Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 11:58   #661
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Hopefully it will stay like it is now as Gabe says, but we can't see several years into the future.

They will still make money from new pcs with Windows oem on it and businesses, which is where they got most of their money from anyway i think.
Old 08-06-2015, 13:47   #662
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Hopefully it will stay like it is now as Gabe says, but we can't see several years into the future.

They will still make money from new pcs with Windows oem on it and businesses, which is where they got most of their money from anyway i think.
Firstly businesses will have to upgrade some will some wont those that do will only ever need to buy one more licence and have upgrades forever. Office365 is already subscription as lets face it Office has not changed that much in 12 years so why would business need to update that? I just can not see it as sustainable myself
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 15:31   #663
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Remember MS also have the Xbox and make a lot of money from that. Lumia smartphones.

So really Windows is just a little thing in their world.
Old 08-06-2015, 15:42   #664
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Most bigger companies will routinely replace hardware from a support and standardisation point of view. Standard deployment images etc.

Anyone know what the breakdown on profit between Windows and Office? Office will not be free for most companies.

Also any ideas on the cost of windows in a virtualized environment?

J
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 16:23   #665
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhook View Post
I hope you and Dave are right but the future is a long time my opinion is it will be short lived
I'd rather believe the opinion of a Microsoft product manager over yours.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

Quote:
Firstly businesses will have to upgrade some will some wont those that do will only ever need to buy one more licence and have upgrades forever.
Business will NOT be able to buy one license and have upgrades forever. They will have to pay for a new copy of Windows every time they buy a new computer.

Quote:
Office365 is already subscription as lets face it Office has not changed that much in 12 years so why would business need to update that? I just can not see it as sustainable myself
Same reason that Windows XP hasn't changed much in 12 years yet businesses had to update it.

And how many business do you know that use 12 year old desktop PCs for their day-to-day office work?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Quote:
Correct.

Any amount of money they may lose by giving away upgrades for free to existing users is minuscule in comparison to the number of paid-for new copies that will be sold during that time.

Only a tiny minority of people would ever have purchased a new copy of Windows to upgrade an existing machine.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 00:49   #666
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I'd rather believe the opinion of a Microsoft product manager over yours.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

Business will NOT be able to buy one license and have upgrades forever. They will have to pay for a new copy of Windows every time they buy a new computer.

Same reason that Windows XP hasn't changed much in 12 years yet businesses had to update it.

And how many business do you know that use 12 year old desktop PCs for their day-to-day office work?

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------

Correct.

Any amount of money they may lose by giving away upgrades for free to existing users is minuscule in comparison to the number of paid-for new copies that will be sold during that time.

Only a tiny minority of people would ever have purchased a new copy of Windows to upgrade an existing machine.
I am not asking anyone to believe my opinion just posting what it is. Thought this was a discussion board am I mistaken?

---------- Post added at 00:49 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Quote:
I hope they don't try and go down the Office 365 route.
Quote:
They will.
Quote:
It's more like, pay every year for the additional features and updates you get every year. I suppose it's not a full subscription service but they have said it'll be somewhat subscription based/SaaS.

Far as I'm aware, you lose updates if you unsubscribe, Windows keeps working, same as what happens if you upgrade an unlicensed copy.

hmmmmm less than a month ago you had the same opinion funny that ba dum dum tush
Old 09-06-2015, 02:18   #667
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
It looks pretty good to me, and Cortana is now active in the UK (Without region changing malarky).

The new sign in screen looks like an improvement too. Will test properly over the weekend. I wouldn't say it's a "Main OS" worthy build yet because features are still changing with each build.
Can an image be set for the sign in screen?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:42   #668
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
hmmmmm less than a month ago you had the same opinion funny that ba dum dum tush
You're claiming businesses can buy consumer licenses when they cannot.

Windows SA, EES and Academic schemes have have always been subscription based.
Old 09-06-2015, 22:46   #669
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
You're claiming businesses can buy consumer licenses when they cannot.

Windows SA, EES and Academic schemes have have always been subscription based.
No I do not

Pro and Enterprise are targeted to businesses . Pro is also been given to consumers who grade from windows 8 pro some like myself who only paid 14.99 for it
Old 10-06-2015, 22:52   #670
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I am not asking anyone to believe my opinion just posting what it is. Thought this was a discussion board am I mistaken?
Some people don't like the art of discussion, some people think they know all and allow their egos to run rampant on forums like this. Just saying!
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 22:52   #671
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Is there anywhere that people can suggest things they would like to see in windows 10 without being one of the beta testers.

What i would like to see is a feature where u can choose what program to use to open videos in different folders. For example i could have 2 folders with MP4 but want to open the videos within the folders using different programs.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 02:19   #672
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

according to here you keep your old license for windows 7 or 8.1 when upgrading to windows 10 good news first answer

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2-7a2ca891dc16
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 07:44   #673
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
For example i could have 2 folders with MP4 but want to open the videos within the folders using different programs.
I don't think there is a way to do that by default - file associations are set at a system level not by a folder.

However if you've got each program pinned to the taskbar you can select the file you want to open, hold down the 'Shift' key and then drag it onto the appropriate program's icon. This should then open it with that program (with a tool tip that says as such)
Old 16-06-2015, 09:43   #674
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

When 10 is GA, is it wise to jump straight in or wait a (short?) while for any gremlins to be ironed out?

Also, is there any consensus on whether Win 10 is appreciably slower (on the same hardware) that 7 or 8.1? I have an old PC (Dell XPS Studio 8100 i5 8GB SSD GTX750Ti) and wondered if it would noticably slow down if it was upgraded (from 7 to 10) ..
Old 16-06-2015, 10:07   #675
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
When 10 is GA, is it wise to jump straight in or wait a (short?) while for any gremlins to be ironed out?
Depends how important stability is for you. Windows 10 is already far more stable than pre-XP Windows versions as it is.

Quote:
Also, is there any consensus on whether Win 10 is appreciably slower (on the same hardware) that 7 or 8.1? I have an old PC (Dell XPS Studio 8100 i5 8GB SSD GTX750Ti) and wondered if it would noticably slow down if it was upgraded (from 7 to 10) ..
Not as far as I can tell. For games (at least those using DX12) it should be appreciably faster.