Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems with new D-Link DIR-645

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems with new D-Link DIR-645

Old 11-11-2012, 20:09   #16
Drumalien
Inactive

Drumalien is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Problems with new D-Link DIR-645

I have just bought one of these to replace a DIR-615. The signal strength is very poor unless you are within 10 feet on the same floor. My 615 gives a full signal in most rooms but I wanted a better signal in my kitchen which is the furthest point from the router. I have tried different channels and it still gives a weaker signal than the 615. Considering these are sold as giving a strong signal in all rooms I think this is very poor.
Drumalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2012, 20:37   #17
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

how much did you pay for it? nonetheless return it and buy a better future proof router. My advice... an Asus RT-N66U, TP-Link TL-WDR4300 or Linksys E4200.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 21:05   #18
Drumalien
Inactive

I bought it new on ebay for 35 quid and they are arguing that if it gives a signal it is working even though it's selling point is a strong signal in every room regardless of walls floors or other factors which may affect signals. Funny how in the small print on the box it has a disclaimer saying these things may affect it. I think this is misleading advertising at best by D-link. A bold claim on the box for something as poor as this (if this is not faulty).
Old 11-11-2012, 21:16   #19
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

screw the box. when did you buy it? you have a right for a refund what does the sellers refund policy state?
Old 11-11-2012, 21:29   #20
Drumalien
Inactive

It was a private seller. They say they bought it and got their old one working and so did not use it. I think they realised it was rubbish and got rid. I also noticed it was showing 148 and not 300 on inSSIDer and as it is a 300 router seemed odd. My 615 is showing 300 with a full signal. I was just getting low rates streaming youtube and wanted to stream HD. This is supposed to be all singing all dancing but seems not to be the case.
Old 11-11-2012, 21:38   #21
thenry
Inactive

so there was no return policy stated? check the listing again. did you pay via paypal?

you have changed rate to 300 via D-Links settings web interface ?
Old 11-11-2012, 21:56   #22
Drumalien
Inactive

The only option is best available or something along those lines. It was an auto setting. I paid via paypal. They have said they will take it back and if after they have tested it if works they will deduct 20% as it is no longer new. It came without a lan cable which is listed on the package contents and so in my eyes this is not complete. I have read the pdf instructions and it states it should be centrally located in open space with the devices in direct line of sight above, below or to the side with doors open and no glass. brick or wireless telephones around. Just have a read on one of their adverts and see what it says it will do. They might as well say hard wire everything. Who has a router in the middle of a room in the middle of their house?
Old 11-11-2012, 22:04   #23
thenry
Inactive

qas.

you need to argue for a full refund. if there was no policy then dont give 20%. when theres an agreement for a refund send the item back first class recorded even if the seller pays for a return for say 2nd class just add a pound or two extra for proof its got back to the seller. have you contacted paypal?
Old 11-11-2012, 22:19   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
TP-Link TL-WDR4300
I'd hold off on recommending that until I've had a chance to measure its output power. The only previous 5Ghz TP-Link router (WR2543ND) had pretty pitiful 5Ghz amps.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:47   #25
Drumalien
Inactive

I have tried it in the centre of the house with better results. I get four bars upstairs and four or five down with it in my hall. Unfortunately I have no cabling to the hall ( I used a huge cat 5 cable ) and so am back to square one. Unless I want to run three extremely long cat 5 cables to the hall to run the internet and two lan then it can not be put there. This is not explained on any of the advertising. I would imagine any router doing the same job placed in this position as there is virtually no distance to travel. It does not send signals downwards as well as it does upwards. Something to think about if you were looking at one of these.
Old 12-11-2012, 20:58   #26
thenry
Inactive

useless junk. has the seller said anything? paypal?

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

by the way the Asus RT-N56U is pretty decent too and a cheaper than the RT-N66U. simultaneous band functioning and gigabit as well
Old 13-11-2012, 12:56   #27
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The reviews say it's pretty good actually, thanks to its six (or was it 8) antenna beamforming array. Tried turning it upside down? :P
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote