better option here.

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Amazing to see these crowds on a British road for the time trial
Old 01-08-2012, 15:18   #93
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don't consider it cheating, although what they did was rather blatant. There's plenty examples of athletes who don't perform at their best in races that don't matter too much in order to avoid showing the opposition how strong they really are. Are they cheats as well?

Is a football team that rests players for less important matches cheating?

I think you're better off thinking of a format where losing doesn't help.
There is a difference between resting or taking your foot off the gas to absolutely blatant attempts to lose.

I’d would say it was more like a football team deliberately and repeatedly scoring own goals.

Yes it was an error to have the format of the competition to put players in a position where losing was beneficial for them but I do think they deserved to be disqualified.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 15:26   #94
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzae View Post
There is a difference between resting or taking your foot off the gas to absolutely blatant attempts to lose.

I’d would say it was more like a football team deliberately and repeatedly scoring own goals.

Yes it was an error to have the format of the competition to put players in a position where losing was beneficial for them but I do think they deserved to be disqualified.
Nice analogy

I can see your side of the argument, but I don't think that taking potential champions out is the right solution either. I'd be looking at a different format for the tournament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Ge...A_World_Cup%29
Old 01-08-2012, 15:46   #95
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Come on Wiggins!
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 15:46   #96
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
True, but the question also is if we're now seeing the best Athletes competing for the medals. Not having the best Athletes isn't exactly in the Olympic spirit either is it?
Well sorry that's not the point..It's about competing and if the result is that the best are disqualified for cheating too damned bad..they have broken the oath.
Old 01-08-2012, 15:52   #97
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Well sorry that's not the point..It's about competing and if the result is that the best are disqualified for cheating too damned bad..they have broken the oath.
Look, they didn't cheat. They'd already qualified. No-one (except the crowd) lost out because of what they did. And don't give me that rubbish about the oath. Nobody cares about that. They tried to get the best result they could, and the format encouraged them to lose.
Old 01-08-2012, 15:58   #98
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Look, they didn't cheat. They'd already qualified. No-one (except the crowd) lost out because of what they did. And don't give me that rubbish about the oath. Nobody cares about that. They tried to get the best result they could, and the format encouraged them to lose.
I think you will find that they do.Which is why the disqualification.
Old 01-08-2012, 15:59   #99
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

GOLD!!!!

Arise Sir Bradley Wiggins!
Old 01-08-2012, 16:01   #100
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
GOLD!!!!

Arise Sir Bradley Wiggins!
Brilliant.
Old 01-08-2012, 16:04   #101
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I think you will find that they do.Which is why the disqualification.
No. They were thrown out for breaking the players' code of the World Badminton Federation.

Quote:
Officials from the Badminton World Federation, the sport’s governing body, determined that the four sets of women violated the Players’ Code of Conduct, Sections 4.5 and 4.6, for “not using one’s best efforts to win a match” and “conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport.”
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012...ified-olympics

The IOC or the Olympic oath didn't come into it. The WBF threw them out.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Well done Wiggo!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 16:06   #102
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Britain's greatest sportsman?
Old 01-08-2012, 16:15   #103
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

If I have done my calculations correctly. This puts us in 10th place on the Medals table.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 16:22   #104
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
If I have done my calculations correctly. This puts us in 10th place on the Medals table.
You have indeed.

LINKY
Old 01-08-2012, 16:24   #105
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Britain's greatest sportsman?
Definitely Britains coolest sportsman
Shadow Demon UK is offline   Reply With Quote