Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ntl broadband sharing via router trouble

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ntl broadband sharing via router trouble

Old 20-09-2005, 20:43   #16
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: Ntl broadband sharing via router trouble

Ed, yeah I would give your housemates a 3 outta 10 for knowing what they should get. A switch allows 1 computer to go on the net at anytime...never more then that unfortunatly or you have to have a really advanced switch from say Cisco and those come with a nice £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£ tag on them. so my best bet is get a proper router and you'll be up and running within 5 mins if you dont get yourself strangled in the wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Post 6 lol Nice cheap router with a print server there, maybe we should ask for a review if it works for the poster
Paul, I've used it before working for Belkin and I have to say its excellent no problems with it at all, my father in law got this 1 as well and even sharing the printer is a piece of cake.

so for students a well recommended piece of kit as you can just share the 1 printer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edthegr8
1 lawyer

1 bio chemist

2 physios

and

0 routers.

oh dear!!!
shoot the lawyer already...poison the bio's and the physios well use em to your advantage as in getting massages of em... but make sure you arrange the IT stuff... if help needed I think that this forum is the best regarding IT help
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2005, 20:47   #17
edthegr8
Inactive

edthegr8 is an unknown quantity at this point

right, firstly thanks guys for help diagnose a classic case of computer illiteracy,i didnt mention it earlier to avoid complication, but there is talk of a fifth laptop. we either need a router with 8 ports and use 5, or can we get a 4 port with wireless access too, and have the 4 pcs wired along with the laptop wireless.

any suggestions on routers?

thanks for all this help guys, its much appreciated.
edthegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 20:52   #18
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Ed, okay you can get the router and still use the switch just plug the switch on 1 of the 4 lanports or if you really want wireless try this 1 okay I dont know how good it is but looking at the reviews it must be okay.

advice okay Belkin is "okay" (guys please dont castrate me for this) and it comes with a nice lifetime garantee so if its fooked then you can just have it replaced.
Old 20-09-2005, 20:59   #19
edthegr8
Inactive

so if i connect two computers to the switch one of the two can use the internet at any given time, alongside the other three computers that are plugged into their own sockets?

or if i get the suggested router i can have all four wired pcs, and a finite number of wireless machines connected to the net at once?

i take it because we have 2mb bb access, the 22mbps of the router is insignificant?
Old 20-09-2005, 21:05   #20
DocDutch
argh

errr Ed, I edited the link to a better router....the 22mbps is a 801.11B protocol and which is C R A P.

on the wireless router you can have up2 normally 64 pcs but at work we recommend to stop at 32 but even then thats not something that your average home user will have.

the speed of the Wlan is significant in someways say you play games and stuff on the laptop then you need faster.

with regards to the switch your correct in that....only 1 pc can get on the internet at any given time. but then if you connect the switch to the router you can have an infinite number
Old 20-09-2005, 21:30   #21
edthegr8
Inactive

so a 8 port switch connected to a 4 port router in effect creates a 11 port router?

how do the router and switch connect, do we take a cable from the router socket to any of the switches sockets?
Old 20-09-2005, 23:47   #22
zing_deleted

Is this thread and this thread related???http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...358#post582358

The poster here says its a Safecom SBRU-10100 which a quick google tells me its a router???

Might not be related as I spose theres a lot of students moving in this week
Old 21-09-2005, 00:19   #23
edthegr8
Inactive

no not related m8.
Old 21-09-2005, 01:41   #24
whiskieman
Inactive

whiskieman is an unknown quantity at this point

lololol :P

not related.. but related.. i guess i dunno if its only with me.. but that router suggested up there.. is CRAP!!! i definetly wouldn't get that if I had the option. I guess you get what you pay..

my setup is quite similar to yours except we have 5 laptops already which creates the problem that most routers (wireless) only have 4 ports..

anyway, if I can't sort out my problem with the Safecom router, I'll be buying a Linksys WRT54G. Use this router back home and works like a gem! :P
whiskieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 08:53   #25
zing_deleted

Maybe the forum should have a students section for a week or so
Old 21-09-2005, 09:37   #26
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
so a 8 port switch connected to a 4 port router in effect creates a 11 port router?
Yes
Quote:
how do the router and switch connect, do we take a cable from the router socket to any of the switches sockets?
Pretty much. The switch should be intelligent enough to know which IP addresses are on which ports, however it is not capable of giving out IP addresses as it does not have a DHCP server built into it.
The Linksys WRT54G would be the router I would recommend, that will sort out the DHCP issue and also be wireless should you want to switch that on (and you can leave the wireless disabled until you have something that needs to wirelessly connect to it.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 19:10   #27
edthegr8
Inactive

Router and switch

I am still slightly confused. If we connect 3 computers direct to a four port router, with a 8 port switch connected to the routers fourth socket, can we have 5 pcs on the shared internet at once. - 3 directly connected to the router, and 2 connected to the switch.

Or, can only 1/2 pcs connected the switch access the net at once? hence only 4/5 pcs can be on the net at one time?

Sorry if im being stupid.

Ed
Old 21-09-2005, 19:19   #28
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

this link will explain the difference between routers, hubs, & switches

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.co...le.php/3498476

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 00:31   #29
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Router and switch

Quote:
I am still slightly confused. If we connect 3 computers direct to a four port router, with a 8 port switch connected to the routers fourth socket, can we have 5 pcs on the shared internet at once. - 3 directly connected to the router, and 2 connected to the switch.

Or, can only 1/2 pcs connected the switch access the net at once? hence only 4/5 pcs can be on the net at one time?

Ed
No you're right, you could connect an 8 port swich to each of the 4 ports on the router and have 4*7 28 PCs / devices connected to the router. Most routers can handle at least 50 devices. Just without something routing the traffic and handing out specific addresses for each device you are stuck.
A switch can learn where an IP address is in relation to the switch, but cannot create an IP address for a location.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 00:31   #30
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age
Re: Router and switch

Quote:

Ed
You can get routers with different numbers of ports - for instance, the Linksys BEFSR81, which is an 8 port router.
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote