Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 08-04-2013, 19:06   #3571
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

TBB responds to the router not the modem.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2013, 19:31   #3572
pcoventry
Permanently Banned

pcoventry is infamous around these partspcoventry is infamous around these parts

so the superhub? ah i see.

Mines still sat here turned off so I guess someone else has that IP address now. They won't be able to set up their own monitor I don't think whilst I do and I am keeping mine for research purposes.
pcoventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 20:05   #3573
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...8-04-2013.html

Is this good or bad ? VM SH
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 20:26   #3574
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Fairly normal for a circuit that doesn't yet have two upstream channels at the Superhub.

Does that fit your situation? And what's wrong anyway?

Old 08-04-2013, 22:20   #3575
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoventry View Post
They won't be able to set up their own monitor I don't think whilst I do
Yes they will
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 23:07   #3576
pcoventry
Permanently Banned

pcoventry is infamous around these partspcoventry is infamous around these parts

Fair enough. It's never let me when I have tried on another machine on the same IP address.

It's not affecting them if I keep it going then
pcoventry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:29   #3577
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Sephiroth for your reply

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...8-04-2013.html

Just wanted your expert opinion as to whether everything was looking ok.
Not really had a problem other that terrible buffering on TV Anwhrere (watching live channels) VM are fixing this over utilisation problem after I reported it Back in January (although they could,t explain why every other on demand player was working perfectly I.E Skygo, BBC iplayer etc)
Old 09-04-2013, 13:02   #3578
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Ah - TV Anywhere .... that depends on how you're watching it. For example iPAD (or laptop) over Wi-Fi; wireless is a Devil's science; and whether you are in rouer mode or modem mode.

Old 09-04-2013, 19:24   #3579
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Fairly normal for a circuit that doesn't yet have two upstream channels at the Superhub.

Does that fit your situation? And what's wrong anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Ah - TV Anywhere .... that depends on how you're watching it. For example iPAD (or laptop) over Wi-Fi; wireless is a Devil's science; and whether you are in rouer mode or modem mode.
I tried always.
Wired, wirelsess, all in router mode. Different times of day. Different channels.
All on my Macbook. Still the same result.
Old 09-04-2013, 20:11   #3580
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

[

This was your graph. The bit that matters is the blue - the average latency. By comparison with some/many of the horrors we see on the forums, this is a reasonable graph. Is it still like that?

Have you tried working in modem mode? If it's not external (congestion) then it could be the SH router tying itself in knots as has been reported (with more radical symptoms) in THenry's Crawley thread and in Ravenstar's thread in the VM forums.

Old 09-04-2013, 21:19   #3581
jamonymo
Inactive

Services: 100mb virgin media tivo
jamonymo is an unknown quantity at this point

yes you are right too many vm custemers on even shitter lines , just like i was last year my blue average was very high the graph was full of color

the jitters are bad also 3 moths ago it was perfect and only just been fixed for H.U, i can see its slowly going back to crap,

also max latency does matter its not as important
2 upstream channels will properly be the only thing to ever fix it

this is today i am getting random packet loss

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...9-04-2013.html
jamonymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 21:36   #3582
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamonymo View Post
If you compare your graph (average) with KHenry's, there's not a lot of difference in the main except for the packet loss during the night.

But rhe packet loss would be a worry. It is often due to upstream noise, which isn't reported in the SH. Is there anything in your stats (like varying upstream power levels) that might indicate something out of whack?

Old 11-04-2013, 17:20   #3583
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

VM have had to remove traffic from some more Peering links because they were not working correctly for Sony provided content from multi different CDNs.
So will this increase ping times on other links during heavy traffic hours...
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 17:58   #3584
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Not sure where that info came from but its not like virgin media to have peering or CDN problems.....ohh... wait a minute...!
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 19:43   #3585
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

thenry is offline   Reply With Quote