Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Two PC's via Netgear router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Two PC's via Netgear router?

Old 12-03-2009, 17:18   #16
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Two PC's via Netgear router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Ah right southwell, i was under the impression that the yellow ethernet was wired slightly differently, my apologies

initially i had loads of problems with the connection through the vm supplied but now its absoluteley spot on, as i did the port forwarding (not triggering), assigned ip addresses to all appliances, opened nat and lowered mtu to 1400 on the router and dissabled the spi firewall.

downloads always take less than 10 mins, and the gameplay online is absoluteley fantastic.

I played all night last night on cod5 and kicked butt all night, whereas before the connection on the ps3 was almost unplayable on cod5.

Initially i did what you did and tried it directly through the modem, and the difference was staggering, so i knew the router was the problem, thankfully thats set up now, and working a dream, and the connection on the ps3 is better than my xbox.
Mines exactly the same except SPI and MTU, ill give your settings a try, cheers mate.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2009, 07:48   #17
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
Mines exactly the same except SPI and MTU, ill give your settings a try, cheers mate.

How did you get on southwell, I forgot to mention, what port numbers did you use for the ps3
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 08:12   #18
southwell
Inactive

southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
How did you get on southwell, I forgot to mention, what port numbers did you use for the ps3
I used the ports on port forward.
I didn't go into a party last night so i am unsure how that part is, i only got 3 bars but it did drop to 2 and start lagging, i might try direct connecting and then plug the router in to do a proper comparison.

Cheers
Old 13-03-2009, 08:20   #19
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

That doesnt sound too good, if you can try to find out what port numbers you used + i will let you know the ones i was given by netgear, there was 5 or 6 if i remember right maybe more.

only diff is i didnt use port forward to configure mine i did it myself.

back on topic, ive not heard anything back from the original poster so one can only pressume all is ok now.
Old 18-03-2009, 14:14   #20
southwell
Inactive

Heres a strange one. 4 bars connection for the last two nights, as soon as i enter or host a party i drop to 3 bars, coincidence? I'm not so sure...
Old 18-03-2009, 15:26   #21
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Heres a strange one. 4 bars connection for the last two nights, as soon as i enter or host a party i drop to 3 bars, coincidence? I'm not so sure...
Funny you should mention it, for the last 2 nights ive noticed a slight dip in performance, ive been playing cod5 on the ps3.

Started getting really laggy at one point, and i noticed the router wireless light blinking dead regularly, even though nothing wireless was being used.

I rebooted just the router and all went back to normal.

I occasionally get the same probs as you, but normally if i,m hosting say a 3 player private match, i will stay at 4 bars, but if one of my friends host's he gets 4 bars and i get 3.

I always run a quick speed test actually on the ps3 before i go online with it, and last night it indicated my download was about 12000kbps, but after the reboot it shot back up again, to over 50,000kbps

wierd, maybe some gremlins had crawled up the ar5e of my router
Old 25-03-2009, 14:24   #22
southwell
Inactive

I added another port i found on a PSN thread and everyone on my team had 4 bars last night and no problems joining my party. It seems there is anohter port to unblock which portforward doesn't tell you about. I have SPI on and MTU at 1500.
Old 25-03-2009, 15:14   #23
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
I added another port i found on a PSN thread and everyone on my team had 4 bars last night and no problems joining my party. It seems there is anohter port to unblock which portforward doesn't tell you about. I have SPI on and MTU at 1500.

So finally you are a happy chappy, glad to hear it, what was the additional port you had to add.

Just curious

It looks like ive got to do a full hard reset of my router, due to me dissabling the NAT, and now it wont go back to secured (bummer), I spent ages setting it all up initially.

Ive now got SPI back on
But MTU is still 1400.

Ive noticed that although i have forwarded all my ports for the ps3, the UPNP facility which is still enabled opens up one of the ports ive already forwarded ? Strange