Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sherlock BBC mini series

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sherlock BBC mini series

Old 26-07-2010, 18:48   #16
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Sherlock BBC mini series

i thought it was the best thing to come out of the beeb for a long while .I thought it was interesting putting Sherlock Holmes in modern times with modern technology and seeing how he would use it .Looking forward to the other 2 episodes .

Could it make a full blown series like dr who ? or would it spoil it?
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2010, 18:53   #17
speedfreak
Inactive

Services: VM phone TV 50Mbps BB
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal
speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

I enjoyed it but missed the first 30 mins so no idea if it was slow to get going. Only thing I wasnt that keen on was the text/maps etc popping up on screen. I thought it was good how even though it was modern they seem to have managed to keep it how SH should be. I think the whole "gay" thing was a storm in a tea cup, I found those scenes in the cafe amusing. Looking forward to the next one now and good to have something decent to watch on a sunday night, cant beat Top Gear followed by this on a Sunday, big thumbs up from me
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 19:13   #18
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
i thought it was the best thing to come out of the beeb for a long while .I thought it was interesting putting Sherlock Holmes in modern times with modern technology and seeing how he would use it .Looking forward to the other 2 episodes .

Could it make a full blown series like dr who ? or would it spoil it?
It is a series...Episode 2 next week.The Blind Banker.
Old 26-07-2010, 19:24   #19
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
It is a series...Episode 2 next week.The Blind Banker.
only 3 nights though ,i mean 12 or so episodes
Old 26-07-2010, 19:46   #20
speedfreak
Inactive

speedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appealspeedfreak has a bronzed appeal

3 episodes? Bummer
Old 26-07-2010, 19:49   #21
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
3 episodes? Bummer
definately showing promise for a proper series though
Old 26-07-2010, 20:01   #22
speedfreak
Inactive

Any decent series would be good on a Sunday, Sunday evenings are cack for TV
Old 26-07-2010, 20:01   #23
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

If it is successful then short series as per Frost would be better as it keeps the interest and expectations up.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 01:34   #24
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Finally watched it tonight.

Very impressed

Shame it's only a three parter.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 09:12   #25
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I also watched the whole thing this time via iPlayer, and as it got further in, it got more amusing and intruiging. Will watch parts 2 and 3
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 09:14   #26
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
Any decent series would be good on a Sunday, Sunday evenings are cack for TV
So is most of the week...
Old 03-08-2010, 11:10   #27
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

Had to watch Top Gear on BBC HD later that night because the SD version of Top Gear (on earlier) clashed with Sherlock and my wife loves it.

I must say that i think it's very good can't wait for the next episode.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:30   #28
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Interesting take but I didn't like the messing with the actual story "Study in Scarlet" which wasn't simply the murdering antics of a psychotic cabbie.

Mycroft isn't very accurate either, being a person who never leaves his club.
Old 03-08-2010, 13:11   #29
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I think it's to be taken as 'loosely based on' rather than an attempt at a faithful adaptation. There is too much about Victorian society that simply doesn't translate into the early 21st century. If you take it for what it is rather than trying to compare notes with Conan Doyle's original stories, I think it's a hugely enjoyable piece of TV.

One of the most delicious ironies about it is that throughout the 70s and 80s comparisons were drawn between Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who, especially in the relationship between the Doctor and his companion and between the Doctor and the Master. Now, we have a new Holmes which is being made for TV by several of those who have been most closely involved in the new Doctor Who TV series at BBC Wales - episode 2 was even directed by Euros Lyn, who has 11 full-episode credits to his name since 2005.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 22:34   #30
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

This is a bit like the US series Monk.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote