Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Xbox One Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Microsoft Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Xbox One Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 12:04   #301
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: The Xbox One Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Yes if MS got rid of the restrictions and the games quality was as good as the PS4 if there was a difference, then i would get an X1.

However i can't see them doing that.
Yeah all things being equal I would stick with what I know. I never took to the PS3 is this generation, didn't like the menus or the controller. I could even deal with the price being higher but not the restrictions as well. If I have a disc I should be able to play the game, I don't want to worry about activations, fees, friends list or any of that stuff.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2013, 14:01   #302
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Regarding publishers preferring the Xbox One because of the DRM... If both consoles cost the same, then maybe.

But what will really matter to them is how big each install base is...and given the clear difference in price I would expect the PS4 to end up in more homes, which will make it more attractive to the publishers regardless of the lack of MS-style DRM. The DRM issue will also make it more attractive to gamers, adding to the price factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Wondering to myself how many out there will eventually fork out for BOTH?
Me... I did this generation, and I will do for the next one. Each platform has exclusive games I want to play.

Quote:
Has anyone changed their view of which console they want now?
Yup.

I currently have an Xbox One pre-ordered.

When I get home, I'm going to cancel that pre-order and place one for a PS4 instead.

£80 cheaper, more powerful (faster RAM plus double the GPU cores), more games, no always-online restrictions, no game re-sale restrictions, region free for games.

I will get an Xbox One eventually, as e.g. I want to play Halo 5 plus also Titanfall looks interesting... But neither of those games are out this year and there is no way I'm dropping 800 quid on two consoles in one hit.

This will be a reverse of the current generation, where I got a 360 at launch and waited until the PS3 was cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Nope, i still want the Xbox One. Only £36 more than PS4
Not really.

The PS4 does not require the camera, unlike the Xbox One, so you can't really use the price of a PS4+camera to make the gap seem smaller.

PS4 = £349, Xbox One = £429.

Clear difference of £80.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 14:13   #303
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Yeah I don't care about the camera. I don't play those kinds of games anyway and nor do I like speaking to computers.

Also PS4 looks like it will have more indie games on it given their support for them, even having them on stage at E3, compared to MS will seem to be stamping on them.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/22/43...nd-indie-games

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-one-microsoft

Microsoft have to change this.

Quote:
You don't really own those games you bought on disc, even though you're holding them in your hands. You are merely playing them at Microsoft's pleasure, and if Microsoft should revoke its benevolence, then all you have is a set of very expensive coasters.

Tom Bramwell of Eurogamer has called these policies "devastating for consumer rights", adding that Microsoft has "sacrificed our freedom to own and trade games for no other reason than corporate self-interest".
Old 11-06-2013, 14:52   #304
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Why do they need to change it. Hasn't PC spftware and games always been the same. You are paying for a licence to use the product, not actually own it outright.

Why the problems with MS DRM, if you have ever bought from Steam/Origin then its exactly the same situation.

THe always connected thing doesn't bother me at all as my 360 and PS3 are already always online.

The One has a lot more games that interest me too but I will get the PS4 as well due to the exclusives it has.

Also the two consoles don't look all that different really.

If the kinect wasn't required then am sure the console would have been about the same price as the PS4.
Old 11-06-2013, 15:03   #305
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why do they need to change it. Hasn't PC spftware and games always been the same. You are paying for a licence to use the product, not actually own it outright.

Why the problems with MS DRM, if you have ever bought from Steam/Origin then its exactly the same situation.

THe always connected thing doesn't bother me at all as my 360 and PS3 are already always online.

The One has a lot more games that interest me too but I will get the PS4 as well due to the exclusives it has.

Also the two consoles don't look all that different really.

If the kinect wasn't required then am sure the console would have been about the same price as the PS4.
That is well said and my thoughts exactly. I cant understand why people are making a big deal with the DRM thing. Its the same as Stream etc. The conenct to MS once every 24 hours doesnt bother me but i can see why people are upset buy it
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 15:16   #306
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Because this isn't the PC. It's a console. People have always had this mindset with physical media and consoles and you can look at the negative reception it's received to see what people think about it being taken away from them. The simplicity of the disk approach has always been one of the key elements of console gaming over PC. Now they can get it elsewhere and at a cheaper price point too.

Quote:
Yeah but not everyone lives in that kind in environment. Another worry is if your internet is out at the precise moment you want to game or if their servers go down.

Quote:
If Blu-ray wasn't part of the PS3 it would have been cheaper too but it wasn't and the PS3 struggled for years.
Old 11-06-2013, 15:26   #307
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Plus Steam doesn't quite work in the same way. With most titles, once you have activated the game you are free to play it offline without requirement to authenticate on a regular basis. Not sure about Origin. Anyway you aren't just locked down to one digital distribution medium on the PC, there are alternatives and as a result there is competitive pricing if you look hard enough.

Ultimately, Microsoft are driving their strategy down from the boardroom and trying to foist their vision on the gaming community which is never going to be well received.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 15:29   #308
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Plus Steam doesn't quite work in the same way. With most titles, once you have activated the game you are free to play it offline without requirement to authenticate on a regular basis. Not sure about Origin. Anyway you aren't just locked down to one digital distribution medium on the PC, there are alternatives and as a result there is competitive pricing if you look hard enough.

Ultimately, Microsoft are driving their strategy down from the boardroom and trying to foist their vision on the gaming community which is never going to be well received.
Yeah. I mean if both consoles did it we would have to put up with it but they don't so why cut yourself off from the used game market?

So the reason Microsoft need to change it is because they're not competing against Steam. They're competing against Sony.
Old 11-06-2013, 16:01   #309
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The PS4 comes with the 'eye' though doesn't it?

Quote:
It'll be months after release of both consoles before i make up my mind though, to see which 1 has the better quality games, if they have a difference.
Months? I'm looking at a couple of YEARS before I decide which of the new consoles to get.

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 16:03   #310
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I am in two minds..I will decide closer to the time
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 16:20   #311
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
The PS4 comes with the 'eye' though doesn't it?
Nope
Old 11-06-2013, 16:34   #312
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Doesn't the Move part of the controller require the Eye though?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 17:26   #313
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Yeah. I mean if both consoles did it we would have to put up with it but they don't so why cut yourself off from the used game market?

So the reason Microsoft need to change it is because they're not competing against Steam. They're competing against Sony.
But preowned games will still work. Why are people forgetting this....
Old 11-06-2013, 17:54   #314
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
I dont think people want to believe this. I think people want to believe MS have a block on all 2nd hand/pre owened games. I cant get why people hate the DRM. OK so yes it will be only at certian stores you can trade in but over time more and more stores will work with MS so you wil have more stores to go to.

I think in time also the devs will start going across to MS when they see how much more money they can get and how much secure their games will be. It will take time but i believe Xbox One will win the war. Its a marathon not a sprint and Sony will sprint and run out of breathe but MS will pace them selfs and finish first
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 18:37   #315
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
No they can work. That is different. You can't just put a disc into the console and have it book up. You may need to pay an additional charge, it may be blocked at the publishers request, it may be blocked because the orignal owner hasn't been on your friends list for 30 days.

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
I dont think people want to believe this. I think people want to believe MS have a block on all 2nd hand/pre owened games. I cant get why people hate the DRM. OK so yes it will be only at certian stores you can trade in but over time more and more stores will work with MS so you wil have more stores to go to.
People are just going on what Microsoft said. We want what we have now and Sony is offering that.

Quote:
I think in time also the devs will start going across to MS when they see how much more money they can get and how much secure their games will be. It will take time but i believe Xbox One will win the war. Its a marathon not a sprint and Sony will sprint and run out of breathe but MS will pace them selfs and finish first
Developers go where the installed base is. If Sony sell more consoles because of the DRM and the cost then it won't matter. Installed Base = Larger Market.