Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New BBC comedy has been deemed offensive to Muslim people

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New BBC comedy has been deemed offensive to Muslim people

Old 30-08-2012, 14:39   #16
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: New BBC comedy has been deemed offensive to Muslim people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vieil Homme View Post
The show, which aired on Monday night, has been accused of 'taking the mickey out of Islam' and was also criticised for portraying a heavily made-up girl wearing a hijab. Link

Personaly I found it quite funny they should get a sense of humour.
When I was watching it on Tuesday I was thinking 'Same idea as Mrs Browns Boys'.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2012, 17:36   #17
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I'll be honest, I have not watched the show (I was busy when it was on), but the trailer made it look a little cliched.

Was it too offensive? I don't know. However, I do know that often to be funny, Comedy needs to overexaggerate things a little. Very few Irish people are like those featured in Father Ted or Mrs Brown's Boys. I suspect very few Torquay Hoteliers are quite like Basil Fawlty. Most Londoners aren't like Delboy, and I don't think anyone is quite as bad as Alf Garnett. The one thing all these characters have in common is that certain traits are exaggerated. With Alf, it's his racism. With the Characters of Father Ted, it's the traits that make them look like Stereotypes.

The point is that none of those characters would be funny without the exaggeration. If you want comedy with minimal exaggeration, look at Terry and June. It probably had one or two laughs, but wasn't (IMO) that funny.

The trouble is, that exaggeration can move the comedy into the offensive territory. A good writer will know just how far to push things.

However, that needs to be balanced against the seemingly increasing number of people who are offended apparently for the sake of being offended.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 18:56   #18
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
You can't be a proper Muslim.
Because I'm white?
Because you're ginger!

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Have you tried using common sense for a change?
Oh, the irony....

You wouldn't recognize commom sense if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Common sense is here again!'"...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 19:41   #19
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

You spelt recognise wrong.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 23:18   #20
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Now I'm certainly no fan of the Daily Mail for their constant "anti-BBC" non-stories, but here's an article by Saira Khan on the show and she seemed to like it.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 23:36   #21
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
According to some people everything they see and hear is offensive.
Yes thats the P.C. dumbing down of the world showing!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 23:43   #22
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Now I'm certainly no fan of the Daily Mail for their constant "anti-BBC" non-stories, but here's an article by Saira Khan on the show and she seemed to like it.
Do they buy bog roll in bulk?

The main focus seems to be on the daughter, the nijab and the koran. and how it is seen as being disrespectful in the way she wants to be who she wants to be but feels forced to wear the uniform and study the book.

is the argument that all Muslim children should wear the uniform and study the book, and not infact feel forced to do so?

if it is, then is the real problem that the truth is being shown and they don't like it?
Old 31-08-2012, 22:33   #23
Vieil Homme
Inactive

Vieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud of

Citizen Khan creator Adil Ray hits back as complaints rise to 700

Quote:
“’Citizen Khan’ is not a Muslim comedy, it is a British family sitcom,” he told BBC Radio Five Live. “It is family comedy with universal themes of hypocrisy, deceit, and relationships that we can all connect to.

LINK
Vieil Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 17:27   #24
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Gary & Carl, I have removed your nonsense.

If you cannot get on with each other, then ignore each other.

If you derail a thread with your petty arguments again I will infract both of you.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 17:44   #25
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

<removed>
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 19:01   #26
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
sums it up really. from publisher to writter. lighten up!
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:27   #27
Gary L
cf.mega poster

I wonder if there will be anything in tomorrows edition that will cause more or the same people to complain.
Old 03-09-2012, 23:12   #28
Gary L
cf.mega poster

I expect from watching it.
it will be pointing the wrong way when praying.
Old 03-09-2012, 23:25   #29
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

or rather lack of translation/auto subtitles.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:10   #30
Vieil Homme
Inactive

Vieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
I expect from watching it.
it will be pointing the wrong way when praying.
According to the Chn 4 prog (THEY) have been facing the wrong way all the time. so she may have been pointing the right way. It was funny again.
Vieil Homme is offline   Reply With Quote